Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3D printed hat blocks by RANDAL ALAN

Would you use a 3D printed hat block?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsteinjr

New in Town
My question as well Fruno. I subject my wooden blocks to high heat, steam, and as much pressure as I can bring to bear. I'll be curious to see how this plant based 3D printing material will hold up to the rigors of day to day hat making.
As to hats pressed onto molds to create off-beat new styles, I say go for it. I imagine that, at some point, Orville said something like, "Hell Wilbur, let's just throw the damn thing in the air and see what happens."
Hello Sir, I appreciate you taking time and asking these questions. I would also be curious as you seem to be exactly the type of person I want to work with. My goal is to innovate and help the industry as much as I can. Feel free to direct message me and I can get a block to you for testing. Happy Thanksgiving

humanshoes

One Too Many
Hello Sir, I appreciate you taking time and asking these questions. I would also be curious as you seem to be exactly the type of person I want to work with. My goal is to innovate and help the industry as much as I can. Feel free to direct message me and I can get a block to you for testing. Happy Thanksgiving
I'll DM you soon rsteinjr and look forward to putting one of your blocks through it's paces. As to further postings of your innovative hats, I would encourage you to continue to do so and will personally enjoy seeing them. Just know, however, that this forum is largely populated by plain spoken traditionalists. Good people one and all to be sure, but definitely not the sort of folks who mince words or sugar coat their opinions. Nor should they be. That's why I've learned so much in my years hanging around this place. I've also gained a great deal of humility. This site is home to what I believe to be the single largest collective of hat experts on the planet. Their honest, sometimes painful feedback has helped me grow as a craftsman and for that I'll always be grateful. I also realized early on that my thin-skinned artistic temperament and my entrepreneurial spirit were often at cross purposes. They won't buy it if they don't see it, but many who see it just plain won't like it. So be it. Don't be discouraged or deterred. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'd certainly be interested in an affordable block along the lines of a #52 and/or a 'creased' block for straws.

And I will say I'm actually somewhat intrigued by the idea of embossed textures, but the Buster Keaton profile was not to my tastes.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This is not my thing either, but I have worked with 3D applications and I find the idea fascinating.
A few days ago I saw a medical program on TV where a patient's nose had been reconstructed with 3D, the reproduction was incredible. The surgeon described the 3D nose as a scaffold into which he injects the patients own stem cells. Gradually the nose re-grows. It was almost science fiction. I was reluctant to say so previously because it drifts away from the thread subject.

rsteinjr

New in Town
A few days ago I saw a medical program on TV where a patient's nose had been reconstructed with 3D, the reproduction was incredible. The surgeon described the 3D nose as a scaffold into which he injects the patients own stem cells. Gradually the nose re-grows. It was almost science fiction. I was reluctant to say so previously because it drifts away from the thread subject.
its beyond fascinating. 3D is like something out of a syfy movie

rsteinjr

New in Town
I'd certainly be interested in an affordable block along the lines of a #52 and/or a 'creased' block for straws.

And I will say I'm actually somewhat intrigued by the idea of embossed textures, but the Buster Keaton profile was not to my tastes.
Hi jlee562, I a full line of 52 ready to print , The crease would need to be design but definitely not a problem, Just to clarify Im give a 40% discount on all fedoralounge members for the 1st block, Then blocks run $115 free shipping for basic open crown etc. Custom block really all depend on overall time and design complexity. Im here when ready

rsteinjr

New in Town
If they are solid blocks able to take the same abuse/force as wood I’d be interested in a #52 long oval. I’d also like a couple flanges. I’m interested in traditional tools at a discounted price.

So great! DM me and we can figure things out. Im give a 40% discount to all fedoralounge members for the 1st block, Then blocks run $115 free shipping for basic open crown etc. Custom block really all depend on overall time and design complexity
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rsteinjr

New in Town
This form will educate and show the 3D printing process of how I Randal Alan design, slice and 3D print modern hat blocks using FDM printing technology.

Printers in use:
printer 1: FDM 300mmx300mm (block printer)
printer 2: FDM 300mmx300mm (block printer)
printer 3: FDM 300mmx300mm (block printer)
printer 4: FDM 300mmx300mm (block printer)
printer 5: FDM 500mmx500mm (flange printer)
printer 6: SLA FORM 2 Resin

HTS.jpg

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Hi jlee562, I a full line of 52 ready to print , The crease would need to be design but definitely not a problem, Just to clarify Im give a 40% discount on all fedoralounge members for the 1st block, Then blocks run $115 free shipping for basic open crown etc. Custom block really all depend on overall time and design complexity. Im here when ready

I believe many of us would prefer an open-crown #52; at least I would.

How did we go from $65 to $115?

rsteinjr

New in Town
With all due respect, my friend, please make the effort to register yourself as a vendor on the forum.
I will look into it right away, I really appreciate your message thank you. I definitely want to be doing things the correct way on the fedoralunge. Have a great weekend

rsteinjr

New in Town
I’m in for a block and a couple of flanges, if you have them. I will; however, wait until Rick @humanshoes receives his and gives us a review.

How do we know what’s available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everthing is made to order. I do have #51 & #52 ready to print in any size.
Flanges are made to order also and usually designed to customer specs.

rsteinjr

New in Town
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points