Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 reproductions

Azegami

New in Town
Hi. I am planning to purchase an A-2 jacket. I had my mind set on GW, however, I have not had a response from them. Also I have read somewhere that John Chapman is not taking any new orders at present. Is this true?? If thats the case, I am planning to go for ELC. I am quite interested in:
- Cable raincoat
- Star sportswear
- Werber
I just wanted some opinion regarding these jackets. I have seen GW website and their Star sportswear appear lighter in shade than ELC. An original I have seen in a photo seems to be more similar to GW reproduction.
Out of the ELC jackets, which one do you guys think is most accurate reproduction? Thanks!!

chamboid

One of the Regulars
I would go with Bill Kelso serisouly, I was very impressed with his A-2 Roughwear he built for me, amazing leather, eveything spot on perfect fit, the guy knows what he is doing, and the leather,, to me just feels better then that of Eastman. I have a few Eastman jackets, but no A-2 by them,( haven't liked the feel or weight when i've handled them.) I've maily got sheepskins and a G-1 which is great but the fit is off on it.

Took a chance on Bill Kelso and couldn't be happier, I'm gonna be going back to him for sure.

from order to delivery it took abuot 4 weeks. I live in the UK so that was only a short ship. his communication was excellent, and he sent me pictures when the jacket was finished and ready to ship.

I asked him to send me some leather strips for the zipper pull which he did happily for me.

Hope this helps rather than confuses things for you.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I know John is up to his ears with a full order book (12-15 months at last count) so it wouldn't surprise me if had stopped taking orders for a while. He has done this in the past.
A second hand GW (plenty of 46s around) might be a quick way in during the interim.
If you're going for an ELC, why not consider an A-1? It's their best reproduction IMHO.

JanSolo

Practically Family
What fit are you after and what are your personal measurements? Some Eastman contracts can be quite roomy and loose fitting. Don't be intrigued by the pictures on their site. I would ask Rob at Eastman for some measurements of various A-2s in your size. There can be quite a difference between a Roughwear and a Cable or their A-2 slender.
Bill Kelso really is a brand to consider. Very well made, authentic looking jackets with good leather and carefully selected other components.

Azegami

New in Town
Thanks guys. I own an ELC rough wear 27752 in 38. It fits me well around the chest, however I find the arm opening abit tight.
I like the A-1 and I bought one from Aero a few years ago but I wasn't particularly fond of it. I am actually in the process of selling it back to Aero.I am looking at Bill Kelso website and I am tempted to place an order now!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I don't want to re-initiate the ELC vs. Aero A-1 comparison as it went downhill, but I am a strong advocate of the GW, ELC and SFA A-1 patterns, but the Aero A-1isn't in the same league for my money.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I own an ELC rough wear 27752 in 38. It fits me well around the chest, however I find the arm opening abit tight.
I like the A-1 and I bought one from Aero a few years ago but I wasn't particularly fond of it. I am actually in the process of selling it back to Aero.I am looking at Bill Kelso website and I am tempted to place an order now!

What was the problem with the Aero? What sort was it?

From my experiences with BK....be sure to double check with them about their sizing...and get samples of their leather if placing a BK order.
Also....be patient. At least as of last fall/summer, the standard reply from BK when an order was placed was "delivery in 2 to 3 weeks". This often seemed to end up being 3-4 months.
Another option for an A1....if you don't want the wait and cost of a Goodwear...is Mark Fisher....aka "Superior Flight Apparel";

http://superiorjackets.com/

I own several Goodwears, Aeros, ELC's...in addition to Vanson, Langlitz, Gibson and Barnes.
I received an A1 from Mark a few months ago that is one of my favorite jackets.
Custom made to fit (unlike ELC)....fit spot on (something I had a problem with with BK and Aero military jackets).
Mark and John Chapman (Goodwear) use the same leathers so great leather (something I was disappointed with on my BK and Aero military jackets).
Mark is fantastic to deal with, great communicator...and priced a bit less than BK if I am not mistaken.

Shortly after receiving my A1 from Mark I placed an order for another jacket.

Last edited:

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I haven't heard anything about GW suspending taking orders again, and I'm surprised you didn't get a response from them. Vickie is usually very prompt at returning emails, I have had several correspondences with her over the last few weeks. As others have said, they are over a year for delivery at the moment, but if you want the best, well, there is really no comparison. You will find a decent selection of GW's on ebay, lots of people buy them, then sell them on to fund their next one, it's a bit of an addiction. I'm obviously a bit bias, my closest has a few GW's hanging in it.

Brian

...I am looking at Bill Kelso website and I am tempted to place an order now!

BTW, is BK even offering an A1? I don't see it on their web site. I know they have been asking questions about the design over at the Vintage Leather Forum. I get the impression they are not ready to go into production with that model yet.
Also.....a large part of the A1 design is the use of Cape skin. Nothing else I've come across drapes like Cape skin and has the same durability.
Good Capeskin seems to be difficult to obtain these days. Having experienced some of the issues BK has had with their hides I'd wonder if they had a good source of it for an A1 design.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, assuming the pattern works the selection of the cape is the crux of it (for the drape). ELC has the best source of it at the moment IMHO in the A-1 market (although the LVC Menlo/Cossack that I've seen is very good indeed using Italian sheepskin). The GW/SFA cape is a good hide, and it'll wear/weather well.
However, neither are a perfect match for the slightly thicker, mismatched grain that you see on original A-1 jackets.
Habitual wearers of heavy horsehide will find cape a bit disconcerting as it can be much thinner and is naturally less resilient (although perfectly durable for normal daily wear).

Azegami

New in Town
Yeah Vickie replied last night! Just sent my measurements to John via Vickie so I will wait for him to suggest the jacket type and size. I don't see any GW A-2s on ebay. How do you do the search? Just 'Goodwear A-2 jacket'?.
S

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Here's one (two available from Jeff, this seller):

A-2 A2 Flight Jacket Goodwear Dubow 7155 Size 46

Item #: 330861539239

N.B. he mistyped the contract (1755).

Yeah Vickie replied last night! Just sent my measurements to John via Vickie so I will wait for him to suggest the jacket type and size. I don't see any GW A-2s on ebay. How do you do the search? Just 'Goodwear A-2 jacket'?.
S

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330860772620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330861539239?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Also, John has one listed on the GW "Sale" page;

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_rw_0005.html

And there is one listed over in the Vintage Leather Jacket Forum's "Buy/Sell" section;

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14199

(You need to sign up on the forum to view posts there.)
Most of my Goodwears I've purchased used over at the VLJ forum.
For eBay search, I generally use "Goodwear A2".

Last edited:
Modern repros? Tend to be less commonly available. Larger sizes predominate.
Vintage? Just the opposite.

In the case of GW, John will often make a jacket for himself either as a test run of for keeps...then decide to sell it on his "For sale" page. He runs around a size 44 to 46.
There seems to be a group of GW fans out there who are similarly sized.......and often put up used GW's for sale.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Modern repros? Tend to be less commonly available. Larger sizes predominate.
Vintage? Just the opposite.

In the case of GW, John will often make a jacket for himself either as a test run of for keeps...then decide to sell it on his "For sale" page. He runs around a size 44 to 46.
There seems to be a group of GW fans out there who are similarly sized.......and often put up used GW's for sale.

Aha! That explains a lot. Thanks for that, Jeff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails