Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s/40s industrial style on the cheap

sartana

New in Town
I have been pleased, considering the cost, with the unhemmed Dickies 874 pants which I put 2" cuffs on. Based on period catalog examples, when set up this way, they have a pretty nice early 1950's vibe about them.

The Ben Davis - Original Ben's - have a good roomy cut and seem to have a nice period vibe about them as well. 1940's?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pointer Brand do timeless, affordable workwear that isn't marketed at the 'fashion' audience.
Although Pointer has not gone so far as Carhartt but it has done some collaborations with fashion brands including Junya Watanabe of Comme des Garcons.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.649323215094934.1073741842.351298774897381&type=1
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...bel-pointer-brand-hits-high-fashion-note.html

Ben Davis also makes streetwear pieces for Japanese market or they license the Japanese to make them.
http://hypebeast.com/2009/10/ben-davis-2009-fallwinter-collection
I have a couple of pairs of Dickies but I rarely wear them as I do not like polyester mix clothing. I prefer Carhartt duck pants which is still being sold at reasonable price. If you are into the classic style and made in America workwear then there is a company called Stan Ray.
http://stanray.us/
https://www.allseasonsuniforms.com/eacat.htm
Other than the fact that it was established in 1972, it sells pretty much the same classic workwear as any of those mentioned here at affordable prices.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
I have been doing some searching, and I have to say that Americans have access to some really nice workwear brands.
Classic cuts that don't look out of place as casual wear, and being made for work are most likely of better quality.
One US workwear item that I have taken a liking to is the hickory striped pullover half zip shirt. Very vintage looking.

I will add Key Apparel to the other brands covered in this thread.
A brand that has been around for 100+ years.
I haven't owned their products, but they look good, and have consistently good reviews, often compared to Carhartt.

Claudio

Vendor
ON a slightly different note, make sure you get your accessories right (if you do indeed want to go full on and not limit it to your clothes). Decent haircut, eyewear, watches, caps, hats, clothing fit is also important etc - I have seen many people who don't look right not because of the clothes but with the hair cut. or the awkaward fit or other small details which really make it or bust it.

fathergoose

New in Town
I live in Japan, and almost every year Uniqlo comes out with something vintage-flavored if not downright retro. *Their blue work shirts come in three shades: blue, darker blue and almost black. *Flapped pockets. The fit is closer to a 30's/40's fit. *A bit slim but not form fitting. *Dark colored buttons are a nice touch. *Their regular khakis are somewhere in-between Steve McQueen's in the The Great Escape and Bullitt. *Not much color variation, though. *Khaki and more khaki. *Small change pocket and hidden inner pocket. *No buttons on the back pockets, sadly. *But cheap, cheap, cheap. *The New York Hat Company offers affordable newsboys caps and felt fedoras that look more comfortable with a leather jacket than a 3-piece suit. *I always look at last year's models from the Rakuten mail order site. *Lots of colors.Even Lands End Canvas has 1 or 2 shirts per season that wouldn't look too out of place back in the day. *Finally, Zazzle offers a '39 World's Fair tie that is as beautiful as it is ridiculous. *Not at all expensive. *Happy hunting!

dancinggods

New in Town
Claudio, I agree... The hair and glasses are important. My hair has gotten unruly this summer, tomorrow I am heading to the barber for a "regular cut." Im also ready to replace my 80s US military "birth control glasses" with some older wire frames like I used to have, before they got sat on.

I've been looking into this stuff again for a few days and realized my ook is really like a 40s delivery man. With the dickies work pants sitting at the waist and a matching color work shirt. This look would be more complete with some Stacy Adams black madison boots (which also fit my criteria for being relatively affordable, new and of a classic style).

I was looking into a good jacket for the colder months to add to this look. Dickies has the classic "Eisenhower" style work jacket available. Do you people have any other ideas? I'm also interested in getting an A2 jacket one day, but those are a bit more pricey. I also kind of want a Ben Davis "postal blue" classic shop coat with a waist belt, I'd totally wear that out.

Also, I'd like to get one of those hats, with the black brim and colored fabric to match the uniform. Where is a good website to find those in different colors for a good price?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner