Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$510 dollars !!!!!! ??????

android

One of the Regulars
Looks like two idiots got in a pissing contest.

Nice photos though. I saved them so I can have one made later.

Hmmmm... I have an extra one that I could let go for that much. Who will start the bidding? :p
Those two people were nuts. It isn't like the hat is a hard to find size or anything. Maybe they did think it was the Howard Hughes hat. Maybe they will figure it out---eventually. ;)

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Both the bidders who sniped each other until time ran out are newer people. They have 50-something wins each.

Sometimes new folks don't know the price of something and/or they get into a bidding war and get addicted to the win (it is an adrenilan rush, let me tell you).

Notice that some of the folks who bid early on stopped at a certain point. Many of them had higher wins and have been around for awhile.

karol

The Wingnut

One Too Many
At that price, I'd be afraid to ever wear it, not that it would hurt the value!

And it's funny to watch new bidders' activity. They bid like mad until they either hit the reserve or find your maximum bid. It's frustrating sometimes, but it's funny when it doesn't raise the price too high.

If I'm bidding on something, I either use a sniping service (put the stones down, fellas...) or I put it all on the line early, the absolute maximum amount I'm willing to pay. If someone outbids me, I can laugh at them for paying so much. If I get people raising the price, I can still be happy that I got the item for less than I was really willing to pay.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Quote from KD: They have 50-something wins each.

Ummmm, just because they have 50 items won I wouldn't call them Rookies! I have less then that and I know my stuff! You see, Ebay is expensive and I try and stay off of that thing when I can. I have only 26 or so items I have one over the last three years. Would I be a Rookie? No, I don't think so. The Rookies have 0-10 feedback and items won. We must remember that Egos get the best of men sometimes. The high price for a some what common Stetson from the early 50's is no big deal to the winner to see that the other guy lost to him. Some will bid and bid to win and then they don't have any intent to pay. It's all a big game to some! Sick as it sounds, it's true. I have bid on a 30’s radio that had no bids for the whole auction till the last few hours some people started to bid and drive up the price. I looked at their feedback and saw that they had bought no vintage radios or any antiques at all. So, I saw that these guys were trying to jack the auction. So, I threw down a big bid at the last moment and won! That will show them I thought! I did spend a little more then the item started out at, but it was worth every penny to know I beat them and that the radio was going to a good home.

Oh ebay, I’m going gray over you!

Root.

Wild Root said:
Oh ebay, I’m going gray over you!

Better than going bald over it. :p
The best thing to do is figure out how much it is worth to you and then nail them at the last second. If it is more than you are willing to bid or more than you think it is worth then you actually get the last laugh. They paid more than it was worth. Dummies. :p This is of course soon after I just picked up a 30s tux for $26 by the way. Definitely below my maximum bid. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Stetson "Stratoliner" Questions

O.K.- now my interest is picqued.
What is the deal on the "Stratoliner" model Stetson fedora.
I looked on Eprey and they even have a Fortis wristwatch and vintage advertisements for a "Stratoliner" stove. I know Howard Hughes had a Stratoliner as his personal aircraft, but what's the backstory on the Stetson?
I think it looks pretty cool, but I'm not dropping $500.00++ on one.
If anyone could provide some background, or at least steer me in the right direction to a source, I would certainly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
rilico ( 819) Seller

I sold that hat and it was worth every penny. In fact I bought it from Fedora and paid him $475.00 for it. As you can or did see I barley got my money back. Whew!! :cry: ;) :rolleyes:

rilico ( 819) ;)

Flitcraft said:
O.K.- now my interest is picqued.
What is the deal on the "Stratoliner" model Stetson fedora.
I looked on Eprey and they even have a Fortis wristwatch and vintage advertisements for a "Stratoliner" stove. I know Howard Hughes had a Stratoliner as his personal aircraft, but what's the backstory on the Stetson?
I think it looks pretty cool, but I'm not dropping $500.00++ on one.
If anyone could provide some background, or at least steer me in the right direction to a source, I would certainly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

Well, let's see. I wrote a short history on it in this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2247&highlight=Stratoliner
I hope that helps.

Regards to all,

J

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Re: Stetson "Stratoliner"

WOW!
Thanks, man!
That was exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!
Thanks for posting!

Of course, now it makes me want to buy a new fedora, maybe another leather jacket from Aero.....hmmmmm.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW