Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'40's horesehide civilian A-2 style jacket

fishmeok

Vendor
I picked this up a little while back, thought it was much little larger than it actually is. This is a very cool example. I particularly like the long pointed collar. It has some odd features, like cloth pockets with cut-outs in the body of the jacket (no handwarmers!) and some other interesting construction features. Triple marked Talon, with a bad spot on the left side that I think I can fix. Thick horsehide with some incredible wear, and in great condition. I'm going to replace the original trashed liner with an A-2 style, and use this jacket to try my hand at making a pattern (it's the only original I have) so I can replicate it- scalloped Dubow-style pocket flaps would go much better with that collar. This will take a while, have to pull the motor out of a saab first, but I think a normal sized version of this coat would be pretty damn nifty. It's about a 40, and after I'm done copying and repairing it the jacket will be going back on the 'bay.

Cheers
Mark

DSCN3910.jpg

DSCN3912.jpg

DSCN3913.jpg

DSCN3915.jpg

DSCN3917.jpg

DSCN3918.jpg

DSCN3919.jpg

DSCN3920.jpg

DSCN3921.jpg

chrgod

New in Town
Looks like it can be a very nice jacket, but you have some work ahead of you. I like the patina on the horsehide and the collar. :)

Good luck with pulling the engine out of the Saab. :D

Edward

Bartender
I'm not sure I quite understand here... are you saying the pockets that we see on the front are not leather patc pockets sewn on to the leather on the front of the jacket, but that the rear of the pocket is a cotton panel stitched on to the back of the leather - presumably creating to look of an A2 pocket but requiring less leather to complete? Interesting variation.

Have you compared this directly against original pattern A2s? It'd be interesting to see how close this civilian example (I'm presuming not produced by one of the USAAF suppliers) was to the issued jackets in terms of fit, etc. Lack of handwarmer pockets is interesting - I wonder whether this was a deliberate decision to stick more closely to the military look, or was this jacket simply produced before those became a popular feature. Are the epaulettes "functional", or are they stitched flat to the shoulder? They're a nice detail and look closer to those on an A2 than many of the civilian alternatives I've seen. Overall, it apes the military style much more closely than a lot of jackets from that post war period - to my eye at least. Interesting find.

fishmeok

Vendor
There is a cut out in the front panel to accommodate the pocket, as opposed to the A-2 which uses the front panel itself as the back of the pocket. There are a lot of differences between this and an A-2- no windflap, no collar clasps, 2 piece arms, etc. It is still much closer than most other jackets I have seen.

This is what it looks like now- I'm re-sizing it to a 46 so I can make one. I tried to make patterns while the jacket was together, but that didn't work out so well. The stitching was rotten anyway, I was able to just pull it apart.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN4023.jpg

DSCN4026.jpg

Edward

Bartender
fishmeok said:
There is a cut out in the front panel to accommodate the pocket, as opposed to the A-2 which uses the front panel itself as the back of the pocket. There are a lot of differences between this and an A-2- no windflap, no collar clasps, 2 piece arms, etc. It is still much closer than most other jackets I have seen.

Ah, yes - spotted the windflap issue too. Agreed in general. The vast majority of post war civilian jackets I've seen have been along the lines of the B15 in style, except leather. Sort of an A2 / B6 crossbreed, if you will. Interesting to see this one that hits that much closer than most.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Good Idea!

I have one almost like it and I have done the same with taking it apart and made a pattern. I just hope I can put it back togather after I'm finished. I have done a few of these. When you buy old jackets on ebay sometime you get a lemon. I even found a few old patterns on the web and I'm still repairing and selling some of the old ones and its been fun.

Please keep us posted on the out come.

Chris217

New in Town
Mark, your civilian A-2 looks an awful lot the one my grandad is wearing in this picture. If you look closely, you can see his jacket also has the G-1 style front zipper and the pocket flaps and collar details which are very similar to your jacket.
GandyA-2-2.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Wow- that looks like a dead ringer for the one I just took apart. Even the pockets look the same. Here's a pic of whats left of the label, all I can make out is "styled in California". It's definitely one of the better looking civi jackets that I have seen, and stays true to the A-2 styling. I'm cutting leather tonight to make my first replica, we will see how it goes.
Great picture, BTW.

Cheers
Mark

DSCN3926.jpg

It had a quilted liner too, but I'm going to make a new one out of cotton, A2 style.
DSCN3924.jpg

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
From that close-up shot of the collar, that collar shape looks remarkably like a David D. Doniger A-2 collar. I think that Doniger was based in New York though - not California.

I really like the style of that jacket. Best of luck in making a reproduction. Please keep us posted...

Noel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko