Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9mm or 45cal

Rathdown

Practically Family
I dunno either! There had to be a loophole found somewhere. Because just like Rathdown said, the High-Standard holsters were on the list. I remember well. I'll try to find out again tomorrow.
We have enough problem trying to get ATF to give us answers on what does or doesn't constitute "manufacturing".

Renault
The rule of thumb seems to be that if the gun can quickly be withdrawn from the holster it is legal. If it can't be "quickly" withdrawn, but can still be fired while in the holster, then it's not legal. (Makes about as much sense as the infield fly rule, if you ask me...)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Actually, as I recall, we tried this with a couple of revolvers: a Colt Detective Special, a 2-in S&W M and P (aka Model 10) and a .32 S&W Safety Hammerless aka "Lemon Squeezer". The autos were a 1908 Colt pocket auto, a Mod. 1934 Beretta, and an FN "Baby Browning". We avoided any "new guns" and confined ourselves to stuff available pre-war, guns that guys like Cagney and Bogart would have packed.

One word of advice, though. Be mindful of how you grip the automatics when firing them from inside the purse as the slide can come back and bite you if you aren't careful.

Thanks for the additional parameters.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The rule of thumb seems to be that if the gun can quickly be withdrawn from the holster it is legal. If it can't be "quickly" withdrawn, but can still be fired while in the holster, then it's not legal. (Makes about as much sense as the infield fly rule, if you ask me...)

Ah Rathdown, at least I understand the infield fly rule, but the "reasoning" behind government... Compared to that I understand Women.

later

Story

I'll Lock Up
Actually, considering the circumstances during which one would be forced to fire from a coat pocket or purse, why does it need to be more than one shot?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, considering the circumstances during which one would be forced to fire from a coat pocket or purse, why does it need to be more than one shot?

Hi

Zombieland Rule #2, "Double Tap Everything". Look it up... O.K. it's from a ZOMBIE movie, but it's still a great idea.

:eek:

Later

TM

A-List Customer
The only time I ever fired at someone was with a 9mm Ruger. I missed. The target left the scene. Fast. I was very relieved. .45 would have had the exact same effect.

The only time I ever fired at someone was with a 9mm Ruger. I missed. The target left the scene. Fast. I was very relieved. .45 would have had the exact same effect.

When the you know what hits the fan it's hits that count the most. Hiowever the bad guy fleeing is pretty good. (Unless you were supposed to catch them.)

anon`

One Too Many
I think "wallet guns" are prohibited by federal law; as I recall, Hi-Standard offered their two shot .22/.22Mag with a wallet holster, but ran afoul of an obscure (aren't they all) federal law prohibiting them. Maybe Renault can shed more light on them?
They're not prohibited. They fall under the classification of "any other weapon" as defined in 26 USC §5845(e): "[t]he term 'any other weapon' means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive . . . ." Pistols and revolvers are subsequently categorically excluded from this definition, however.

But, look at a couple examples:
wallet-holster.jpg

and
wallet-holster-2.jpg

Note that the firearm itself cannot be "readily" drawn from the holder, but can be fired. The ATF is a little vague on whether that distinguishes these holders from a traditional wallet-style holster with a hold over the trigger. Per their guidance, the above are "Any Other Weapon with firearm[.]"

Regardless of whether the holster needs be enclosed, the transfer tax is only $5, and that is only levied if the holster is transferred with a firearm. The manufacturing tax is $200, however, and it is entirely possible that the ATF considers the placing of a firearm into such a holster to be "manufacturing." Indeed, merely possessing both at the same time probably qualifies, given how they deal with sub-16" barrels and autosears.

But they aren't illegal.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
I have carried a P95 everyday for several years and love it. It is a workhorse of a pistol. I have never had any problems with it. Which gun did you go with?

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
Chaps, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ruger firearms. Ruger makes a great handgun, always has and I believe they always will. I personally carry a Smith and Wesson M&P .45ACP. It's difficult to conceal a full-size .45, but I somehow manage to do it! I love the .45 caliber. I carried a 9mm as a police officer, but now it's a .40 S&W for a duty gun. My personal concealed carry handgun is a .45, but my duty gun is a .40.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
I also have a Uberti 1873 Single Action Army in .45LC that I like to carry every now and then. It is a little more difficult to pull off in conceal carry mode, but it is fun to carry a cowboy gun.

Buggnkat

Familiar Face
Ecorrigan do you find the SW a bit of an ammo snob? I owned one and found that it was a good shooting gun but if you used anything in it but factory Rems it had a bad tendancy to jam on me.

Chaps, heck of a pistol to pack! I too do love those cowboy guns. How does yours shoot?

ecorrigan

Familiar Face
Buggnkat, I haven't had a problem with any of the ammo I've fed through it. From a multitude of factory ammo to the handloads that I put through it, it's never given me any grief! It works great!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Chaps, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ruger firearms. Ruger makes a great handgun, always has and I believe they always will. I personally carry a Smith and Wesson M&P .45ACP. It's difficult to conceal a full-size .45, but I somehow manage to do it! I love the .45 caliber. I carried a 9mm as a police officer, but now it's a .40 S&W for a duty gun. My personal concealed carry handgun is a .45, but my duty gun is a .40.

I too am issued the M&P 40 but carry the M&P 45 midsize as an OD weapon.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
This has been an interesting and informative thread, for a woman who has just completed her 'concealed carry' certification. I haven't yet purchased a weapon, but have tacked my bullet-riddled paper target guy to the front window as a warning....

Landman

One Too Many
Personally I prefer 45 ACP but believe accuracy is most important. If you are not comfortable with a 45 and can shoot a 9mm better then go with it.

For concealed carry it is hard to beat a 1911 style pistol because of the slim width. Of course it is thin because it is a single stack pistol so you are giving up capacity for comfort. I'm ok with that for a concelaed carry gun though. Below is a picture of one of mine. It is a Colt Officer's Model which gives you a 1911 in a smaller package. It has a 3 1/2 barrel and a shorter grip. However, Colt has some new flush fitting mags for the Officer so you can carry 7 rounds instead of 6 in the mag. Same capacity as a Government Model.

ColtOfficerStainless03a.jpg

do you find the SW a bit of an ammo snob? I owned one and found that it was a good shooting gun but if you used anything in it but factory Rems it had a bad tendancy to jam on me.

One thing that i noticed in the Gun Tests magazine they would do a seires of tests with a wide variety of ammo and for some guns they would find as you did a particular brand that the firearm functioned best with. I'd suspect a problem if it only works reliably with one brand.

Another thing was in the tests they'd sometime come up with one brand / type of ammo that a firearm was most accurate and others that they would have the widest groups. So in the end if you find one that works best, is the most reliable and or accurate it's something to consider for daily carry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot