Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 : ALICE IN WONDERLAND

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In my opinion, the character design, especially the Mad Hatter, looks a little... weird. Anyone else think the same? They should have (it's too late now) toned down all that makeup. Kinda creepy looking.

Lefty said:
Burton really needs to just stop. He's only getting worse.

The story.

Ahahaha, that video was funny (as in campy/cheesy), but I'm not sure what to make of it yet...

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I'm on the fence about seeing this one now, as a friend of mine went with coworkers yesterday, and one of them fell asleep. [huh] My friend remarked that the movie was "okay", which I was surprised to hear (she's a big Depp fan).

I'm a fan of Burton's work, but have been a little turned off since Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (decent flicks, but not favorites by a long shot). I may hold off on seeing this til it hits dvd, unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

Edward

Bartender
J B said:
In my opinion, the character design, especially the Mad Hatter, looks a little... weird. Anyone else think the same? They should have (it's too late now) toned down all that makeup. Kinda creepy looking.

I love it, but then in my mind the characters were all supposed to be creepy.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I'm with Edward...Burton's hallmark is creepiness...the imagery and colors were amazing, even down to the orange tinge of The Hatter's mercury-poisoned hair (evidence of his....madness?) ;)
Rob

Edward

Bartender
It's Burton's hallmark, but in my view the chratcers in their origin were meant to be dark, nightmarish, creepy, sinister..... I do lean to the view that too many folks have had their opinions somewhat distorted by Disney sanitisation...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I saw this Sunday night. My wife fell asleep.

It's nicely acted, but unfortunately was scripted by dolts and filmed with a disgregard for 3D, which was the format I saw it in.

Burton should be ashamed.

The 'Futterwacken' sequence at the end was the equivalent of someone giving me the finger, just after ripping me off.

Kaonashi

Familiar Face
Creeping Past said:
The 'Futterwacken' sequence at the end was the equivalent of someone giving me the finger, just after ripping me off.

AT LAST SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME!!!!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I think I would have liked it better if it was called "Back to Wonderland" or "The Chronicles of Alice". It's a gorgeous film, but it wasn't Alice in Wonderland. Didn't anyone learn anything from "Hook"? :)

December

One of the Regulars
I saw this on Friday and I have to agree with whoever said it was ok.

I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton (despite my morbid fear of Edward Scissorhands) and Johnny Depp, but I didn't think this was great. It was enjoyable, but nothing memorable.

I think the highlight for me was the creepy landscape when Alice first enters "underland" (except for the bushes shaped like animals. I have a fear of them- due to my Scissorhands phobia!).

Depp certainly fulfilled the brief of a "mad" hatter, but I found the chracter very similar to his Willy Wonka, who I wasn't particularly enamoured with in the first place.

On a personal note, I would have liked a lot more of the caterpillar, but that's only because Alan Rickman makes me feel all funny inside :p

Finally, I was disappointed with the 3D aspect. I've seen Up and Coraline (with my 10 year old brother!) in 3D and I thought they were both fantastic in those visuals. I have a feeling that Alice in Wonderland would be hardly any different in 2D, and about half the ticket price!!

Oh, and that dance at the end... Eeurgh, is all I can say! It was irritating, annoying and a waste of CGI. Though the 12 year olds in the audience loved it.

So in summary... it was ok. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
December said:
On a personal note, I would have liked a lot more of the caterpillar, but that's only because Alan Rickman makes me feel all funny inside :p

Me, too...and I'm a man....;)

Oh, and that dance at the end... Eeurgh, is all I can say! It was irritating, annoying and a waste of CGI. Though the 12 year olds in the audience loved it.

What most folks don't know, that except for the spinning head, that is a real guy dancing, not CGI. Illusionary dancer David Bernal doubles for Johnny Depp during the "futterwacken" sequence near the end of the film....check him out on YouTube; the guy is amazing! :)
Rob

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Ghostsoldier said:
What most folks don't know, that except for the spinning head, that is a real guy dancing, not CGI. Illusionary dancer David Bernal doubles for Johnny Depp during the "futterwacken" sequence near the end of the film....check him out on YouTube; the guy is amazing! :)
Rob

That's as maybe, but it came at the end of a poorly scripted, exceedingly poorly paced movie, thus making it an unwelcome intrusion despite its being the most lively element in the entire proceedings.

Futterwacken was as welcome as a hearty South Pacific musical number would have been at the end of Saving Private Ryan.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
It's Burton's hallmark, but in my view the chratcers in their origin were meant to be dark, nightmarish, creepy, sinister..... I do lean to the view that too many folks have had their opinions somewhat distorted by Disney sanitisation...

Yup. The original stories were much darker/creepier than many folks are willing to accept.

December

One of the Regulars
Ghostsoldier said:
Rob

That's interesting. In that case, he's clearly talented. However, I still think it's unnecessary and annoying. I don't know, I just don't like that effect. Sort of like the Evian babies.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
Yup. The original stories were much darker/creepier than many folks are willing to accept.

The problem with the original stories (in my opinion) is the disjointed nature of the narrative....it is hard to follow for a lot of folks who read it for the first time, and also being out of the context of the time it was written, the ironies and nuances (and the logic and satire) is lost on modern readers....I guess that's why Burton 'created' his own story line, using elements from both books. :)
Rob

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Ghostsoldier said:
The problem with the original stories (in my opinion) is the disjointed nature of the narrative....it is hard to follow for a lot of folks who read it for the first time, and also being out of the context of the time it was written, the ironies and nuances (and the logic and satire) is lost on modern readers....I guess that's why Burton 'created' his own story line, using elements from both books. :)
Rob

I'm just guessing, but I'd say the vast majority of the hundreds of thousands of people who've enjoyed Carroll's stories over the past 100 years or so see absolutely no problem with the way they're ordered.

The urge to provide a story arc leads us precisely to Futterwacken. There's a lesson waiting to be learnt in that sorry trajectory for Burton, for Hollywood and for the rest of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner