Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50's and 60's fedora lounge?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
My point, in all this, is simply to emphasize that the advances on the Civil Rights front didn't just flare up out of nowhere in the sixties -- and they certainly weren't a *product* of the sixties. Instead, they were the culmination of continuous pressures that had been building for years, especially since the end of WW2. And it was, more than any other, the generation born between 1910 and 1930 that made those changes happen.

I agree, Civil Rights did not "flare up" out of nowhere. However, the movement in the United States started long before those born between 1910 and 1930.

"The first legislative attempts to assure African Americans an equal political and legal status were the Civil Rights Acts of 1866, 1870, 1871, and 1875. Those acts bestowed upon African Americans such freedoms as the right to sue and be sued, to give evidence, and to hold real and personal property. The 1866 act was of dubious constitutionality and was reenacted in 1870 only after the passage of the Fourteenth Amendment. The fourth Civil Rights Act attempted to guarantee to the African Americans those social rights that were still withheld. It penalized innkeepers, proprietors of public establishments, and owners of public conveyances for discriminating against African Americans in accommodations, but was invalidated by the Supreme Court in 1883 on the ground that these were not properly civil rights and hence not a field for federal legislation.

After the Civil Rights Act of 1875 there was no more federal legislation in this field until the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960, although several states passed their own civil-rights laws."

However, see, Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896), is a landmark United States Supreme Court decision, upholding the constitutionality of racial segregation even in public accommodations (particularly railroads), under the doctrine of "separate but equal", for example.

Marcus Garvey's Universal Negro Improvement Association made great strides in organizing in these new communities and among the internationalist-minded "New Negro" movement in the early 1920s.

This all precipitated the modern American Civil Rights Movement (1955–1968).

Josephine Baker supported the American Civil Rights Movement during the 1950s. She protested in her own way against racism, adopting 12 multi-ethnic orphans, who she called the "Rainbow Tribe. Further, Baker refused to perform for segregated establishments. Grace Kelly openly supported Baker at the Stork Club vowing never to return.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I have heard “the Fifties” characterized as beginning when Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier in 1947 and ending with the Kennedy Assassination in 1963. That was the era of postwar optimism, when America could do no wrong, and the future was rosy and bright.

Not that there’s nothing to like about the 1960s, but it’s definitely a different era. More cynical and youth-centric. In some ways, it’s still going on.

-Dave

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
We also have to remember that the Civil Rights Movement was not strictly aimed at the betterment of Blacks, although they had more to gain. The Civil Rights Act also was aimed at the tribalism that Irish, Italian and Polish Americans were using in the building and trades, garbage collection and civil service. There were entire Union Locals in the Northeast where if you weren't Irish, Italian or Polish you didn't get in and get a job unless you either changed your name or married someone of that ethnic group. So a lot a returning vets came back, tried to get into a trade and were turned down and told "sorry paisan" so they said said "screw that, I didn't go and fight fascists in Italy or Reds in Korea just so little pockets of that can flourish here in the states, and with my tax dollars!!!". Even worse was how these groups treated the taxpayer financed Police, Fire and Public Works Deparments; little principalities modeled after Southern Europe villages. Out West here in California, these ethnics used the Masonic system to build up their little fiefdoms. So the Civil Rights Act was aimed at leveling the playing field for all-Americans and not letting the Northeast turn into the heel and toe of the boot.

Carlisle Blues

^^^
Also the woman's rights movement...which in 1848 started with the Declaration of Sentiments; a set of resolutions is adopted calling for equal treatment of women and men under the law and voting rights for women.

Doran said:
Similarly, if we look at e.g. eugenics in the USA and are horrified that's fine personally, but we need to put that into the perspective of long, long traditions in many societies of careful breeding and ideas about what hereditary characteristics are useful and which not ... and after seeing the film Idiocracy, eugenics will never be the same to me.

Starbucks and Fuddruckers are now not the same for me after seeing that movie. ;) :p
More people need to see that movie. Perhaps they can see where we are going and stop it before we get that stupid.

Oh and the 1970s were in fact the worst period for fashion. :D

Geesie

Practically Family
idiocracy.png

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
docneg said:
Very well said, and this statement needs more exposure!

It's all too easy to think of a particular point in time as being "the moment"--especially if one happened to be there. To me, it's a little like a corporation owning the patent and making millions from the invention of a nameless employee. We like to steal the glory of the previous generation because we are the ones who made it "hip", or whatever...

Which is why, despite the importance of M.L. King, there are people who believe that early civil rights leaders like Charles Hamilton Houston and A. Philip Randolph need to be equally recognized and honored.

Dr Doran

I'll take a well-read person who disagrees with me on substantive issues over a poorly-read one who doesn't, any day. And I am always more impressed by people who say
"I don't like the picture this evidence paints, but it seems sadly true"
over people who insist
"this evidence contradicts what I think should be true, so therefore the evidence must be wrong."

And this, my friends, is why I like james powers.

But that's getting a bit off topic, n'est-ce pas?

The topic seems to be this: are the 50s and 60s pretty well represented here and on The Cad? I think they are, aren't they? And I've apologized for the "why do I hate the 1970s so much" thread.

So, as far as I am concerned, I think I'll unsubscribe from this thread.

P.S. Idiocracy-wise: on hereditary traits and what effect they may have on human populations, rather than reading a cartoon about Idiocracy, I'd recommend reading the following very recent books:
A Farewell to Alms by Clark
The 10,000 Year Explosion by Harpending and Cochrane
Before the Dawn by Wade

And, if you can stomach it, examining very closely the arguments in Understanding Human History by Hart, rather than dismissing them out of hand because one finds them unpleasant. The last book is controversial, but needs to be read very slowly and evaluated rather than thrown across a room. The first three are not very controversial to anyone who has spent more than a half hour reading anything about population genetics, and they are not specialized works requiring a huge knowledge of population genetics: they are works by scholars who apply some of the ideas of population genetics.

Anyone wishing to discuss this further, please PM me. These topics are probably not suitable for a forum that focusses on the style of the 1940s.

See you all on the suit and hat threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy