Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20 Things You Should NEVER Buy Used

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I've bought about a quarter of that list used in the past, and there's another quarter I wouldn't think twice about. Some of the (safety related) ones make sense, though.

reetpleat said:

And having a dad who has owned a used tire shop for 30 years, i can attest that they are both safe, and lucrative for the dealer.

Is that shop up this way? If so, I may well have done business with him.

Have you been up this way long enough to remember the sandwich-board sign reading "Hi, I'm Marty, and I love to fix flat tires"? He used to be in that old gas station right at the western side of the eastbound span of the old West Seattle drawbridge. That's going back decades now, and everything in that scene is long gone. Last I heard of Marty, his shop was in another old station out on Ambaum Boulevard.

I'll hand this much to the used tire dealers: At least they call 'em "used," and not "pre-owned." That "pre-owned" stuff is such a transparently shifty use of the language I'd think that if people stopped long enough to give it any thought they'd be embarrassed they ever said it. I still like the sense and sound of "secondhand," although in many cases it probably isn't literally correct. Some of this old, used stuff has changed hands more times than that.

reetpleat said:

And having a dad who has owned a used tire shop for 30 years, i can attest that they are both safe, and lucrative for the dealer.

Is that shop up this way? If so, I may well have done business with him.

Have you been in the area long enough to remember the hand-painted sandwich-board sign reading "Hi, I'm Marty, and I love to fix flat tires"? He used to be in that old gas station right at the western side of the eastbound span of the old West Seattle drawbridge. That's going back decades now, and everything in that scene is long gone. Last I heard of Marty, his shop was in another old station out on Ambaum Boulevard.

I'll hand this much to the used tire dealers: At least they call 'em "used," and not "pre-owned." That "pre-owned" talk is such a transparently shifty use of the language I'd think that if people stopped long enough to give it any thought they'd be embarrassed they ever said it. I still like the sense and sound of "secondhand," although in many cases it probably isn't literally correct. Some of this old, used stuff has changed hands more times than that.

Zaxxon

New in Town
Good to see that with all the different flavors we have here, still common sense is ruling.
I just bought an original set of cutlery of the 20's for my picnic set (5 Euros) even though somebody mights have had it in his mouth frequently. ;)
Why stick with modern copies when originals are so cheap?

Zaxxon

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Does this silly author think stores throw clothing away after someone tries it on and doesn't buy it? I don't think she has ever heard of cleaning!

OK, I have actually purchased used items from 16 of the 20 on the list. I have three used Electrolux vacuums that I paid $20 each for - they will all outlive me. I have owned countless used hats, if they need to be cleaned I clean them.

I don't have kids so didn't ever need 1 or 2 but if I did have kids I would for SURE have bought used. That stuff goes for 10 cents on the dollar at yard sales.

I don't wear makeup so 18 is another I never had to think about. Those same yard sales have lots of un-opened makeup for pennies so if I was a makeup wearer I'd probably check off another.

AND, I have never purchased a used swimsuit. But if that green one Raquel Welch wore in Fathom ever came available I could check off the last one.

Glad I don't know the person who wrote that article, she would drive me freaking crazy!

BTW, she is just completely in outer space on number 15.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
"Cootie phobia" is not necessarily a bad thing. I bought one item of used clothing, an overcoat which seemed pretty safe. It had a used, damp kleenex in the pocket.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Richard Warren said:
"Cootie phobia" is not necessarily a bad thing. I bought one item of used clothing, an overcoat which seemed pretty safe. It had a used, damp kleenex in the pocket.
Use a fresh kleenex to take it out, and then wash out the pocket or have the entire shebang dry cleaned.

Not that hard, is it?

SiennaWu

New in Town
I disagree with not buying second-hand shoes. Some of my best purchases were from the op shop.
I would draw the line at underwear or swim wear, only because they are items which wear out easily anyway from the first owner.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Good Sense

Buying used is the way to go ecologically. Common sense should guide ANY purchase, however. Smell it, hold it up to some daylight, check it for flaws, etc., then take it home, clean it, and pat yourself on the back for not having spent 20 times more for the item new.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I think used is a great way to go. I have a few used clothing items and shoes. I'll admit I'm a little too lazy to go searching hard for good used stuff, but its the only way most of us can afford to experience some of the wonderful vintage items that aren't made anymore. Like my vintage Florsheim Imperials for $7 off ebay, they were used, but they have conformed to my feet and were cleaned, so now I have a sweet pair of long wings

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I'm kind of finicky and like to dampen my own tissues, with my own bodily fluids, or those of a loved one.

The dry cleaning bill doubled my investment in the coat, to around $50 total. Its a nice coat. I bought it to wear walking my dog in the winter. For some reason I ended up wearing my trench coat instead.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Since in the world of digital cameras everybody want the latest and the greatest.
You can pick up last years model for cheap on e-bay.
I have a SD100 and a SD400 that I paid less then $100 each for, the new models were selling for $300 to $400.
Since you have to reduce the file size to post online anyway I have no need for the latest 12 meg wonder camera, but when 20 megs is the latest thing I can probably get a 12 for $100.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
That's right people! Consume, consume, consume, or you're a bad citizen.

Seriously, though, I will agree that there’s no excuse for buying (or re-selling) old baby-safety items. Car seats have an expiration date, and it’s not just there to sell you a new one.

On the other hand, lots of good used tires ended up on the market as a result of "Cash for Clunkers", so it's not fair to assume the tires were in a wreck.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails