Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$700 Horween Dublin Jacket -- Thoughts?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
They sold fairly well at first, but I'm not sure any of them have funded yet.
Again, I like the guys at Gustin, but there's no passion or anything about the gear that is unique - in fact, it's very very generic. I guess that appeals to some of the up and coming SF hipsters, but aside from the jeans, which I do really like, I'm not buying much else...
You can get a used ELC, GW, Aero, etc. for the same or less. That's what I look for.
Agree. There see,s to be no actual passion from them. They put their hands in every stereotypical menswear pot so they feel quite faceless.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Looks like it was designed by someone who has little experience with leather jackets and tried to inject minimalist cool in his/her design but needs a couple of more tries to get the right mojo into the jacket. Fancy leather will not compensate for general blandness in this case.

Bat02

Familiar Face
Sort of reviving this thread to make a comment and some of you can shed some light on this if you think I'm not making sense.
What I believe is happening here is that Gustin has taken the same approach to building jackets as they did with the jeans, source a quality raw material and ask people to build a decent product with it. The problem with jackets is that patterns are more intricate that with jeans and it takes more to make a good jacket that just patching together good raw materials. On top of that hides, as they're skins, come with flaws and imperfections. Compared to a roll of denim where you can predict accurately how many jeans can be made out of them, if you wanted to build jackets out of 20 hides, you could probably make 2 perfect ones but then the waste would be massive and all the leftover could be used to do small leather goods with character but you have no way to know for sure untill you've carefully inspected each hide. My guess is they're skipping this process and just go ahead and maximise the amount of jacket per sq feet of hide they have resulting in odd looking jackets. Finally, I know dublin is used to build small leather goods and shoes but I never heard of it being used to create jackets so the problem of selecting the proper leather for the proper use could also come into play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR