Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'40s/'50s Nat'l Geo Ads & Articles

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I found these on the side of the road yesterday. 1940 through 1967 (and some '70s but I won't be bothering with those here). Not all issues are there. None from 1941, darnit.

Anyway, I'm having a ball studying and reading them. I'm going to take copy shots of certain pages and sections to share here. Something for everyone, I'd think. If I can remain disciplined about it, I'll be updating this thread often as I make my way through the months and years of the past... :)

DSCN2950.jpg

DSCN2951.jpg

DSCN2952.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Gene -- you are a god among men for taking the time to post all of that. How totally cool! GREAT STUFF! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
My high school used to have National Geographic all the way back to the early 20's I believe. I used to love going through them. The sad part is that no one but me took any kind of interest in them.

TheModernLife

New in Town
More Scans

Every weekend in Baltimore this little building opens up called "The Book Thing" where people drop off their old unwanted books and magazines. Then, they are organized and are free for the taking. There's always plenty of National Geographics, especially from the 40s and 50s. The oldest one I found was from 1919!

Anyways, I always took as many as I could and I started a blog where most of the scans come from them. Haven't updated in a while, but I've been meaning to do it soon.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Check out the fore-runner to the Compact Disc player:
DSCN2967.jpg

Great stuff 'Gene,

I've amassed a small collection of 1930s - 50s National Geographics but haven't scanned any pages yet. That's mainly because I didn't want to break the spines, the pages are tricky to scan as bound.

Love the one for the Philco beam of light. It's a great technology that didn't get the popularity it was due because it was introduced near the beginning of the USA's involvement in WWII. The high price compared to standard players of the day didn't help either.

Video of a restored beam of light set here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYYGWmTw1c
*I would have embedded this for easy viewing, but it isn't working on this video for some reason...

Talbot

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Whoopseedaisy. I should've (checked) known. :eek: Oh well, I'll keep fiddling with this thread until it gets merged. Either way's fine by me! :) Maybe I'll get some more shots up tomorrow or over the weekend...

Love the shots, never too many. Love the Stratoliner BTW!

I have a stash of Saturday Evening Post's, Colliers, and Esquire. Any interest in some pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo