Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s sheepskin jacket made in USA

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
@Monitor texted me that he found this jacket on Vinted that I needed to bin. When I followed the link I saw the best patina on a jacket ever. According to the description, the jacket came out of the inventory of a theatre in Köln (Cologne) Germany. Unfortunately, I couldn't bin because the jacket was listed on German Vinted. Therefore I texted @Robbie79 and asked him whether he could buy the jacket for me and ship it to Amsterdam. Robbie already spotted the jacket for himself so we made a deal, if the jacket didn't fit him I would have first dibs.

Three days later Robbie sent me a fit pic, asking whether I was still interested. The jacket was too small for him. He also shared some additional pics including one of the zipper slider which said 'Crown USA'. I told him that I'd love to own the jacket, regardless of fit.

I was totally amazed when the jacket arrived. It's extremely well made with high attention to detail. The jacket is in absolutely flawless condition which is almost unbelievable since it's made from sheepskin which is extremely fragile.

4CD893C7-3639-4155-8902-6E1C06C5B8DF.jpeg
ED45764A-CA58-40F8-A3C1-355644A2E399.jpeg

40EF1DCF-B510-423D-B320-350072ABFFFE.jpeg

The patina is the most beautiful I've ever seen. At first glance it looks like a two-tone jacket with a dark colored body and lighter colored sleeves. But when looking closely at the sleeve creases it shows that at one point the sleeves were just as dark as the body.

9593E724-A605-4C8A-9C17-C8E495F80505.jpeg
B2FFD9FE-7A8E-4E90-A6FF-467A4402A083.jpeg

Attention to detail :

9F261441-ECF8-4F83-B9A6-A9B4A46B4591.jpeg
79F24CB2-5A35-4559-97C3-A233BE884F2A.jpeg
4B9FF457-8D19-4AF9-8240-53C00D0D61A8.jpeg

There's no maker's label. Because of the Crown zipper, I'd say the jacket is probably made in USA.

01785392-76AA-46E0-98A7-80B8E39586F2.jpeg

I was expecting a wall hanger. A jacket that's nice to look at but too small and fragile to wear. But to my surprise it's a perfect fit and it's structurally sound. No reason not to wear it. Can't wear it with baggy pants though. It has a 20" back length.

CF528EC7-E755-4268-A449-C2CDEC792E11.jpeg

Last edited:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
DUDE! That is freakin’ spectacular! The grain and the patina is among the best I’ve seen. Amazing that it fits you when it was too small for Robbie, but the fit pics look good!

Riu

Practically Family
Fantastic find! The leather is just amazing and the fact that the sleeves give the two-tone effect makes it even better! For some reason, I associate this one with Thedi jackets, love how they look.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's an amazing jacket!
I really like the darts at the bottom of the body, it really gives it a great shape when worn.
That's a super nice find.

willyto

One Too Many
I am surprised that it didn’t fit Robbie but fits you if it was small for him! I thought you wore a bigger size than him?

Great jacket and short back. Love short jackets.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I am surprised that it didn’t fit Robbie but fits you if it was small for him! I thought you wore a bigger size than him?
I have a 43" chest which is probably a chestsize bigger than Robbie. But I think in this case it's more about how one likes to wear a jacket, length wise. I don't care too much about short(er) sleeves or back length. An inch of extra body length would have been welcome though but hey, where am I ever going to find a second sheepskin / capeskin jacket from the 30s in immaculate condition, with a ptp that's wearable? As long as the length goes with the style it's all good for me.

Cornelius

Practically Family

Love this design detail. A clean look which also prevents the button from snagging on bag straps or anything else. Good for Travel Jackets. Reminds me of the very functional covered plackets the US military began using on their BDUs during the war in Vietnam three decades later.

Filson uses a similar idea on the cargo pockets of many of their hunting vests & field jackets. These are snapped, so it's not to prevent anything catching on brush/bags, but rather to facilitate one-handed fastening-shut of the pocket. My own rain coat features pockets of this type; it's a clever feature I wish more makers would adopt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112