Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5* 1950’s All Weather Half belt repro seal brown goat

Caught a little break in the gloom and really wanted to post some at least half way decent pics of this jacket along with my thoughts on the build. I’ll update with better pics tomorrow but had to put something together for this jacket as it really is a gem imho.

First thing I want to say is that I believe Five Star makes a great jacket. I won’t compare it to Aero or any of the other high end, top dollar makers. I don’t think that is fair and there really is no point. The important point is simply that the jacket materials, construction and fit are all good! The appeal for me with 5 star is my ability to influence the design, completely tailor the fit, and have it turned around for a relatively small amount of money in a very short amount of time. I have hundreds of images of vintage jackets that I would like to have built. This process with Shawn brings a huge smile to my face.

I provided the following size information to Shawn to guide the build:
Neck hole diameter: 18”
Shoulders: 19”
Chest p2p: 22.5”
Waist:20.5”
Hem:21”
Sleeve:26.5” (Outseam)
Sleeve: 19” (inseam/pit to cuff)-high armhole
Bicep:8.5”
Elbow:7”
Cuff:6”
Armscye: 11”
1” front drop
26” back length
4.5” collar point (wide collar)
The jacket is based on this extinct vintage Halfbelt:
C8FF1800-CE43-4951-B51C-9B5BC4CAF86A.jpeg
BFD229B1-E199-4A4B-9C7D-C9E404B8A0B4.jpeg

my jacket is seal brown premium goatskin, with poly satin seal brown liner and thread. I took the liberty of adding ornamental horn buttons to the cuff, which are standard with olive green storm cuffs.
25F80C10-1EAC-4B57-8A90-FDB60295BB64.jpeg
3D4FAD23-34D2-4C98-8FB9-5884AF25AF8F.jpeg
A9EBBF29-39EB-437F-BCAE-0636ABD1DDF6.jpeg

And some fit pics:
D04FE14B-B427-44A0-9B26-ECDDFF02A3C6.jpeg
1D00B537-D447-47CC-842C-F5B8C42CBAFE.jpeg
921F85B2-2F61-459D-AFF4-7EDBB9A681A1.jpeg
0B8425E9-89AA-49E0-BBE1-3B4901A8AA3D.jpeg

I am thoroughly delighted with the end result and look forward to additional reproduction projects with 5 Star going forward! I will upload some better shots of the jacket in the coming days. Have a great weekend loungers!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Cha-ching.

Goat definitely the way to go. I like the steer one I got, but even from just the samples, goat clearly is their sweet spot.

Definitely getting that other jacket first helped you refine all the measurements. So crucial. It's going to be second skin like crazy because you're basically already there with a couple hours wear. Nuts!!! I got lucky with the fit on my first try. Fits me almost perfectly. Just the sleeves a tad bit short, but I guess that's also a design choice/preference not necessarily a shortfall.

But yeah, wow, fantastic jacket.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The collar is so cool! I also like the addition of the two buttons on the cuffs. I think that completes the vintage look. Perfect fit. I think Shawn raised his own bar with this one.

Cha-ching.

Goat definitely the way to go. I like the steer one I got, but even from just the samples, goat clearly is their sweet spot.

Definitely getting that other jacket first helped you refine all the measurements. So crucial. It's going to be second skin like crazy because you're basically already there with a couple hours wear. Nuts!!! I got lucky with the fit on my first try. Fits me almost perfectly. Just the sleeves a tad bit short, but I guess that's also a design choice/preference not necessarily a shortfall.

But yeah, wow, fantastic jacket.
Thanks man. I’d be interested in seeing the black goat. Can you upload a pic?

Psant25

One Too Many
Wow that is a perfect fit! Love that style. How close did all the measurements come out?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations. Very well done.
And the best thing is, I just need to give shawn your measurements and lengthen the body and sleeves and it should fit. LOL
Of all the 5 * jackets I have, I like seal brown heavy goat best.
In the VLJ I read that Shawn had developed special goatskin and colors for the A-2 jackets. The first pictures look promising.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Thanks man. I’d be interested in seeing the black goat. Can you upload a pic?
I only have the sample. My jacket was Seal Brown Premium Steer. Like I said, it's nice. Kind of one dimensional though and it seems to be chipping pretty easily with a lighter brown underneath. Not necessarily bad, will create some cool aging.

I asked for other samples of the sheepskin and buffalo, but he never sent them. So can't comment on those. But this black goat sample looks real good. Little bit stretchy but tough. It's black all the way through. In comparison to the Seal Brown goat sample, the black is a lot more "pebble". Don't know if it's just the pieces I got or overall that's how it tans with the top coat or whatever.

2NYkKvk.jpg

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Right on Tony, that's a great looking & fitting jacket!.
I think you say it perfectly, if you want to reproduce something otherwise unavailable, and take the time to dial in all the measurements, add a few design choices. Five Star is the right place at the right price!

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Fantastic jacket. 5 Star hits the sweet spot in terms of jacket customizations+price point+execution. They have broken the age-old adage of pick 2: good, fast, cheap. There are certainly better finished jackets out there with better leather offerings, but at a 4x premium, minimum. For this discerning crowd, I think 5 Star is best for those who want the option of customizing jacket patterns.

Wow that is crazy. Did you need to explain how u measured some of those or do they show it on their site? I have not checked them out too much might need to
I sent photos of a jacket I had measured for reference and he matched them. I received photos of all the measurements I provided on the finished jacket prior to having it shipped.

Fantastic jacket. 5 Star hits the sweet spot in terms of jacket customizations+price point+execution. They have broken the age-old adage of pick 2: good, fast, cheap. There are certainly better finished jackets out there with better leather offerings, but at a 4x premium, minimum. For this discerning crowd, I think 5 Star is best for those who want the option of customizing jacket patterns.
Yes! Exactly this.

Psant25

One Too Many
I sent photos of a jacket I had measured for reference and he matched them. I received photos of all the measurements I provided on the finished jacket prior to having it shipped.
That is pretty amazing. Blows the fit jacket process away I think. If someone knows what they want that is measurement wise

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That really looks good!
At least from the pictures it doesn't look like a 300$ jacket, it fits and looks better than more expensive jackets i have seen around here.
I don't think you have ever gotten such high value/fit for the money in any other jacket i have seen you post before.
It's also really cool that you have found "your thing". Do you already have a No2 planned? Or is it too soon?
Now i really hope we are not going to start seeing a bunch of custom 5 Star jackets/Ton 312 Collabs in the classified soon...

Edit: where are they made? Pakistan was it?

That really looks good!
At least from the pictures it doesn't look like a 300$ jacket, it fits and looks better than more expensive jackets i have seen around here.
I don't think you have ever gotten such high value/fit for the money in any other jacket i have seen you post before.
It's also really cool that you have found "your thing". Do you already have a No2 planned? Or is it too soon?
Now i really hope we are not going to start seeing a bunch of custom 5 Star jackets/Ton 312 Collabs in the classified soon...

Edit: where are they made? Pakistan was it?
I have up to 100 made in my mind! LOL. Yes, made in Pakistan, about a two week turn-around from concept to delivery.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have up to 100 made in my mind! LOL. Yes, made in Pakistan, about a to week turn-around from concept to delivery.

The only constructive criticisme i have would be to have these seams double stitched rather than single stitched on the next one:

oX44NZH.jpg

IMO the single folded stitch there is the only whif of cheapness i can see on there.
If that was top stitched like on the OG it would be a 10/10 jacket.
Other than that small crazy nerd detail you really nailed it, well done.

The only constructive criticisme i have would be to have these seams double stitched rather than single stitched on the next one:

oX44NZH.jpg

IMO the single folded stitch there is the only whif of cheapness i can see on there.
If that was top stitched like on the OG it would be a 10/10 jacket.
Other than that small crazy nerd detail you really nailed it, well done.
Yes I noticed that too, it’s interesting b/c my first jacket had two panel sleeves, which I prefer even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB