40's or 40's inspired christmas music?

Discussion in 'Radio' started by Brad Bowers, Nov 27, 2004.

1. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo A-List Customer

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas by Gayla Peavey-it just isn't Christmas without this one for me...

2. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

3. Bluebird

Bluebird New in Town

My dad remembers having the Gene Autry record for Rudolf the Red nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman. I bought him the cassette years ago, I think my stepmother "lost" it somewhere (perhaps I can find it on CD for him--mwahahahahahahahhaha! Poor thing will probably have to hide it in his car.) Also the Frank Sinatra album is fab. Love the "Christmas Waltz" one of my fave Christmas songs. Then there is Dino's "Winter Wonderland", and Bings "White Christmas".

Sigh...my CD player has died and I haven't been able to replace it. Maybe if I ask Santa to bring me one early so I can listen to my Christmas CD's. The radio stations around here are no replacement for decent Christmas music. I'll just have to blare the internet radio, my neighbours are going to hate me this year...maybe if I bake them something?

^_^bluebird

4. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg One of the Regulars

Big Lots Xmas

I was in one in hagerstown, mD found a huge cache of 40s/crooner/Rat Pack christmas cds. Also the 1946 Abbott and Costello Christmas radio show all for $4 each. Plenty of repeats in the titles, i'm sure, but worth checking out at that price!

Mary in Sharpsburg

5. flat-top

6. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

On the hard drive I have 481 Christmas songs, for a total of 25:11:46 hours. Naturally there are multiple versions of a great number of songs, but I personally don't mind: I like the different take each artist or group brings to a favorite. I tend to favor big band style or the originals from the 40s and 50s. Lounge-y Christmas tunes have taken hold as well.

Come Christmas-time I load up the mp3 player with a ton of songs, plus a rotating selection of OTR Christmas shows, and have some exhilarating commutes each day.

For The Big Day, I copy a bunch of tunes to a laptop and set it up with some speakers near the tree for the present opening (think A Christmas Story, and you'll get the idea).

7. "I do have a huge selection of "Old Time" Christmas shows from the 1940's the Armed Forces Radio shows with Bob Hope, are amongst the best!"

[​IMG]

Bob With songstress Frances Langford

8. Marlin Fan

Marlin Fan Familiar Face

Wally_Hood - sent you a PM

9. Still chasing the Max. Raabe Christmas Cd, i have a German Chum living her in the SRC, we are going to catch up and Log on to a German Cd Shop and purchase it, how many Ebay shopping days till Christmas?

[​IMG]

10. flat-top

11. [video=youtube;mFJ7fuiK1Yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJ7fuiK1Yw[/video]"Living era is a fabulous label, I love "The little boy that santa Claus forgot" but sung by Vera Lynn!"

12. flat-top

13. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

14. HepKitty

HepKitty One Too Many

I just got 2 more cds of Vera Lynn, she's amazing!

As for xmas music, check out the Brian Setzer Orchestra, I have 2 of his xmas cds and they're excellent. Any xmas song that mentions santa claus, hot rods, and peppermint schnapps gets my vote :)

15. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

Fred Waring & the Pennsylvanians

I have to agree that any of Brian Setzer's xmas music is great stuff! I'm a huge fan of his.

But xmas for me isn't the same until I play Fred Waring & the Pennsylvanians! I highly recommend the Twas the Night Before Christmas cd you can get thru Penn State.

Link here > TwastheNight

Its almost (but not perfectly) a copy of the classic album with the Rockwell painting on it.

B

16. flat-top

17. Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett

Mrs Chaddsley_Corbett Suspended

Oh I Love this one I have never heard it before!

18. davidraphael

davidraphael Practically Family

I'd be very interested to know if there's a CD of 1930s jazz/dancehall Christmas music!

When I grew up Christmas wasn't Christmas without the Ramsey Lewis Trio albums 'Sound of Christmas' and, in particular, 'More Sounds of Christmas'...
    [video=youtube;SGqPPRbjCEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGqPPRbjCEE&feature=related[/video]
    [​IMG]

Generally, I think that jazz Xmas music of the 50s/60s can get a bit kitsch, a bit loungey. This is true of Ella Fitzgerald's christmas album, for example (though there's nothing wrong with lounge - I own lots- but it ain't jazz, if that's what you're looking for in a christmas album by some of the jazz greats of that period)

The last couple of years I've been listening to Carla Bley's jazz Christmas album (highly recommended)
    [video=youtube;0oP3z5oLZ64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oP3z5oLZ64[/video]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  19. Miss Moonlight

Miss Moonlight A-List Customer

No idea why this image for this song, but it's one of my favorite songs for this time of year. It's from 1934, however.

Butterbeans and Susie Papa Ain't No Santa Claus

[video=youtube;lfB87_BqI_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfB87_BqI_E[/video]

Love that Vera Lynn song, I haven't heard it before. And I have a HUGE collection of vintage holiday tunes.