Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s-40s British Workwear Influenced Style

Metatron

One Too Many
BNB, your charity shop find looks the part, with it's pointed, generous collar.
I see plenty of spearpoint collared shirts in the local charity shops, not always in a cloth/colour that I like, but it shows that the design was still popular in the 1980s and 1990s. It looks like the general shrinking of collars that took place thereafter is to blame for it's demise.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
let's not forget that working men wore suits too, as typified here by the Jarrow marchers, 1936:

Jarrow_Marchers_en_route_to_London_zps9fwewgwf.jpg

Edward

Bartender
BNB, your charity shop find looks the part, with it's pointed, generous collar.
I see plenty of spearpoint collared shirts in the local charity shops, not always in a cloth/colour that I like, but it shows that the design was still popular in the 1980s and 1990s. It looks like the general shrinking of collars that took place thereafter is to blame for it's demise.

The bizarre thing that I've seen in the past ten years is how the spread or Windsor collar has come to dominate men's shirting to such an extent. It's a look that was around back then, certainly (that's always the immediated giveaway that even the best 'vintage' photo is a recreation - everybody's wearing a spearpoint collar! :p ), but I don't remember another time when one style was so dominant.

Fellow Workers ;)
Here is me wearing the new 'Retro Sport' cap. I really like it, BUT I'd say it definitely has a 'European' look about it, rather than British. Paired it with some thick Danish army trousers and a nice wool tie.

(Sorry for the squint!)

Sharp look, nicely done! I'm enjoying the revivial in the eight-dart cap style. Got a couple myself now, with an intent to pick up more. Still enjoy my eight panels, but these really are great too. In particular, I like the simpliciy of the eight-dart when you want to showcase the fabric design/pattern...

Last time a number of us got together and ordered in bulk. One person took delivery then posted/delivered them (that was easy though, we were all in the London area). Might still be worth considering.

Anything ever happen on this? If I could get at least a couple of pairs of thoe Danish trews, I'm in... I love that scratchy wool style they have (Herself, not so much. In our household, they're known as "The Angry Trousers").

I love the solemn wording in the advert
'This shirt is generally worn by the artisan class.'

Reminds me of that "I know my place" class skit...

Edward

Bartender
Dabbling with a French workwear look last Saturday, at a shoot by Hanson Leatherby:

11149682_522329204586850_1546940338955450079_o.jpg

I put this link on the British Workwear thread, but it might be useful here:

http://www.woodsofshropshire.co.uk/blue-stripe-cotton-grandad-shirt-from-magee

Great, cotton flannel, Irish collarless workshirts with a great period look to the pattern. I recently picked up the blue, green and red stripe options. Didn't buy the black as it didn't look quite right to me, but these are lovely to wear. Great with a neckerchief (I'm wearing one in the above shot).

For the 'workwear with a tie' look, I'd recommend these from Angels' Wardrobe Supplies:

product.jpg

Not easy to see from the picture, but the collar is a lovely, British-style spearpoint, very thirties. They have the pockets for collar stiffeners, though I'd say for the look, don't use 'em. No labelling on the shirts themselves as to content, but I'm pretty sure they're all-cotton. Do order up a size, though; my first one I didn't, and it shrunk in the wash so as the collar is just a bit too tight. (I'm replacing it and will be putting this one - in the blue & white stripe - up on the Classifieds soon. Labelled 16.5", but more like a 15.5-16", if that's of interest). New, they wrk out about £45, all in:

https://www.wardrobesupplies.co.uk/...subcategory?subcategory_id=181&category_id=47

My Soldier of Fortune Repro Greyback has also arrived; I'll report back on how I find that.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Nice spearpoint shirt, and reasonably priced. I'm tempted to try one.

Could you please post a more detailed pic of the collar?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm sorry, but I don't think these can be Edwardian, as the style of the house's architecture is of the 1920s at the earliest.

I'm not sure about that. I always thought that style was at least 1920s but there is a period of flux where various styles were being built. I'm going to check a book I've got on Victorian & Edwardian architecture but I recall that the Arts and Crafts influenced features and designs came into use on a fairly wide scale earlier than we tend to imagine.

The houses opposite mine look 1920s but were actually built around 1905. Whereas my house looks 1880s but wasn't built until 1906 (they started the street in the late 1880s and built the homes in pairs, never changing the style, over a period of 20 years).

Hal

Practically Family
I'm not sure about that. I always thought that style was at least 1920s but there is a period of flux where various styles were being built. I'm going to check a book I've got on Victorian & Edwardian architecture but I recall that the Arts and Crafts influenced features and designs came into use on a fairly wide scale earlier than we tend to imagine.
You are absolutely right in this. In my experience, the style depicted (clearly influenced by Arts and Crafts) in the photo was still being built in the mid-to-late 1930s in my part of the world (160 miles from London), when houses in a more modernistic style were being built in the Home Counties. New styles in all aesthetic matters in Britain tend to start from south-east England and move out from there. I suspect that there are far fewer examples of avant-garde - one could say "anticipated" - building-styles than of those which linger beyond their height of fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner