Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4IH knot, straight collar.

StanleyVanBuren

Alright let me try to clarify my reasons for my stance on 4IH v. Windsor:

Here is a photo of me wearing one of my spread collar dress shirts. I've tied a very small 4IH. Nevermind the fact that this makes the tie hang down below my crotch, we're just looking at the knot here:

IMG_6881.jpg

Here is a close-up:

IMG_6882.jpg

And below is my typical Windsor knot. I think this simply looks better with this collar, and with the overall look. Most importantly, given my face shape and long neck, I think this knot balances out those features better than the 4IH does.

At the very least, I think it should be clear that this is the knot that is meant for this type of collar.

IMG_6876.jpg

and just for fun, check this out:

IMG_6885.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Use a half-Windsor, Stanley. ;) I think the four in hand looks fine with that, myself.

Proof that you can pull off a spread collar with a small knot...

1061133442_resConnery.JPG

Oh, and I like your hair better down, personally. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
StanleyVanBuren said:
At the very least, I think it should be clear that this is the knot that is meant for this type of collar.
Here's a FIH on a spread collar that looks much better than a Windsor, IMO.

00004f.jpg

Stanley, in ten years you'll look back at your signature look and say,"What in the world was I thinking of......and they even tried to talk me out of it......".:eusa_doh:

Tumbleweed

New in Town
Burning Fists of Silky Death

I think the medium to smaller knots are more your friend, the big I Am Smuggling Cocaine Inside This Windsor Knot look seems to overwhelm you.

Do you know of the Plattsburgh?. It's my default knot of choice. It's like a Windsor except that it has a dramatic taper that bypasses the fist of silky death look that the Windsor can result in.

Try it.

Go on, I dare you.

Jovan

Suspended
Tomasso: It suits his face shape (I assume that's a double wrapped FIH) but Mory has a habit of wearing his suits way too fitted, resulting in a big head look. :(

StanleyVanBuren

Tomasso said:
Here's a FIH on a spread collar that looks much better than a Windsor, IMO.

00004f.jpg

Well I won't argue with you there -- he's got a great look. I especially like that style of dimple. That really tops off the flair to his look.

Though I must point out that his 4IH is equal in relative size to my windsor knots, just not as wide.

I will try to see if I can emulate this properly at some point here.

Rooster

Practically Family
StanleyVanBuren said:
Well I won't argue with you there -- he's got a great look. I especially like that style of dimple. That really tops off the flair to his look.

Though I must point out that his 4IH is equal in relative size to my windsor knots, just not as wide.

I will try to see if I can emulate this properly at some point here.
I don't care for his tie, looks like crapola to me. Messed up lumpy sort of thing. The tie has too much material for a 4IH...like all current ties.
If your going to wear a tie that is that wide with that much material you might as well wear an ascot.lol
Today's ties look like some sort of body armor accessory.:rolleyes:

neyus

New in Town
Personally I have enough of windsor collars and thick knots. I say it would have worked during when the size of knots were smaller. But ties these days are too thick in fabric and width. I know that most shirts these days seem to be a medium spread or cutaway, but don't feel tempted to do it. The ties are just too thick for these. A Four-in-Hand is the only option. On most of my ties I employ a FIH but wrap around one more time. I dont know what this is called. If the tie is too thick I will just go FIH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn