Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s/50s Hairstyles - D/As, Pompadours, etc.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Lately I've been moving toward a more vintage hairstyle everyday. I have a great barber (a real barber, not a hair stylist) that cuts my hair in a way that allows me to look fairly normal (modern) on days when I don't feel like doing anything with it. But with a little bit of Spiker, I can achieve a pretty decent pompadour when the mood hits me.

My question is, how do I get the really big, tall, Elvis-sized pompadour? Is it more a matter of length or volume? Would classic products like pomade and tonic be better to achieve the look? I use Spiker because I can put it in wet and once it dries, it dries very hard (like glue), and nothing short of shampooing will move it, so it's very low maintenance during the day. I imagine greased hair would be something you'd have to stay on top of, right?

-Matt Crunk

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No...a beeswax based pomade will not move unless you move it, and won't flake like a gel or a spray. There are many threads here at the Lounge that discuss pomade pros and cons that you should search for!
flat-top

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
To oil, or To gel, THAT is the question

1. I've used Groom & Clean gel for a couple of years now, its easy to
find in the stores & doesn't cost a lot, it works OK, BUT!

2. If you want total control its probably not the best product to use
& yes other products (pomades) are probably better & more authentic.

3. The #1 reason I have shyed away from non-gel products is I don't
want a mega oily buildiup in my vintage hats, hatbands & liners.

Peter :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR