Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s Nude necktie

DamianM

Vendor
https://www.etsy.com/listing/196520388/1940s-nude-necktie?ref=listing-3

il_570xN.627796484_fsox.jpg

Attachments

• il_570xN.627800126_rx4l.jpg
    il_570xN.627800126_rx4l.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The nude neck tie is exquisite, but is it really worth $125? My favourite saucy neck tie is one depicting the cancan scenes painted by Toulouse Lautrec, at a fraction of the the price: Cancan Tie

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
My favourite saucy neck tie is one depicting the cancan scenes painted by Toulouse Lautrec, at a fraction of the the price:

that's a 1990s tie though, not a 1940s one (plus, those are just reproductions of Lautrec's posters on a tie... the design wasn't created specifically to go on a tie.
different kettle of fish altogether).

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The deco tie is great. I also like the blue "Priestley for Wembley" you added. Would look great with a cream linen suit.

DamianM

Vendor
The nude neck tie is exquisite, but is it really worth $125? My favourite saucy neck tie is one depicting the cancan scenes painted by Toulouse Lautrec, at a fraction of the the price: Cancan Tie
Like HBK said.

Its a novelty print tie from the 90s. Not an original hand painted necktie from the 1940s.

Nudie neckties from the 1940s sell for around $75-$150 in today's market, and that is if the seller is lucky.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
that's a 1990s tie though, not a 1940s one (plus, those are just reproductions of Lautrec's posters on a tie... the design wasn't created specifically to go on a tie.
different kettle of fish altogether).
Point taken. But hand on heart, would you pay $125 that's about £78 plus import duty, plus p&p for a 1940's necktie?
I have a shirt, the material for which, was screen printed, making it a one off. Not many would pay the extortionist price it cost, but I would. I wouldn't however pay the asking price for that tie, as much as I like it.

Flat Foot Floey

Yes, but so what? Just in case you didn't notice: It's considered bad manners to complain about prices in the classifieds.
The nude ties are collectable. You don't collect them and I also don't but some people do.
Others spend this kind of money on video games or Nike sneakers so it's just a matter of priorities/taste. Damian knows the market value and is offeruing other ties for a very reasonable price. Buy them or don't.

Flat Foot Floey

Sorry if I sounded too strict. It would be just very tiresome if every thread in the classifieds would consist of explaining prices.

Last edited:

DamianM

Vendor
Thanks Flat Foot.

I am not offended and Its okay to question certain prices. There are a lot of seller trying to pull one over people.
But you have to be educated in the market to bring up such remarks.
You compared it to a 1990s necktie of no value. So then I can see you are not a hardcore collector of vintage or understand why certain prices are what they are, and thats okay.

Hell, I don't understand people paying $1,500 for destroyed denim from the 1930s, but they do. ( Well I do understand, but never could I personally pay that much for those garments, I could come out with 4-5 amazing suits )

Here's a link to compare this price to others. I'm being Fair, believe me.

My price are what they are actually selling for at the moment.

https://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=pin+up+necktie&ship_to=US

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
Great pinup necktie, Damian, at a nice price. I haven't seen this particular graphic before, and if I weren't tightening the belt, I'd be talking to you about a sale. I have a somewhat similar "study" type nudie (maybe same fabric) that this would compliment nicely. I also have some destroyed 2002 Levis denims if your interested in a trade.:p

LuckyKat

Practically Family
Questioning any sellers price is bad business. The only thing that matters is that 2 people agree on a price...ironically, value is overrated, because no item is worth more than one other person is willing to pay.
Damian, you cant say that "you cant compare vintage to modern" (regarding value) because you can...maybe not with ties specifically, but sadly, there are many people that would pay more for something modern that will fall apart in a few years than for something that has already been around for 70 years.
The difference is that vintage holds its value (or at least has), where as modern crap dies with the trends (thankfully).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy