Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 sizing

michael.jtf

New in Town
Hi,

This 's my 1st post on this forum.
I am 5'8 in height and 137lb in weight. my chest measurement is 35/36(exhaled/inhaled), waist measurement is 30".

I am about to buy a A-2, I queried some A-2 makers and check the size chart from some Jappaness saller, an A-2 with size 36R is right size for me. most of them told me the pit-pit measurement for a 36 A-2 is 20inch to 20 1/4 inch.

But, I like Aero's 38-1711-P and 40-3785-P partern, and emailed them for the size inquery, Amanda advised me the right size is 38, and the pit-pit for 36 and 38 are 19inch and 20.5inch.

My question is, is Aero's A-2 measuring one inch smaller than other brand?

kojax

Practically Family
my farther is about your size he is going with a 36 gibson barnes a2 horsehide jacket the company told him the 38 would be baggy on him .

bentusian

One of the Regulars
Japanese made A-2s tend to fit better for asians, as far as I can tell.

In terms of chest size it looks like you're good to go with either 36 or 38, but 38 may have the right length for your height. And with 38 you can have some room to layer a sweatshirt under the jacket.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Welcome to TFL, Michael. Since you have personally spoken with a mfr's representative you should be OK with her suggestion. Just keep in mind that if you expand into buying other brands there will be a great variety of size differences. It is crucial to see the specs(or preferably try on the jacket) before making that important purchase. Please post photos when you have your jacket.

michael.jtf

New in Town
Thank you guys.
Yes, I known a Jappaness A-2 fits better for asians, but the price is out of my buget.
I live in the south of China, the weather here is very worm in winter, Just a T-shirt under an A-2 is enough, so the extra room for a sweeter is not necissary.
Pardon me for my inaccurate English since it not my language, And hope here are many people can teach me by pointing out my incorrect grammar.:Dlol

Michael

Republic_Flier

Familiar Face
I'm about 5'9" 135 lbs and have been thinking about purchasing a Cockpit USA 21st century current issue A2 even though I know I'll get bashed by nearly everyone on the forums. Would a size 36 sound about right with such a baggy fit? I'm hoping to be able to visit the store sometime this winter. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
My 38-1711-P has just arrived. It is a size 38. For your reference, I am a true size 39, while my 40 Eastman has room for a thick Denim shirt in there, I can only wear a T-shirt inside the size 38 Aero. The nicest thing is that the leather of this almost like new Aero is very supple, so even though it is a very very tight fit on me, I still manage to move my arms easily. But just a word of caution, the 38-1711-P has very slim cutting, i.e. narrow shoulders, slim armpits and sleeves, it is quite different from the 1942 cut.

Thank you guys.
Yes, I known a Jappaness A-2 fits better for asians, but the price is out of my buget.
I live in the south of China, the weather here is very worm in winter, Just a T-shirt under an A-2 is enough, so the extra room for a sweeter is not necissary.
Pardon me for my inaccurate English since it not my language, And hope here are many people can teach me by pointing out my incorrect grammar.:Dlol

Michael

Papa M

A-List Customer
Pardon me for my inaccurate English since it not my language....

Don't worry Michael. We understand and are happy to have you here on the forum.

My only message is that if you end up buying anything Japanese be sure to check the sizing first. It varies from brand to brand but they are all cut quite small. I buy many Japanese items marked Large - and they turn out to be what we (in UK and USA) call Medium.

God knows how those Japanese Sumo wrestlers find any clothes to fit them.

michael.jtf

New in Town
Don't worry Michael. We understand and are happy to have you here on the forum.

My only message is that if you end up buying anything Japanese be sure to check the sizing first. It varies from brand to brand but they are all cut quite small. I buy many Japanese items marked Large - and they turn out to be what we (in UK and USA) call Medium.

God knows how those Japanese Sumo wrestlers find any clothes to fit them.
Thanks Papa M, I ordered a Aero A-2.

My 38-1711-P has just arrived. It is a size 38. For your reference, I am a true size 39, while my 40 Eastman has room for a thick Denim shirt in there, I can only wear a T-shirt inside the size 38 Aero. The nicest thing is that the leather of this almost like new Aero is very supple, so even though it is a very very tight fit on me, I still manage to move my arms easily. But just a word of caution, the 38-1711-P has very slim cutting, i.e. narrow shoulders, slim armpits and sleeves, it is quite different from the 1942 cut.

Thanks, I am a true size 36, 5'8" , 135lbs, After place the order, Amanda strongly advised me the size of 38, if you are the true size 39 and 38 Aero fits you, I'm afraid it's too big for me, but in Amanda's email, the Aero 38 A-2 measurements are:
Armpit to armpit – 20”
Sleeve length – 24”
Back length – 24”
Shoulders – 17.5”
If above measurements are correct, I don't think it's 38 but 36. Now I cannot help me from guessing if it's possible that Aero is in lack of the 36 size tag label, they will make a 36 sized A-2 but labled 38 for me?:( if not in this case, this A-2 will be oversized on me

michael.jtf

New in Town
Thanks Papa M, I ordered a Aero A-2.

Thanks, I am a true size 36, 5'8" , 135lbs, After place the order, Amanda strongly advised me the size of 38, if you are the true size 39 and 38 Aero fits you, I'm afraid it's too big for me, but in Amanda's email, the Aero 38 A-2 measurements are:
Armpit to armpit – 20”
Sleeve length – 24”
Back length – 24”
Shoulders – 17.5”
If above measurements are correct, I don't think it's 38 but 36. Now I cannot help me from guessing if it's possible that Aero is in lack of the 36 size tag label, they will make a 36 sized A-2 but labled 38 for me?:( if not in this case, this A-2 will be oversized on me

Amanda, if you are in this forum, please kindly clarify why size 38 fits guys with ture 39 and 36?
thanks.

Dav

One Too Many
I've never heard mention of Amanda being a member of the FL, but why not contact her with the above measurements/ concerns and tell her how tight/loose you would like it to be I'm sure she can sort it out.

Edward

Bartender
It may be that that particular pattern is a significantly neater fit than some others; there was a fair degree of variance in fit across different A2 contracts. Also, I'm not sure how exactly Aero size their A2s. Eastman, in my experience, allow for modern notions of sizing - my ELC A2 is a size 42; in a Goodwear (sized as per the original dimensions), I would need a 44 for the same trim (but not too tight) fit. You can trust Amanda on the sizing - she is extremely knowledgeable about the entire Aero range, and has advised me on several of my Aeros without ever steering me wrong.

Edited to add: I don't believe any of the Aero Scotland crew are on the FL (just Will from Aero America), but Amanda is always very quick to respond via email.

kojax

Practically Family
this is a real mccoy a2 jacket size 38 shoulder length 17 inches armpit to armpit 19.5 back length 24.5 sleeve length 24.5 chest size 19.5 i just got my farther a a2 jacket from gibson barnes horsehide size 36 he is 5/6 130 pounds jacket fits well

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Let me try to measure my Aero size 38 tonight, also the Eastman 40 as well. See if that helps. I will also try to take a few snap shots.

But I must say that my Aero 38-1711 size 38 has got what you guys call it "fit as a shirt" kind of feel.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Thanks a Lot!

Ok, I have just made the measurements laying the Aero jacket flat, really flat. From the front, armpit to armpit is 20.5", shoulder to end of wool cuff is 25"; the waist, just under the pockets and about the wool knit, is 18"; now measuring from the back, from the top of the collar to the bottom of the waist knit, 26.5"; shoulder to shoulder is 17".

Now it's the Eastman size 40. From the front, armpit to armpit is 21.5", shoulder to end of wool cuff is 25"; the waist, just under the pockets and about the wool knit, is 19.5"; now measuring from the back, from the top of the collar to the bottom of the waist knit, 26.5"; shoulder to shoulder is 18".

In terms of the length of the jacket (and the sleeves), they are pretty much the same, the significant difference is actually on the shoulder. But since Aero's jackets are almost custom made, I guess it would be safe to follow Amanda's suggestion with slight adjustments. They make plenty of jackets for the Japanese, I am sure they know what sizes fit best for you .... well, not exactly politically correct to make this comparison at the moment :eusa_doh:, but you know what I mean.

You can clearly see from the pic that the cutting of the Aero is very different from Eastman, even though the Aero is a size 38 (left) while the Eastman is size 40 (right).

AerovsEastmancutting.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
While I was in SAC in the mid-80's the USAF started issuing the A-2 again. This is a very form-fitting jacket, or at least that's how they wanted it worn. I still have mine and it is like wearing a leather shirt. If you could raise your arms over your head and the sleeves didn't ride up, it was too big.

SAC didn't want a sloppy look when these jackets were worn, and that was mostly when you were flying transport catagory aircraft and sometimes while you were wearing your blues. Nomex was still the standard for F/A/B catagory aircraft. I believe it still is.

I'm not sure what the regs are currently for correct wear of the A-2 as I've been gone for 20+ years. If it doesn't conform to regs I wouldn't wear it, but civilians have the choice to wear it any way they like.

michael.jtf

New in Town
.... well, not exactly politically correct to make this comparison at the moment :eusa_doh:, but you know what I mean.

You can clearly see from the pic that the cutting of the Aero is very different from Eastman, even though the Aero is a size 38 (left) while the Eastman is size 40 (right).

Yeah, I love the quality of the Japaness A-2s, especially the brand THE FEW, but the price is too high to me. Japaness jeans are also with high quality, I have some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot