Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2011 Happy New Year!!!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Having some close friends over this evening for a traditional, Southern New Year's Day meal. I've slow cooked a home-made, smoke-cured ham and browned it with a brown mustard and bread-crumb glaze. I've cooked enough collards to feed an army. I've put on a huge pot of black-eyed peas seasoned with a split ham hock. I'm also baking a dozen cinnamon and butter sweet potatoes. A little closer to mealtime, I'll stir up a big batch of coarse-ground cornbread...I'll bake some of it, I'll fry some. Then we'll wash it down with gallons of sweet tea and bourbon. For dessert...its homemade rum cake, sweet potato pie and pecan pie.

Then...after we're good and stuffed...and buzzed....we'll break out the flattop guitars.:D

Happy 2011, Loungers!

AF

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Having some close friends over this evening for a traditional, Southern New Year's Day meal... closer to mealtime, I'll stir up a big batch of coarse-ground cornbread...I'll bake some of it, I'll fry some. Then we'll wash it down with gallons of sweet tea and bourbon. For dessert...its homemade rum cake, sweet potato pie and pecan pie.

AF

Cornbread...brings back memories of long-ago Louisiana dawns, egg coffee,
and champagne breakfasts in New Orleans. And grits too. :D
This Illinois Yankee misses the South.:love:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Anyone have any New Year's customs? Here in central PA, we have an old German tradition that we eat pork and saurer kraut on this day for good luck.

Any others?
We have plenty here.
Traditional foods.
Zoni. Special soup with mochi (rice cake) in it. Two types of soup, clear soup with square cut mochi, which is my family's tradition, and white miso with round mochi, my husbands's family's tradition.
[
07zouni2CW.jpg
07zounimiso003CW.jpg

Osechi, tradtional New Year boxed food, cooked so they will last 2-3 days. This is for a family of 4, and lasts us for 2 days.
2011Osechi2CutW.jpg

Other traditional Japanese New Year shindig here.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=47656&id=735249678&l=f459667fdb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot