Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

24 Hours of Barbara Stanwyck

Feraud

Bartender
Midnight Palace said:
Right you are sir :) Also, everyone thought the blond wig was hideous, including Wilder after her saw the entire finished film, but it was too late to take it out so they left it in and claimed it to be intentional.
Barbara certainly broke the "dumb blonde" stereotype in the film. MacMurray took his time to realize Barb was taking him for a ride.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The best book I've ever seen on Miss Stanwyck is "Starring Miss Barbara Stanwyck" by Ella Smith. Unfortunately, I believe it is out of print but it really is worth tracking down for the photographs alone. A nice overview of her career with some intelligent examinations of her films. Many libraries have a copy, I believe.

I've always thought Barbara was underrated--she's one of my favorites; you really feel what she feels in films. She can also make me cry at the drop of a hat; the only actress who does that better is Judy Garland.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
24 hours of Miss Stanwyck, (much as I like her) would give me Stanwyck indigestion :eek: Nothing I can do about it [huh]
Like Bette Davies and Joan Crawford and can only take her in small doses.
That being said, I love them all three just the same! :)

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
I love all of Barbara Stanwyck's movies but I hated her television show--"The Big Valley". Now Loretta Young is another matter---loved her movies and her television show!

cgab1

One of the Regulars
I love Stanwyck, she's very exciting on screen. Hard to pick between her and Bette Davis, though. They are both truly great!

HadleyH said:
24 hours of Miss Stanwyck, (much as I like her) would give me Stanwyck indigestion :eek: Nothing I can do about it [huh]
Like Bette Davies and Joan Crawford and can only take her in small doses.
That being said, I love them all three just the same! :)

Feraud

Bartender
Just a reminder about the 24 hrs. of Barbara Stanwyck running on TCM on the 16th.
Midnight Palace said:
Here are the films they will run, in order:

JULY 16, 2007 TCM

6:00am - Night Nurse (1931)
7:15am - A Lost Lady (1934)
8:30am - Ladies They Talk About (1933)
9:45am - Breakfast For Two (1937)
11:00am - Meet John Doe (1941)
1:15pm - Christmas In Connecticut (1945)
3:15pm - The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947)
5:00pm - Jeopardy (1953)
6:15pm - These Wilder Years (1956)
8:00pm - Baby Face (1933)
9:30pm - Barbara Stanwyck: Fire and Desire (1991)
10:30pm - Annie Oakley (1935)
12:15am - Clash By Night (1952)
2:15am - Executive Suite (1954)
4:15am - Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

Feraud

Bartender
Jack Scorpion said:
Sorry, Wrong Number has been on my list for a long time. Don't think I can wake up that early in the morning to cross that one off, though.

Sorry, Wrong Number is showing this Saturday at 8 p.m. Check it out.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Since I was home and sick on the couch yesterday, I managed to catch a few Stanwyck movies in between passing out from cold medicine. I watched Meet John Doe, Jeopardy, and Baby Face, none of which I'd seen before.

I really enjoyed Baby Face. I had a bit of a chuckle each time the director panned up the building as Lilly made her conquests. I hadn't seen a pre-code movie before, and the overt innuendo was a little bit shocking even as it entertained.

Meet John Doe ran a little long, though Gary Cooper's reactions to Stanwyck were great. Jeopardy had a few interestingly composed shots, but overall the story was somewhat thin and Stanwyck's costars weren't up to par.

Hondo

One Too Many
Jeopardy

Thats probably a better word (Thin) as I thought it was "little" and even (after stars salaries) low budget out door yarn, I laughed at the Hollywood image of poor Mexicans (rope) and Federal Police, shoot machine guns first, ask questions later, Even the fishing boat scene, Dad & son waving at fishing boat for help ” Hola Turistas” (Hello Tourists) Enjoy your stay Americanos!!!! lol first time I saw a young Berry Sullivan, it wasn’t a great film but it had Barbara, typical Ralph Meeker, cool crook with half heart of gold, all that work and still no girl? lol I'm still laughing about this, criminals sure were tame back in early 1950s, no real hard violence lol

Polka Dot said:
Since I was home and sick on the couch yesterday, I managed to catch a few Stanwyck movies in between passing out from cold medicine. I watched Meet John Doe, Jeopardy, and Baby Face, none of which I'd seen before.

I really enjoyed Baby Face. I had a bit of a chuckle each time the director panned up the building as Lilly made her conquests. I hadn't seen a pre-code movie before, and the overt innuendo was a little bit shocking even as it entertained.

Meet John Doe ran a little long, though Gary Cooper's reactions to Stanwyck were great. Jeopardy had a few interestingly composed shots, but overall the story was somewhat thin and Stanwyck's costars weren't up to par.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Jeopardy

How good was that film? And the Ford (?) roadster? Woooo! The Forties had some values in Hollywood despite the background Babylon culture (aka LA Confidential).

Thank God the lunatics were not able to live their sordid lives out in screen like today.

The way Stanwyck was portrayed (having to do whatever it took to save her husband) when put into the contemporary frame of the staunch 40s public morality was amazing.

My only query. Was that the world's slowest tide?

As I said, I just about DVR'ed the whole tribute. I started off last night watching The Two Mrs. Carrolls. Now, I love Bogart, he's probably my favorite actor. Stanwyck? I'm crazy about the gal. So, with these 2 combined, I knew it was going to be a good time!

NOTE: Please do not divulge the ending in your replies, I'm about 20 mins away from finishing the movie. I was starting to fall asleep last night so I had to turn it off but I'll finish watching it tonight.

I am REALLY enjoying this flick though. It's cool to see Bogie as a villain :)

tmcmh9.jpg

Stiff Collared

New in Town
Barbara Stanwyck biography

Hopefully, the definitive Stanwyck biography by Victoria Wilson is too be published soon. She has been toiling on this book for over 10 years, and has lots of private letters and information from Barbara's good friend, columnist Shirley Eder. I have been a Stanwyck fan since I saw her in My Reputation in 1946. Since then I have aquired 87 of her 88 films, I'm just missing her first film, a silent called Broadway Nights filmed in New York when she was 20 years old in 1927. I was fortunate to meet her at The Lincoln Centre Tribute to her in April 1981. When I told her that I had come all the way from London to see her in the flesh she said, "We must have a photo taken together after you have travelled all that way to see me". She was just as lovely as I knew she would be, she didn't have to do that, and it was an experience that I will never forget, posing with my arms around my favourite lady's waist. I run a very active group for her and you can see the photo's of us in there. I would be glad to welcome any fans of Barbara, just click on the following link... www.groups.yahoo.com/group/MissBarbaraStanwyck
Incidentally, The Lady Eve is not only my favourite Stanwyck film, but my favourite film of all time! Incredible to realise that she was not even nominated for her stunning performance.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw "The Mad Miss Manton" 1938 tonight and loved it! I've been trying to find a showing of this on the big screen for years.

Wacky mystery/comedy about a dizzy heiress investigating a murder with her 6 Park Avenue Deb girlfriends (!), Henry Fonda as the newspaper editor who falls in love with her and Sam Levene (also seen in 2 of the Thin Man movies) as the put upon Police Lt. Hattie McDaniel also makes the most of her limited screen time.

The dialogue had my audience howling (both intentionally and unintentionally). Samples; "You're up to your beautiful hips in murder!" and when Henry Fonda is faking his own death and requests that a cop sing "Home on the Range" (you have to be there). There are several scenes that exist simply so that Barbara and her friends can parade down a staircase and show off their fabulous costumes (evening gowns, furs, suits, etc.).

If this one is included in any Stanwyck retrospectives near you be sure to go; it's a formula movie and not "The Lady Eve" by any stretch but you'll have a wonderful time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael