Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair troubles

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
How do you do! I hate to skip the exchange of plesantries, but I desperately need help regarding my hair.

You see, I've never been happy with my hair. Even after I realized I preferred the the fashions of the thirties and forties, I still couldn't get it right. I've done hours of research, most of it here, but when it comes down to it, I just can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

I have two strikes against me. First, I don't know what to tell my barber-friend about what I want. She's young like me, so she's not really familiar with vintage styles. She is, however, a good friend of mine, so it would pain me to have to change barbers.

My research tells me of a "regular" haircut, short and tapered on the sides and back and blended with long hair on the top. What I can't figure out, however, is how short the sides and back and how long the top should be so that they will suit the shape of my head. I'll show you three shots of my head I just took with my netcam.

head-front.jpg

head-side.jpg

head-back.jpg

I used to have long hair on the top, which I tried clumsily every day to slick back with Brylcreem. Last year, however, I had promised my barber-friend I would let her alter my hairdo one day, and that day came two weeks ago. She cut my hair to a considerably shorter length, about two inches, I think. I was just putting some Brylcreem in my hair to see what would happen when I took those pictures.

This brings me to the second strike--I'm a hair-styling disaster. I've got two bristle brushes, one plastic comb, and a tub of Brylcreem, but I wield them about as well as a butcher does a scalpel. I want my hair to be uniform, contiguous. More often than not, however, one or three or five recalcitrant strands or clumps of hair bounce off my scalp, forming spikes and vines as if to taunt me.

No amount of brushing or combing on my part ever beats them into submission. In the end, my hair is just disorderly enough to drive me nuts, the way a dead pixel in an LCD monitor can drive a nerd like me bonkers, and it lacks volume, making it look disproportionate to the rest of my head.

I need some advice, please. First, I need to know exactly what to tell my barber-friend to do in order to get one of those regular, short-back-and-sides haircuts from the past. I'd like to be more specific than telling her to make the sides and back short. Also, I would like to be sure that I am giving her the right sort of instructions.

I hope this isn't too tall an order. I don't want to be a burden; it's just that I've got an appointment with my barber-friend tomorrow, and I desperately need explicit instructions to give her.

Second, would some of you be so kind as to suggest some thirties or forties hairstyles that look serious, orderly, and shipshape and would work with my head? I think whatever I've been doing hasn't been working. Also, I've tried doing my own research, but no matter how many examples I see, I can't for the life of me figure out what will work. I guess I need the eyes of third parties to tell me.

Thanks for reading my long yarn. I hope I was making sense and that with your help, I'll get this mess (literal and otherwise) sorted out.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Oscar Tong!!! Great to see you here in the Lounge again.

Believe it or not, you and I have very similar hair - but yours is probably wavier!
My Chinese friend tells me I have Chinese Hair, only straighter.

Actually, I think that what you have going there in the pictures you've shared is darn nice.
You might go to a nearby drug store or super store and look for a small round (blue) container of Depp pomade. It isn't thick and greasy and really isn't a pomade at all - more like heavy gell in a tub. AFter showering, use a small amount - just enough to obscure your fingertip, and distribute it through your hair. Let this dry while you shave and dress (it gets stiff if it dries too long), then use a hair dryer to dry it, shaping with a wide-tooth brush. Before it is dry, stop with the hair dryer. You'll hardly use the hair dryer enough to warm it.
Now get your Brylcreem. It is very, very important to heed the manufacturer's admonition: "A Dab'll Do Ya." Just the tiniest, smallest bit, no bigger around than the eraser at the end of a new pencil. Get this tiny dab on your palms by rubbing them together, then use your hands to lightly apply and distribute it ON your hair - you don't want to rub it all in and grease up your scalp. Just get Brylcreem on your hair. Wash it off your hands to avoid leaving goopy fingerprints all over everything in the house.
Comb it nice and vintage-style, and it should stay put for much of the day. Carry a comb and be prepared to fix it now and again.

The only alternative for guys like us, Oscar, is a very short buzz cut, which shows too much scalp for my taste, or - a PERM. Which I have also done. ANYTHING to get some kind of shape into my Shemp Hair!

Good luck Oscar Tong, it is nice to see you again.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
your hair isn't bad at all !
if you want it to look more vintage all i would suggest is a longer top and a sharper 'fade' or 'blend' into the neckline. and i wouldn't start the fade too high....about an inch and a half above your ears maximum.

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
Thanks for the advice so far! It sure is helpful of you all. :) I'm surprised you think my hair is alright as it is. That's good to know, because often, I don't know it, myself.

Now, for some individualized responses.

==========

To scotrace:

Thanks for the warm welcome back. :) Now, there's one thing I'm unclear on--how wide should the wide toothbrush be, quantitatively speaking? I'm not exactly a toothbrush connoisseur, and the widest toothbrush I've ever seen is a standard Reach toothbrush. :/ Also, I wouldn't know how to go about shaping, or in what manner to shape, my hair with a tiny l'il toothbrush. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea. Got any usage tips for me? [huh]

==========

To herringbonekid:

Now that I've fulfilled my promise to my barber-friend, I won't have to worry about growing out my top again, so that's just what I'm gonna do. :D Now, about the fade--I always thought that was called a taper. :/ So they really call it a fade or a blend? Maybe I've been using the "wrong" word with my barber-friend all this time. [huh]

It's funny you should mention it--I've always liked hair that transitioned smoothly and gradually from neck skin to hair like a gentle exponential curve. Unfortunately, I have the hardest time describing in words what I want to my barber-friend. Maybe she'll understand either "fade" or "blend". Thanks for the tip. :)

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Your hair looks pretty good as is. A few suggestions: Grow some sideburns to about the middle of your ear. I think a little more taper on the back of your head and the sides. From the photos you can see how the hair sticks out a bit on the sides giving it a bit of a rounded appearance. It also may just be the angle of the photo but I would try and get the fade/taper of the back and the sides to really match up....from the photo it almost looks like you have a fade line that is somewhat noticable from the sides to the back of your hair. I think really what you are after is a traditional business cut with a side part. Getting the look is all about products in my opinion. For products I would recommend a couple of things: First you probably have somewhat thicker hair that really needs some type of pomade. You can use something by American Crew which is pretty pricey (and will wash out with a normal shampoo) or go to about any drug store/wal-mart and get a orange can of Murray's....You will find this in the ethnic hair care section. Use a bit of Murray's with some of your brylcreem for added shine. You might have to try several pomades to find one that works best for you....but with the thick course hair I would start with Murray's (about the best hold out there) and go from there. It looks like you are on the right track with your hair so far.....I just think you need some pomade in it. Brylcreem really doesn't provide much hold at all and it sounds like more of a hold issue than anything.

I just recently got a short haircut and haven't made up my mind about it. Sort of miss combing my hair but now I have a few extra minutes of free time each morning and the gf doesn't complain I look in the mirror more than she does...which I guess is a good thing. Also....now I can wear hats without the worry of greasing them up....so I have two hats on order and can't wait to get 'em! But something tells me buying hats is going to be a lot more expensive than jars of pomade! ;)

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Oscar Tong said:
To scotrace:

Thanks for the warm welcome back. :) Now, there's one thing I'm unclear on--how wide should the wide toothbrush be, quantitatively speaking? I'm not exactly a toothbrush connoisseur, and the widest toothbrush I've ever seen is a standard Reach toothbrush. :/ Also, I wouldn't know how to go about shaping, or in what manner to shape, my hair with a tiny l'il toothbrush. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea. Got any usage tips for me? [huh]

I believe what Scotrace was referring to was a brush that has wide teeth (as opposed to say a comb) Sometimes Combs come with a half-and-half ... one wide tooth one thin-tooth. Then again he could actually be talking about a toothbrush but its rare to see toothbrush + hair = good. lol Personally I prefer the wide tooth comb... Once you start using it right its only slightly less effective than a brush...and is more compact so it can be on the go with you for touch-ups throughout the day. However since you'll be using a hair dryer (I natural dry) the brush is designed for you to use a dryer and push hot air into the vents on the back, whereas if you used a comb you'll usually look a mess :)

These are fairly cheap and are designed for just this application :)

Brush style: ACE Tunnel Vent Brush
http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_BRU-ACE112.htm

Comb style: ACE Wide Tooth Comb
http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_BRU-ACE121.htm

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
Blackgrass said:
It also may just be the angle of the photo but I would try and get the fade/taper of the back and the sides to really match up....from the photo it almost looks like you have a fade line that is somewhat noticable from the sides to the back of your hair.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by that, Blackgrass. Would you please elaborate?

Blackgrass said:
For products I would recommend a couple of things: First you probably have somewhat thicker hair that really needs some type of pomade. You can use something by American Crew which is pretty pricey (and will wash out with a normal shampoo) or go to about any drug store/wal-mart and get a orange can of Murray's....You will find this in the ethnic hair care section. Use a bit of Murray's with some of your brylcreem for added shine. You might have to try several pomades to find one that works best for you....but with the thick course hair I would start with Murray's (about the best hold out there) and go from there.

I've been up and down the hair-product aisle of a Wal-Mart Canada (the one in New Westminster, BC, if it means anything), and I've zipped and zoomed through the rest of the store, but I couldn't for the life of me find the fabled ethnic hair-care section. :( Moreover, in terms of fashion, Greater Vancouver is very, very, very casual and trendy. Maybe stuff like this Murray's doesn't sell very well in my neck of the woods. :(

Then again, I could have been looking in the wrong place in Wal-Mart or just not looked hard enough. Do all Wal-Marts share the same layout? If so, where would I find the ethnic hair-care section?

Blackgrass said:
I just recently got a short haircut and haven't made up my mind about it. Sort of miss combing my hair but now I have a few extra minutes of free time each morning and the gf doesn't complain I look in the mirror more than she does...which I guess is a good thing.

When you figure out what to do with your hair, you should, if you can, post some pictures. It's interesting to see what other people are doing. :)

Don't worry about spending too much time in front of the mirror. Take as much time as you need (or can afford) to groom yourself well. There are far too few decently groomed men out there these days; the rest are just jeering at something they can't understand.

Blackgrass said:
Also....now I can wear hats without the worry of greasing them up....so I have two hats on order and can't wait to get 'em! But something tells me buying hats is going to be a lot more expensive than jars of pomade! ;)

I'm afraid so. My fedoras cost me 127.00 CAD plus 13% in sales taxes each! (I still can't afford that grey one to go with my sport jacket. :( Then again, maybe I shouldn't have blown over twice that amount on a new video card. lol) By comparison, a tub of Brylcreem costs me less than 6.00 CAD, excluding taxes.

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
What about a Jack Webb hairdo?

I was just thinking--should I go for the sort of hairdo that Jack Webb of Dragnet fame had going in his heyday? Here are some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

jackwebb0002.jpg

jackwebb0004.jpg

jackwebb0006.jpg

jackwebb-fatima.jpg

Technically, these pictures are probably from the early fifties, so they're not quite from our favorite decades. Still, I don't know about the rest of you, but it's hard to deny that Webb always looked sharp as Sgt. Friday. What do you all think? Would this work for me?

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
This is sort of tough to explain but....On the second photo you posted you can see where there is a weight line in your hair from where it goes from shorter to longer hair above your ears....it also looks like you have the same weight line behind your ears where it doesn't quite fade right from the shorter to the longer hair. I would ask for a bit more taper/fade from the shorter hair into the longer hair so that the end result is not quite the contrast that you have now from the short to longer hair. I think if you had the back tapered up a little higher to where the longer hair is on the sides then it would give you more of the look you are after....a nice tight trim back and sides with longer hair on the top. Really I just think you need a bit more taper on the back and blended a bit better on the sides so that you don't have a noticable weightline from the short to long hair.

Hair products....I live in the South so things might be a bit different but at our local Wal-Mart we have a section that falls within the other hair care products that is marketed for black people's hair. It is usually where you find Murray's, Dax Wax and other pomades as well as hair treatments. Not sure if they have Walgreens up where you are located but they also carry Murray's in my area. I think the local grocery stores carry it as well. If you are having a tough time getting it just PM me and I'll gladly pick some up for you and put it in the mail. Heck...now that my hair is pretty short I could just send you all my old stuff if you don't mind that some of it has been used. It might save you some coin if you can find one that you like. I probably have a half dozen or so jars at this point. But I'm keeping the Murray's ;) It works really well for even short hair. But I can pick one up at Wally world and stick it in with the others.

My hair is straight and fine. I had it short up the back and sides and the top was long enough to hang down to my lips or so when pulled down. I wore it combed over with a slight pomp. I wore it this way for a couple of years and just decided to cut it short....went to the barber and after it was cut I mentioned that I THOUGHT I might want it even shorter....He told me to come back in a week if it wasn't short enough and he would give me a free cut....Well I did just that and needless to say he cut it SHORT! I'm really having buyers remorse and should have keep it at the moderate short lenght instead of the REALLY short cut I have now. But afterall...it's just hair.

As a side note....I ordered a B!wear cap yesterday. I had a couple of things done differently to customize it a bit and today I got a notice saying it had been shipped. How about that for FAST!!!!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i wouldn't go with the jack webb. it's fine, but a bit generic 50s everyman.

oh, if you're going to razor off your sideburns as you have above (which looks more vintage) make sure they're good and horizontal....parallel with your spectacle arms.

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
I'm at my barber-friend's place of employment right now! Thanks a lot for all the tips, information, and input, everybody! :) Let's hope for the best (and that my top will grow quickly)!

==========

To Blackgrass:

Sadly, there are no Walgreenses in the Greater Vancouver area, and the only place I know of that carries Brylcreem (both in a tube and a tub) or anything of the sort is a Canadian more-than-a-drug-store drug store called London Drugs. I am interested in all those leftover hair products you've got, though. How much would you want for shipping?

==========

To herringbonekid:

Good thing I had reservations about going with the Jack Webb sort of hair. I never would have made the connection with Mr. Rogers that Marc did, though. Wow. lol

==========

To scotrace:

Thanks for the clarification, but after looking at your initial post again, it looks like it was my fault--I had misread "wide-tooth brush", the term you used. :eusa_doh: I guess I was more tired than I thought last night. :eek:

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
In a moment, the results of that trial.

Well, it's done. My barber-friend has cut my hair. I told her to cut the back and sides short and taper the back like I always did, but this time, I added that she should begin the taper one inch above my ears, blend in the sides and back with the top as seamlessly as possible, and leave the top alone. After she had finished, she even styled my hair with something called...uh...forming cream, I think it was. Here is the result.

head-front-after.jpg

head-left-after.jpg

head-right-after.jpg

head-back-after.jpg

Looks like my hair hasn't changed much. :p

From the looks of it, it looks like that weight line thingy Blackgrass was talking about is still there (unless I'm looking at it wrong). In the mirror, under plain indoor lights, however, it's hardly noticeable, not like in the pictures. Anyway, did I miss something? Are there additional instructions about tapering I should give my barber-friend two weeks from now? Or maybe I'm still misunderstanding what Blackgrass was telling me. [huh]

Shape-wise, I think the forming cream did the trick, at least mostly. It looks like it was a hold issue, after all. Unfortunately, my hair still sticks up a bit from time to time near some spot of my head my barber-friend called the crown.

When I asked her about it, she said the reason was that I had, for the past few years, been brushing back hair that grew naturally forward, so they had become bent and misshapen. What she said made sense to me, so I asked her to show me where these forward-growing strands came from (the crown, as it turned out) and made it a point to brush or comb them in the direction in which they were meant to grow.

Too bad I didn't have time today to pick up some of that Depp pomade; I was going to give scotrace's suggestion a try the next day. Would American Crew pomade work, too? My barber-friend's workplace sold American Crew products, as well as Redken products. I'm more familiar with American Crew than Redken, though. Maybe I should have picked up something while I was still there.

So, that's it for now. I guess my pursuit of the perfect haircut will be a neverending one. :/ Thanks again for all your help. If any of you have more suggestions for me, I'm open to them. If nobody has any objections, I'd like to post some new pictures when the top has grown noticeably so I can get some more feedback and see how I'm doing.

By the way, my barber-friend often remarks that my hair is quite fine and slightly wavy. These two qualities are, according to her, unusual for Chinese hair. (She should know--Vancouver is jam-packed with Chinese people, so she probably works with a lot of Chinese hair.) Does that make a difference in how I style my hair?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
looks great Oscar !
not dramatically different, but the sharper taper adds to the vintage look.
i think the way the taper is more noticeable on the sides is just because of the way your hair lies. the scalp is more visible from some angles than others.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oscar- my own 2¢ here. As per your Jack Webb look- sideburns. That's the 1st thing I noticed on your photo that were conspicuously missing. All I can speak for is the 50s when I grew up is that everybody had side burns of varying size.

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
Twitch said:
Oscar- my own 2¢ here. As per your Jack Webb look- sideburns. That's the 1st thing I noticed on your photo that were conspicuously missing. All I can speak for is the 50s when I grew up is that everybody had side burns of varying size.

Actually, for years, I've been trying to nail down some sort of forties look. After a lot of research, two key elements stuck out--short back and sides, tapered, and short or no sideburns. That's what I've been attempting all this time. Unfortunately, I don't think I do a very good job at styling my hair after it's been cut. Having a poor sense of depth, both optically and kinesthetically, makes it even harder. Guess I'll just have to keep trying...

As for my sideburns, the reason they've become as short as they look in my pictures is that I accidentally shortened them even more than they were while shaving the stuff underneath as maintenance. If I leave them unchecked, they become rather unruly. Think Starfleet sideburns, only hairier...a lot hairier. Yikes! :eek:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Oscar, I think your new haircut looks just fine! It's really important to learn what your hair WILL do and what it WON'T do, and to stay within the bounds of possibility. It makes life so much easier!

And I'd add about 1/2 inch of length to your sideburns. I think it will balance the look of your hair better.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I think the new cut looks much better. I would also agree with the sideburns. I think if you keep them neat it will help balance out your cut.

I think it will look even better as the top grows out a bit and I think this will enable the stylist to fade a little better between the short and longer hair.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in the grease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy