Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40's Purses

altamari22

New in Town
I have been searching for a great vintage purse. But what I have come across is repos that dont look the part or vintage torn purses. Does anyone know where you can get a nice purse that is in the 40's style.
Im mostly looking for a spectator purse.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
By spectator purse, do you mean like the shoes? Sorry to ask but I've never come across a purse before, only the shoes.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
altamari22 said:
Thanks,
I have looked on Ebay but I was hoping for other sources too..
The hunt I guess is on.

Well, I would just keep checking the regular places where everyone looks for vintage - Ebay, vintage stores, thrift stores, flea markets, estate and garage sales.... you may have to dig for quite awhile, but eventually you'll come up with something. My best luck for handbags has been at vintage shops, but I recognize that not everyone has vintage shops near them that are as amazing as the ones in Boston. Good luck with your search!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
altamari22 said:
I have been searching for a great vintage purse. But what I have come across is repos that dont look the part or vintage torn purses. Does anyone know where you can get a nice purse that is in the 40's style.
Im mostly looking for a spectator purse.

altamari22, I picked up a vintage 1970's purse which somewhat matches spectator shoes. I was thinking about keeping it, but maybe you want it instead?

Can you post a pic of what you are looking for?

Vintage Betty

Cricket

Practically Family
I found a great yellow purse that I think was from the 50s tucked away in a dusty basket in a second hand store. It was only 25 cents. It was yellow, but it had some beautiful floral work stitching. There were a few stains on it, but you would really have to be gazing at my purse to see them. And in that case, I would probably think you were about to mug me if you were that close to my purse. :p

bibliotechnique

New in Town
I have found that antique stores/malls often have a good selection of vintage purses. You may not find what you want, but looking sure is fun!!:)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
You mean something like this?

Photo259.jpg

I found mine at a vintage fashion show 8 years ago.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Try a Google search:
1. Use quotations to narrow your search, for example: "vintage purse""1940"
2. When you enter your query, click on the Google menu at the top of the page and select IMAGE (instead of the default WEB search). There will be lots of photos - some are blogs, showing off their vintage purchases, but many will be sites that sell vintage.

I did the above query and found http://www.anothertimevintageapparel.com/shop_accesspurse.htm.
Play with wording - "handbag" instead of "purse" - it's a hunt, but a good way to find previously unknown resources. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy