Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4x4 - The Debate

Caledonia

Practically Family
of the working 4x4s when were/are you most impressed by their contribution

Anybody want to address my second point? I'm favouring the landrover during WWII. I would say the huge usage that it's had in agricultural terms since it's inception, but knowing a lot of farmers they all go, "what's that button for...No, it does that?" ;)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The answer to which one made the greatest contributions would be different depending on where you are. I understand that in many 3rd world countries, the old model Toyota Land Cruiser is the most long-lived, hardy, desirable vehicle because they're just about impossible to kill.

In the US, I would vote for the Jeep CJ-series starting in WWII with the Willys models. In widespread domestic use, the GM (both Chevy and GMC) Suburban series would come close behind, as it has been around for decades and is ubiquitous across the country.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe everyone should own what they want to. It went past "need" a long time ago in the US. Do you "need" a house that big? Does it need central air? Do you "need" a collection of antique watches or cars or bustles or nose rings? No it's not the point whether your antique cameo collection pollutes the air or uses resources. The point is some well-meaning person telling you what you should or shouldn't do. We got enough of that from the government goofballs. When the oil runs out it runs out and that's that. Till then I don't give a damn what folks drive or do in the privacy of their own homes.

As for 4X4s contributions, WW 2 was won with transportation vehicles moving supplies as much as it was by front line combatants. The Jeep and the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 ton trucks made major contributions logistically. Of the fabled "duece and a half" alone over 600,000 were produced by GM, Dodge ans Studebaker. They filled inventories of Russian and British supply companies as well as Americn ones. Yes they had 6X6 but the concept is the same.

The Jeep was put to every use and abuse GIs could think of. It carried supplies and VIPs too. It moved the wounded on litters on the hood and back seats in a pinch. It scouted and gave quick mobility to officers moving around the battle line. It was inexpensive, rugged and dependable. The Humvee only wishes it will someday be looked upon with such affection.

The Land Rover is the British Jeep equivelant and earned its place in history as well for the same reasons.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Fair enough ... but Hummers (as opposed to military Humvees) are just plain lame. :mad:

The Hummer H2 is just a Chevrolet Silverado chassis with that "military" body.:eusa_doh: Good point there Chev. I just saw CARS yesterday and there is a sequence where the Jeep "Sarge" has an SUV BOOT CAMP and Sarge bellows in his Drill Instructor voice; "I'll show you guys mud where you never thought it would go, now drop down and give me 20 laps" and the Hummer with it's 22 inche chrome wheels squells; "but I've never been off road before, I'll get mud on my wheels".lol lol lol

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A 5,000 pound 4-door Porsche must be one of the signs of the Apocalypse. :eek:

Then again, if only the people who really needed 4wd bought them, it would be uneconomic to build them. The posers subsidize production for the folks who really need them.

And besides, "need" is such a subjective term. If "The Big One" hits Los Angeles when I'm here, I'll wish I had one.

Irena

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
Then again, if only the people who really needed 4wd bought them, it would be uneconomic to build them. The posers subsidize production for the folks who really need them.

...and here we are, back to our basic jeep! Wouldn't that be nice (it would be cheaper for those who really need them not to have to pay so much for all the extras).

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Irena said:
...and here we are, back to our basic jeep! Wouldn't that be nice (it would be cheaper for those who really need them not to have to pay so much for all the extras).

Exactly. It's a great example of a justifiable 4x4. Basic heavy duty off - road transportation with updates and some amenities if you want, but without the exorbitantly over-priced nametag.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Another reason dealers keep so many 4X4's on the lot is that there is a couple hundred dollars more mark-up in a 4X4 than 2WD. So the dealers keep way more on and people come in not knowing squat at buy one by default.:eek: Finding a 2WD Suburban is almost futile.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Interesting. So many examples of decorative 4x4s. I admit I want one, but no one makes the one I want. We have an 85 Dodge Ram utility van that we drive up into the mountains and use for camping. Pickups don't work well enough, you can't lock up all your stuff in back. SUVs are too small on the inside, or actually guzzle more gas than the van. If only the van had 4 wheel drive, then we wouldn't have to put snow chains on to negotiate some of those sketchy mountain passes. I'm looking for someone who will do the conversion on a newer van.

"but I've never been off road before, I'll get mud on my wheels"
:rolleyes:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
skinnychik said:
Interesting. So many examples of decorative 4x4s. I admit I want one, but no one makes the one I want. We have an 85 Dodge Ram utility van that we drive up into the mountains and use for camping. Pickups don't work well enough, you can't lock up all your stuff in back. SUVs are too small on the inside, or actually guzzle more gas than the van. If only the van had 4 wheel drive, then we wouldn't have to put snow chains on to negotiate some of those sketchy mountain passes. I'm looking for someone who will do the conversion on a newer van.

"but I've never been off road before, I'll get mud on my wheels"
:rolleyes:

I used to work with someone that had a 4 WD Chevy van. She had to order it special from the dealership. Was about 12 years ago I think, but maybe they can still be had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters