Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 repro... You get one choice... Everyone encouraged to comment!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Great comments guys, some valuable insights...
CBI... 18 GWs!!!! Crikey.... Which one is your favourite? (Remember, you can only choose one... maybe two ;) )
And I assume we can look forward to a new thread, 'CBI's 18 GWs' full of pics!!!!!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
CBI... 18 GWs!!!! Crikey.... Which one is your favourite? (Remember, you can only choose one... maybe two ;) )
And I assume we can look forward to a new thread, 'CBI's 18 GWs' full of pics!!!!!

Man! I don't even have 18 jackets! You can easily buy a Harley Fatboy with those money! CBI, I envy you!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

+1!!! Do you sleep under them?

CBI

One Too Many
sorry to disappoint, I have been following Good Wear from its beginnings and have purchased so many from early test jackets to the latest offerings. I think I only currently own 7 of them now - need to go look in the closet. As one was sold for another, the financial outlay was not much really. Jackets were sold as GW upgraded their product however I am still amazed at how good the earlier models were-are. My favorite contracts are any of the Werbers and the Aero 21996. John's just got it down in a way the others don't. All of those hyper authentic details and vintage cut make IMO, the best repros. Yes, other makers do great stuff but GW is worth the wait/price hands down.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
True, but 7 is still still quite some number. I am never that good in reselling my jackets, maybe I should. Anyone interested in a brand new Aero 40-3785 smooth russet with 101st Airborne patches?

So, back to the original topic, bottom line is, Goodwear all the way.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I've studied the repro A-2 jackets from the various makers somewhat continually for a little over a year. My opinions, for what they are (or are not) worth:

The best I have seen is Goodwear. Not only is the product excellent, the man who makes them has a genuine excitement about his work and the jackets he crafts by hand. The specific details and distinctions of the original, and the exactness of pattern to the original - these are strong reasons I like the Goodwear A2 jackets. These jackets are essentially all custom made to the customer. If money is no object and you are able to be patient for delivery, this is the option I would choose.

I have also seen jackets by Eastman. These are also good and I believe they are also actively improving their products. The research done by Mr. Eastman is thorough and his A-2 reference book is a much needed companion to the bookshelf of any A2 aficionado. If you are an issue size (or are close to it) and need a jacket quickly, this is an option.

Aero jackets are competitively priced, but they do have a more limited range of original contract patterns which can be ordered. If you want a more affordable A-2 and can wait a few months for delivery (or if you find one your size already made on their sales page), or if you want customization in your A2, this is an option.

I have no experience with Bill Kelso, RMNZ, Lost Worlds, etc so I cannot comment on the jackets they offer.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I'd go with a BK Arco A-2 in dark seal "Victory" HH with rust red knits. Awesome combination for an A-2!

Brettafett

One Too Many
I guess I should post some comments also…
Before I go further, let me first state that I have not (as yet) owned or handled a BK or any of the Japanese or NZ jackets.
I also think no 'one' guy makes the 'best' A-2 ever. (OK, John is hard to beat).
There are a few guys who are making some fantastic jackets.
That said, some guys seem to produce jackets of a more consistent quality… They are a safer bet.
Then again tastes, preferences and perspectives also change… there will always be premium maker jackets being sold on…

Short answer: GW. Monarch, Star or RW1401. BK Star, Monarch? ELC Werber? Monarch?
(I also like Aerial Star's slash pocket civvie jacket….)

Longer answer:
Based on what I have actually owned and handled, I would go with a GW as a first choice, hands down. Have handled a few, owned one, wish I'd held on to the first jacket I tried on.
Its all been said before. Authenticity, correct patterns, leather options, personalized fit, hardware, attention to detail, customer service, consistency… etc.
Which contract? Jeez… Has this kept me awake at nights… Monarch, Star, RW1401, early Aero, even a No Name 18246 looks good to me.

BK? Am tempted to try what appears to be a quality offering.

Next, ELC? I like the look of their Werber (possibly Monarch). This jacket is one of the few ELC patterns I have seen worn that actually looks really good. I have never been able to 'click' with their RW patterns, have tried four over the years… A good fit seems to elude me. Don't like their knits…
That said, patterns have possibly changed since my last attempt in 2005…

Aero. Have had a few and as has been said before, a damn good jacket, albeit, not super accurate. My 15142 has been my best fitting A-2 thus far. However, I don't feel that their recent A-2 offerings are of the same caliber as what was available a year or two ago… (I sincerely hope this changes…) Their Customer Service remains high…

Also, none of my jackets looked anything like the web page jackets (that smart, square mannequin fit and the creased leather full of character - naive?). I am taking those pics with a pinch o salt ;)
Always get samples!!!

As has been said before in this post, so much depends on… so much ;)
Personal taste, preference, expectations, pattern, required fit, available $$$, etc…

For me, I am more pedantic now than I was a few years ago. Esp that now I am forking out $$$$ for a jacket.
Craftsmanship, quality and attention to detail have become paramount.
I am slowly moving more towards jackets that, for me, may be easier to wear on a daily basis. I am discovering its easier wearing jackets with inset sleeves, no collar stands and lower necks, like the Monarch and Stars… Even though I love the RW patterns.
I will save and save and give you $1000 for a jacket because I really love the idea of a classic WW2 A-2 and all that implies, but then I expect to get something worth $1000.
(please, no loose stitching, one arm longer than the other, a collar skew and dropping off to one side, random measurements and strange leather unlike what was ordered…)

This may sounds weird, but I don't want to have a closet full of A-2s. One will do, perhaps two, but to find that one...
So, besides finding a good, wearable and well-fitted original, whats a jacket-nut to do?

I have a GW on order, well over a year to go, lots of time to save, lots of time to nail down a contract.
In the mean time I may like to try a BK. Reviews seem on the whole, positive, just not definitive ;) Some guys rave about their jackets, others… don't.
Then theres the temptation to try ELC's Werber… Unique. It really looks the part.
And… Aerial Star's civilian A-2 jackets, nowhere near the authenticity, but at half the price of the others… And the samples look good!
But to take the chance on any of these and possibly loose $ on resale? or simply be patient and wait for the GW, which may, or may not meet expectations? Mmmm, did someone say, 'Who dares wins…' ;)
Yes, I am sure I will try at least one of the above...

Any of the above jackets may prove to be a keeper and the buck stops there. One never knows,
And so the adventures (and the questions) continue…

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
NOT Aviation Leathercraft. :)
:thumb: +1 (probably +100 lol)

For those that like a good beat up looking jacket with bags of patina, would you consider wearing a £600-$1000 jacket to work on the car or bike and get it dirty? Go to work everyday in the thing and not worry too much if the knits got snagged after a year or so?
I'm not talking 'faking' patina here to try to make the jacket look old, just wearing it as a day to day wearer like i have with most of my jackets. Those I like to keep for going out in such as my Barnstormer and new Teamster get a little more respect, but if I am wearing a Highwayman down the pub and I absentmindedly rest my arm in spilt beer do I fret?
But of course it is your jacket to treat how you wish.

Stand By

One Too Many
Okay, so I said what I wouldn't have...

What I would ideally have is, of course, a GoodWear - judging solely from everything I've seen and read here. You get what you pay for, and to me, it's more than a clear win by a horse length over the rest of the pack - it's not a photo-finish by any means IMO.
But meanwhile, back in the real world, I know that if I spent that kind of dough on a jacket, my girlfriend would put the bread knife in me - and it'd be a real shame to bleed all over a jacket like that. You'd never get it all out...

So having seen Alec0226's ELC Werber this week, I can honestly say that that's what I'd go for. Alec's thread had me look at it again in a whole new light. I love the colours of the light brown knit with the lighter shade of hide - they're sufficiently different from my seal brown Aero ANJ-3 that I could justify the jacket for the different look I'd like (of course, justifying it to my girlfriend ... well, we know the reality. Let's leave the fantasy alone, eh?!) - and that Hookless zip is fantastic. I like the cut of the pocket flaps too (it's so odd how some appeal to me and most others definitely don't). I think it's a complete winner ... and the price is more condusive to what I could afford to spend these days. In my single days, the GW would be no problem ... but not today.

And I suppose that it boils down to me asking myself if the extra quality of the GW is worth so many more hundreds of dollars over a beautiful jacket like the ELC Werber ? Not to me. That ELC Werber would have me feeling more than content - I'd feel like a million bucks in it ($US - not Turkish!).

Last edited:

Bobajobbob

New in Town
I've been looking for a good A2 for a few years now and when I saw this Aero Steve McQueen (http://www.thekingofcool.com/clothing/the-great-escape-captain-hilts-a2-leather-jacket.html) offering I thought it was just the right side of retro without being naff. I'd rather not have the VHILTS name badge but the jacket otherwise looked great.

A word of warning I tried two of these in a 42 and a 44 and both were too small. The A2 has always been a short jacket but should sit just over the belt and top of your trousers in my view. With the Aero jacket above even the 44 was too short.

To clarify I would normally wear a 40-42 suit jacket. I'm 6 foot and pretty well built but generally wear very standard sizes. Either I have a long torso or these jackets are being cut extremely short to the point where it just looked silly on me. I'm sure I could ask aero to custom make one longer for me but I just don't have the confidence now that it would fit. Shame.

CBI

One Too Many
the ELC Werber is only $300 less than a GW, not that huge of a price difference IMO to go with Eastman (the ELC is a nice jacket). A said above, get it right the first time. However, to each his own.........

fathergoose

New in Town
I would buy an A2 on probably reasons others may find laughable.
1/ First it must follow the original patten and details should be reasonably accurate.(pretty obvious really)
2/ The shape of the jacket and details would have to look good to the eye. (First impressions are everything)
3/ A quality made garment made from quality materials. (If I'm paying decent money..........)
4/ Possibly the most important, I must look good wearing it.

I'm not really into posing around as in reenacting, I am more the 'get under the car' in the jacket type, or walk around with a bottle of beer stuffed in the pocket. My old Aero Battersea jacket did these things perfectly as well as kept girlfriends warm while I shivered on a frosty November day.

I do discount Mall jackets from my criteria but the most expensive accurate replica is a non starter if I look s**t wearing it.

One maker I do not like though are probably well made are the modern Coopers froma few years back. Awful pocket flap shape! i saw that but did not bother to look at the other details.
Johnny Tee

I agree! Across the street from our building, I found an old Avirex, distressed but unworn, size 44. Cost whatever I had in my pockets at the time. I had to sleep in it a few nights to get to the point where I could actually lift my arms above my head, but it fits like a forties jacket. And if I ever to fly a P-51 on a suicide mission over The Slot, that's my go to jacket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24