Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4IH knot, straight collar.

StanleyVanBuren

Don't expect to see this from me on any kind of regular basis:

IMG_6857.JPG

I know what's coming next and I'll save you the trouble: Yes, I know how to dimple a tie; No, I don't usually care to.

mister7

Familiar Face
Thats a great jacket! Personally I would like the tie better with one of the huge knots (Windsor?) that you usually sport. The tie is a nice match with the jacket but I would like a less busy shirt. It's still a very nice outfit though! MS

mister7

Familiar Face
Actually, I think you can't lose! You always dress great, and not to sound mean about some of the other loungers, but I'm sure a lot of them would kill to have the dimension of their chest exceed that of their waist. Opinions are one thing, but having a decent frame to display it on is entirely another. I enjoy seeing the clothes you display and if I post a reply it is only an honest answer to the question posed. I enjoy seeing other peoples clothes, it's always great for new ideas. Thanks for posting up! MS

The knot looks good, though the shirt is horrific enough to be one of mine (i have some truly terrible shirts). This highlights why i like the four in hand so much. Single breasted suits tend to be a bit too symmetric, cutting the wearer in half down the midline. The inevitable asymmetric askew-ness of the four in hand knot helps to break this undesirable impression.

bk

Dagwood

Practically Family
I like it. Shirt, tie and jacket look great! Who makes each? Can you post a full body view?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mister7 said:
not to sound mean about some of the other loungers, but I'm sure a lot of them would kill to have the dimension of their chest exceed that of their waist. Opinions are one thing, but having a decent frame to display it on is entirely another.
:rolleyes: I'm straining my mind to find a correlation between one's physique and their ability to critique things sartorial.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
StanleyVanBuren said:
Don't expect to see this from me on any kind of regular basis:

IMG_6857.JPG

I know what's coming next and I'll save you the trouble: Yes, I know how to dimple a tie; No, I don't usually care to.

First off, it's not really a straight collar...it's a medium spread collar. This is mostly training the eye, as I've had shirts made with a medium spread instead of a real straight collar but I've learned my lesson since.
Personally, my tastes shift towards the more traditional patterns and stripes, so that shirt doesn't do much for me as it is much too loud, but there have been some examples of loud shirts from the 40s and 50s, too, so take it or leave it.
I would like to see the solid shirts or sober-er traditional stripes as the neutral background for ties. This one almost looks like a print-on pattern, like the stripes on the Spider-man costume. It just JUMPS out way too much...although if you had picked a tie that picked up on the blue threads from the shirt and the black threads from the suit, it would've completed the look more.
Like what previous posters have said, the jacket is great and I love the shoulders on it. We still need atleast a 3/4 picture (with head) to make any sort of judgement, though.

IMHO, I'd like to see that new white shirt with the high collar you picked up, this tie in either a tight Half-windsor or the same FIH knot, and this black suit. Just for the sake of the picture, could you also tuck in a pocket square?
I'd sleep better.:p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Orgetorix said:
Corpulence = Competence?
Only in jest........Ranalli's restaurant in Chicago is well known for their signature dish, the panzerotti. Printed on their menu are two celebrity endorsements of the dish, one from Deborah Norville and the other from Roger Ebert. Whenever dining there I would always joke that I gave more credence to Ebert's opinion since his weight trebled that of Norville's. Mildly amusing :rolleyes: despite its faulty logic.

StanleyVanBuren

Mr. Rover said:
IMHO, I'd like to see that new white shirt with the high collar you picked up, this tie in either a tight Half-windsor or the same FIH knot, and this black suit. Just for the sake of the picture, could you also tuck in a pocket square?
I'd sleep better.:p

I will do what I can to put this together, but...

...and you're going to kill me here, but I don't own a pocket square. :eek:

aliados

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
This highlights why i like the four in hand so much. Single breasted suits tend to be a bit too symmetric, cutting the wearer in half down the midline. The inevitable asymmetric askew-ness of the four in hand knot helps to break this undesirable impression.

Interestingly, my father, an impeccable dresser, always sported a perfectly triangular half-windsor with his snow-white, French-cuffed, spread-collared shirt, but always made absolutely certain that the dimple was off center, because he did not wish to appear to be perfect . . .

Jovan

Suspended
Adding a dimple makes it easier to tie for me, and it's part of my usual routine. There was some picture or another of an older man with a really cylindrical looking knot that had no dimple. It looked really nice, and effortless. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass