Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these Jimmy Choo boots?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I was looking around and saw this pair of boots in their online store, and thought they may make for a nice purchase. I currently have the Wyatt harness boots from YSl and felt like these might be a nice alternative to have for something stylish as well. I can afford them, but I wouldn't want to just frivolously purchase them since they are kind of expensive. Obviously in the end it comes down to what I want to do; but I was really curious of an outside opinion on them, what do you guys think of them in terms of wearability and styling for these boots, and what kind of looks they'd fit well with?

Elias Zip Boot

Jimmy-Choo-Fall-2023-01.jpg
Jimmy-Choo-Fall-2023-02.jpg
F3Fv0ceW4AAJcwx
F3Fv0rNXMAEGl1Z

Thoughts?

While coincidentally I do have (limited) experience with some of this high-street fashion footwear & can from experience reckon that these boots are of good quality - I can see they're very well made, there's a stacked leather sole, etc. - I honestly don't think anyone here will prove to be of any help to you.

On the other hand, while I would recommend you as over at Style Forum or Reddit or some such, more fashion oriented website, the thing is that people who are into brands such as Jimmy Choo,won't really be able to tell you much as they lack comparison. Everything is hyped up to hell and back with them, while most of these guys never handled a run-of-the-mill, 70's ankle boot all these zippered boots are based upon.
Same as with leather jackets & Japanese brands.

But in any case, most of these Italian shoemakers that fashion brands work with, make a fantastic shoe so I'm fairly certain you're good.

That said, why don't you just buy a pair and return it if it sucks ass?

barnabus

One Too Many
To my eyes there is nothing interesting about them at all, I'm afraid.

They are the very definition of "some boots".

If you like them, that's of course great. But I would have no interest in them if they were $90, let alone $950

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
looks like Luxe rubber boots

I know it's designer boots, there must be a concept behind it but, the shaft is huge and short yet there is a zipper on it to me it is the equivalent of non tapering cuff on fashion jacket sleeve with a zipper on it and the shape is very wellies/ rubber boots like especially brand new like that, dunno how it would look with creases on, maybe it would look better, but the last picture with his pants stuck on top of the wide & low shaft when sitting is the ultimate fail on the design, it would annoy you to un stuck your pants from your boots everytime I always snip off the pull loops on chelsea boots because of this reason alone.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I like these much more. The lack of branding helps. I don't know why these fashion brands feel the need to put their name on everything and ruin things.
Isn't that the whole point? Most of your money seems to go towards the brand/name in case of high fashion brands, the actual product/quality seems rather secondary. With some exceptions like the recent blazer that Monitor acquired. If that's the case then slapping your branding/name in the most visible spot is perfect for the wearer in terms of signaling status related to wealth and wearing famous high-end brand clothing.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Isn't that the whole point? Most of your money seems to go towards the brand/name in case of high fashion brands, the actual product/quality seems rather secondary. With some exceptions like the recent blazer that Monitor acquired. If that's the case then slapping your branding/name in the most visible spot is perfect for the wearer in terms of signaling status related to wealth and wearing famous high-end brand clothing.
Yup that's true, which is why I don’t wear that stuff. It even annoys me when supposedly more quality focused brands add branding onto their products.

Edward

Bartender
I'll be the grumpy old man and say zippers don't belong on boots

I suppose it depends on the boot. A Lewis Westway or similar MC boot, fine. The boots in the OP to me look like they'd be much nicer with lacing. To my eye, if zipped, a boot needs to be a bit sleeker. That said, it's a rare fashion item post 1959 that really interests me much at all, so as ever, horses for courses....

I've become a bit more open to side-zips since it became the norm, post-9/11, to have to remove shoes at the airport. Practicality goes a long way in that sort of situation. Less often a fan otherwise.

Another alternative, Bright Shoemakers. Goodyear welted, half the price.

No brand placket on the heel though :p.

https://wardrobe19.com/collections/...ducts/uncle-bright-square-cuban-chelsea-black

View attachment 556432

Those are much nicer. The sleeker profile to my eye works much better with a zip than the chunkier, more combat / 1970s style boot.

I like these much more. The lack of branding helps. I don't know why these fashion brands feel the need to put their name on everything and ruin things.

Wouldn't be my choice either. Still, clearly there's a big market for it or they wouldn't be selling... I much prefer at least more subtle branding, though ideally none external at all.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
tell that to motorcycle gears manufacturers please
why do you need to see your helmet brand from 4 sides in contrasting oval especially when you buy the plain colors.. don't they get it people who buy plain solid color helmet they buy it because they hate graphics and appreciate plain color so don't put oval decal on it unless it can be peeled off...

I guess it depends on the branding, Levi's putting the red tab everywhere, or converse slapping their round patch on every pair are their selling point... perhaps nike, polo, and lacoste are also favorable, or maybe belstaff , while on other brands these branding make them look pretentious and juvenile

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
tell that to motorcycle gears manufacturers please
why do you need to see your helmet brand from 4 sides in contrasting oval especially when you buy the plain colors.. don't they get it people who buy plain solid color helmet they buy it because they hate graphics and appreciate plain color so don't put oval decal on it unless it can be peeled off...

I guess it depends on the branding, Levi's putting the red tab everywhere, or converse slapping their round patch on every pair are their selling point... perhaps nike, polo, and lacoste are also favorable, or maybe belstaff , while on other brands these branding make them look pretentious and juvenile
Yeah the helmet thing is definitely true.

Fair point, although I don't like all of these examples either. Plus, I'd argue that Nike is basically treated as a designer brand now anyway as are many other lower priced makers. They are still largely bought for that branding and clout by many people.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn’t wear the JC boots, but I think they‘re kind off cool. Just not my style.

As to branding. I don’t wear much branded clothing.other than the odd Lacoste Polo.
However, I don’t think it’s necessarily less pretentious to buy expensive names without bold branding. In a way such “hidden” brand fixation is even more “elite” behaviour as it relies on subtle “codes” to be recognised.
Not sure if that makes sense, but whenever I see a plain white cotton shirt/plain black merino turtleneck/(xxx) for hundreds of Euro, it really gives me the creeps.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I can see they're very well made, there's a stacked leather sole, etc. -

Like @Monitor said they're probably good quality although it's hard to really tell without having handled them in the flesh.

Most of your money seems to go towards the brand/name in case of high fashion brands, the actual product/quality seems rather secondary.

A lot of these shoes with high price tags are not so well made. You see once they deconstruct the shoe. Lots of glue. No real stitches or nails. I really find fake welts distasteful. Some of the really expensive shoes are not any better than my cheap Timberlands.

IMG_20231206_155710156.jpg

Another alternative, Bright Shoemakers. Goodyear welted, half the price.

No brand placket on the heel though :p.

most of these guys never handled a run-of-the-mill, 70's ankle boot all these zippered boots are based upon

We're talking about 50 years ago. My memory is a little fuzzy from all of the Quaaludes. So I got these for $25. Pretty close to what I had back then. No prestige in owning an expensive brand. Just cheap enough to help me feel young again when I go to the disco.

1703662572839.png

IMG_20231226_232510573.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-26 23.39.00.png

Screenshot 2023-12-26 23.40.07.png

Some of that is genius in marketing. Like the shoes with the red bottoms. Imagine how that created a sudden demand for red paint. Cobblers probably restore the paint on the bottom of Louboutin shoes more than any other brand.

1703664379114.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner