Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$5 Words

Lancealot

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
This thread wasn't meant to be supercilious or to embarrass others. I was only wondering what makes a $5 word a $5 word. Again, why is 'fo'shizzle' acceptable on the news and why aren't all the words we listed here? I'm interested in continuing this discussion, but as we've already covered a lot ground here, please read through the thread before responding.

Scotrace, if you're still following this thread, we really need that Academia forum. :)

Regards,

Senator Jack

I think determining a $5 dollar word has more to do with the group you are addressing than the word itself.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think a $5 word (and shouldn't that be a $25 word now? You can't get nothin' any more for five bucks) can best be defined as a word that's overconspicuously erudite -- too much so to suit the given situation.

For example, for two meterologists, the word "occlude" would be entirely proper -- "There's an occluded front over New Hampshire." Or for two astronomers -- "Next week, the moon will occlude our view of Venus." In situations like that, the precise meaning of a word like "occlude" makes it the only appropriate word for the sentence, so there's nothing pretentious or stuffy or self-important or overconspicuous about its use.

But if Joe Blow is at the ballgame and gets up and yells "HEY YA BUM -- DOWN IN FRONT! YA OCCLUDIN' MY VIEW OF MANNY RAMIREZ," well, Joe is a pretentious git who deserves to have a cup of warm Narragansett thrown at him from the cheap seats.

It's all in the context, in other words. At least that's how I see it.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
That reminds me of what someone else once said, "Talk, talk, talk, doesn't anybody...". Actually, I had better not finish that. It was somewhat uncouth.:eek:

The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL