Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5* jacket hide selection

dep126

Familiar Face
Gonna be putting in an order for a 5* here in the next couple of weeks. I’m going for a half belt design in black. I really like the one ton312 posted a while back. Question I’m having is on the leather. I read through the lengthy, five star leather post, but realize a lot of that information is quite old. What is their best hide in black? I’ve read a lot about their goat, but I was hoping someone had some experience with their horse or steer hide. I’ve had Aero FQHH so I understand how that feels. Jacket might see some actual riding time so I have that to consider. Right now I’m looking at either the steer or horse but am interested in hearing what others have to say! Pics are always welcome as well!

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
Gonna be putting in an order for a 5* here in the next couple of weeks. I’m going for a half belt design in black. I really like the one ton312 posted a while back. Question I’m having is on the leather. I read through the lengthy, five star leather post, but realize a lot of that information is quite old. What is their best hide in black? I’ve read a lot about their goat, but I was hoping someone had some experience with their horse or steer hide. I’ve had Aero FQHH so I understand how that feels. Jacket might see some actual riding time so I have that to consider. Right now I’m looking at either the steer or horse but am interested in hearing what others have to say! Pics are always welcome as well!
I'm wondering about this as well. The premium goat seems the go to now, but it's a little bit to 'pebbled' to my taste. Looking for a slightly less pebbled leather.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
The "premium black goat" + waxed in 1.4mm for reference (my only experience with 5* leather).
1677759355638.png
1677759376901.png
1677759391589.png
1677759421365.png
1677759456782.png
1677759438491.png

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
Okay maybe I'll just go for the premium goat, that jacket is awesome! @TartuWolf quick question: is this fully tanned or is there some brown teacore underneath that you know off?

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Johhnyheuvel
All leathers are fully tanned, I guess you meant dyed through.
It is combination tanned and fully dyed through in this case.
I'm quite happy with it, even though I like smooth leather a lot more than pebbly.

If you want this kind of grain then specify it explicitly - it might cost a bit more to search through the hides to find some of you, but it's worth it in my perspective.

Good luck with your order, but make sure you really specify as many details about every single aspect of the jacket as possible, otherwise you are rolling the dice on many things.
1677779573477.png

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
Indeed I meant fully dyed, not tanned. Thanks for your help! Your jacket looks awesome btw. I'll have to decide between seal brown or black now hehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm