Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$700 Horween Dublin Jacket -- Thoughts?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I don't like the look of the leather, I don't like the design of the chest pocket. Other than that it's a very ordinary jacket, I guess.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I like it, but don't love it. My main complaint is that in the example the back leather looks too heavily marked up.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Price is low. And I love leathers with a dramatic pull-up. Not made in China. Not sure I like the one-piece back. Sleeve construction looks slim and neat. Collar looks kinda wonky for some reason -- more StyleForum than TFL. Humm...trying to keep wallet in pocket.

They've got the same jacket in cordovan as well -- and $50 cheaper:

https://www.weargustin.com/store/3132

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't mind it but they really need to do something with the back, just add a yoke or something, looks terrible from behind as it is.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like it, but don't love it. My main complaint is that in the example the back leather looks too heavily marked up.
I've always been a little puzzled by leather like that. It's Horween, and when you look at the cuffs it looks fine, but the mottling seems like naugahide. If you look closely at some brown leather you can see a faintly mottled pattern, so I'm wondering if that's something the dying of the leather is normally meant to even out. Maybe some of our experts here would know about it. I'm sure Gustin will defend it rigorously as authentic and all, but it still looks a bit cheesy to my eye.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm not fond of the Horween Dublin at all; the Horween color 8 looks much nicer to me. I would rather have no chest pocket at all than the one used. The one piece back doesn't quite work for me. I think several other brands with which we are all familiar have set the bar very high, so what I see from Gustin isn't quite my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Nice simple jacket and a GREAT price for CXL ( both the #8 and the Natural) ... should age well and the lack of zippers is no bad thing ( I'd suggest that getting rid of the chest pocket would simplify even further and remove an item that many NEVER use - myself included)

Would be interesting to know who is making them ....

"the intense tapestry of highs and lows" "the shifting of the oils."

1187122.gif

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I don't mind the chest pocket as it would not be a deal breaker, slash pockets are fine. The back is missing something....I believe the Dublin leather is vegetable tanned, not sure what was done for the weathered effect although it's a bit much for my taste. I'd rather the weathering be done by me by wearing it. The cordovan piece looks much better although that's an apples to oranges observation since it's CXL.
Retromoto

Last edited:

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Not horrible.... but definitely too marked up which gives it a very fake--linoleum look to it ( lacking depth ) , especially the back. Amateurish at best. Guppy's break-in service couldn't even help it.

Last edited:

Lemon328i

New in Town
I believe Horween Dublin is vegetable tanned and then waxed. I have a watch strap from Jack Foster that is perfect: if there was such a thing as a "picture" of odor, under "leather" would be Horween Dublin! That being said, that style of jacket doesn't work in this particular leather. A rugged style jacket like a barn coat might be more appropriate.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
If the back had some type of detail, I could like it.

Edit: I'm talking about the Gustin jacket in general, not the Dublin leather version. I have a Moleskine cover made in the Dublin leather and love it, but the color variation is a bit much on a jacket.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Don't like the cuffs, pocket, pocket-positioning, back, the chunky zip, or the leather (really hate that leather). Apart from that, it's pretty much fine if you're looking for something that is inoffensively bland and under-designed. For me, simple does not mean characterless; it means allowing the maker's mastery of cut and construction to create an elegant, understated piece that flatters. Gustin's is neither of these things and doesn't.

Last edited:

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I like the design and jacket a lot, the back does look odd right now, but I think in a different leather and breaking it in, it would look nice. I don't mind the plainness because it can be a good option for work. The leather is a little over the top for me though, I would prefer something more conservative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21