Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Chapal – Quality, Reputation, and Personal Experiences?

Ulysse

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I've been diving into the world of leather goods and Chapal has particularly piqued my interest, not just for their storied craftsmanship and history, but also for their eye-catching Yellow A1 jacket that I've had my eye on or even their cardigan. Before making any decisions, I believe it's wise to seek out opinions from those who value quality and have a keen eye for reputable brands.

What are your thoughts on Chapal, especially in terms of quality and reputation? Has anyone here had the pleasure of owning the Yellow A1 jacket or other items from them? I'm eager to hear about your personal experiences, the durability of their products, and whether you think the investment holds its value over time.

Any feedback, insights, or stories you could share would be incredibly valuable to me. I’m looking forward to hearing from anyone with firsthand experience or knowledge about Chapal and their offerings.

here is the website, with a beautuful B3 too: https://chapal.fr/fr/boutique/

Thanks in advance for your help!
1712569761880.png
1712569789504.png
1712569831412.png

Ulysse

New in Town
Yeah, I think so too, especially considering their B3, for example. But their A1 is pretty cool and unique, with a price slightly higher than Eastman's. Maybe it's a good compromise. but yeah that's not cheap. for their B3 they say "Winter jacket in polished turned sheepskin created in 1932 by the Army Air Corp. This model, along with the RAF from the Royal Air Force, is one of the most popular winter jackets. Made from Colorado sheepskin to maintain great historical authenticity, this model continues a plasticizing process invented by Chapal in Brooklyn, which waterproofs the skin and gives it a cracked appearance. Its distinctive features include having only one external pocket and two substantial leather reinforcements on the sleeves to prevent tears in the cockpits of Bombardier aircraft." It's also worth noting that it's a French luxury brand that's almost 200 years old. They manufacture everything from A to Z without any subcontracting.

jchance

One of the Regulars
I’d consider a used Chapal for a fraction of the retail price if one ever pops up in my size and the style is interesting. (I’ve seen some used Chapal going for about $700 on JP site but the style was too fashion-forward.) Otherwise it’s a hard pass. I’d buy Freewheelers, despite their increasingly insane price, over Chapal any day of the week.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
thanks a lot. can you expain why? i'm novice
Because most of the (very high) price you pay is for the branding. It is fine if you want to pay for the prestige of a luxury brand. Most here would rather pay for quality hides and workmanship which usually amounts to about 1/2 of Chapal prices or less (ballpark).

mumpy

A-List Customer
Personally I think talking about money in this hobby is a bit ridiculous. There are people who will buy 1 Chapal jacket and call it a day. Maybe wear it a few times and keep it in the closet.

On the other hand, most of us here have spent 10 times that over the years while trying to come up with reasons to keep doing it. So yeah, if you like Chapal go for it!

Ulysse

New in Town
Personally I think talking about money in this hobby is a bit ridiculous. There are people who will buy 1 Chapal jacket and call it a day. Maybe wear it a few times and keep it in the closet.

On the other hand, most of us here have spent 10 times that over the years while trying to come up with reasons to keep doing it. So yeah, if you like Chapal go for it!
LOL good points;) i've just bought a californian havana, a G1 and a B3 concho from eastman the past three months. so i need to calm down lol. but sure one day i will rethink to buy an A1 chapal or a coat from them.It will depend on whether my bonus stays as cool as this year. ahah. But Will Zach isn't wrong in saying that you need to know what you primarily want, a well-made beautiful jacket or luxury. So, if you can have the former without going through the latter, that's cool. but yeah good advice thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner