Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$20 Suit, or How to Modify an Uniform into a Suit

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
I recently bought two cheap ex-Belgian Army twill wool dress uniforms (mint, made in 1991) mainly for their trousers. However I have an article from 1944 Edition of Finnish magazine Suomen Kuvalehti which shows how to modify old army uniforms into satisfactory suit jackets by changing few of the key details. This got me thinking of reshaping these jackets into more civilian ones. How would you play this one out? I'm thinking changing the buttons (wooden/bone?), removing the epaulettes & lower cargo pockets and adding some curvage to the lower part of the jacket.

Belgian parade uniform, brown, as new
20091.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I believe there was a thread several years ago where a member did this with a surplus U.S. Army uniform. I'm unable to find that thread though, it would probably be helpful to you.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think it is a good idea and will be an interesting experiment but my concern would be the colour. That shade of green will always look military. If it were grey it might work. It could be converted to look like the Finnish country suits that were posted in a thread a few months ago. I can't remember which thread - maybe 'Show us your German suits' which included suits from across Europe).

Try it - post the results here and hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
A few points to consider:

Sounds like an interesting project- something so crazy, I might try it myself! :p
First off, someone mentioned the color could be too military- honestly, look around at modern suits. Every suit you see is basically "Armed Forces" colors.
Black, navy, olive green, and taupe. Sound familiar?
Take a good look at your suits and try to determine how much wear they have- when you remove the patch pockets, you may have "Tanlines."
Also, if the jacket is fully lined, maybe try to pop it open someplace and look inside- depending on how much canvasing was done, it may become too difficult to reshape the torso.
Odds are if it truly is a modern jacket, the padding and canvasing is minimal- you should be fine.
Between the Belgian and the East German uniforms, there are enough surplus uniforms to redress half the globe.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Also, the braided cord on the sleeves are most likely a break in the sleeve- that is, the upper portion stops, the braid was added, then the lower portion was added to finish the length.
Taking that braid out will probably give you a line across the forearm area.....
Check to confirm though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn