Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Wannabee Jackets

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Being a college student and tight on money I'm not able to purchase some of the nicer jackets I've seen on this forum...yet.

But for now I'll settle for 'wannabee' jackets; cheaper 'wrong' jackets most people couldn't tell from authentic A-2s.
I've had a very baggy modern "A-2" for 6 years now and liked it, though, like everything today it was just too baggy.
So today I bought these two jackets for $.50 each at a garage sale. They're not perfect but at least they are not as baggy, they look nice and they were cheap.

This is the nicer of the two. It has no weathering or 'finish' if you want to call it that. What can I apply to the leather to darken it a bit and protect it?
It is well fitted to my body; in this department it rivals some of the more authentic jackets I've seen and I love the better fit compared to my other baggy jacket.
DSCF1146.jpg

This next one is weathered a bit and has much character. The band along the bottom is stretched but does not take away from the charm of the jacket. Because of this I'd like to add some nose art on the back. I've looked around on the internet and haven't found anything I'm interested in putting on the jacket, do any of you have book/website suggestions as to where to look for nose art? I'm looking for nose art that isn't so revealing. :D
DSCF1140.jpg

Any help from the jacket gurus here is much appreciated.

atkins

Familiar Face
I think Maj. Nick Danger and SPAD....

Hi Thunderw21, i think major nick danger and SPAD have the skill to help you with the nose art.

Regards,
Atkins

Jovan

Suspended
I thought the first one was fabric! Guess it's just the photo. Say... an A2 in canvas or something would be kind of cool.

Anyways, I think you did very well for those prices. Some people poo-poo my pea coat for not being authentic, but it works fine and looks fine to me. The same is probably true of your purchases.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
I've looked around on the internet and haven't found anything I'm interested in putting on the jacket, do any of you have book/website suggestions as to where to look for nose art? I'm looking for nose art that isn't so revealing. :D

Any help from the jacket gurus here is much appreciated.

Just saw this so I could suggest just maybe your favorite aircraft on the back as your nose art as that was done often. Sometimes just a small unit insignia or whatever you fancy on the front above one of the pockets was also fairly common, and a bit more subtle than painting the whole back.
I prefer to design my own nose art using some of the pin ups of the time and other elements such as the army air force wing and star logo, and of course a cheeky slogan. :D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Update:
I took up the task of painting one of my A-2's. I was nearly complete in August but school started back up and got in the way so I wasn't able to finish it. I will most likely finish painting during Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I'd like to post a couple pictures of the front. This is the 56th FG unit patch. I painted it directly onto the jacket since I did not have an extra piece of leather to make a real patch to sew onto the front. But this is an inaccurate starter jacket with a first-time paint job so it doesn't really matter. Just as long as it looks good.

DSCF1168.jpg

DSCF1169-1.jpg

So far I'm happy with the results. I don't have a pic of the back but I'm nearly complete. I have a P-47 in the colors of the 56th FG with the name "Highwayman" above it. The painted areas themselves are very flexible with no flaking since the paint soaked into the leather.

Mr. Nick Danger was great help throughout the process and I'd like to thank him. :)

Edward

Bartender
Looks good! :) Not bad looking jackets either..... and as you obviously think too, because they didn't cost much, ideal for experimenting on. I'd be terrified of having a go at paint on a $600 jacket for a first try! lol

Weston

A-List Customer
Looks wonderful! Please show the back soon. I'd love to try my hand at this, and I'd like to see your efforts.

Ben

One of the Regulars
I hadn't seen this before, but to darken the leather on the first one, you might want to try applying some mink oil. It can usually be found near the shoe polish in ddrug stores. Not only will it likely darken the leather a bit, but it will also help to keep it supple.

As for the backs, maybe you could find a blood chit and copy that.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Update:
I took up the task of painting one of my A-2's. I was nearly complete in August but school started back up and got in the way so I wasn't able to finish it. I will most likely finish painting during Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I'd like to post a couple pictures of the front. This is the 56th FG unit patch. I painted it directly onto the jacket since I did not have an extra piece of leather to make a real patch to sew onto the front. But this is an inaccurate starter jacket with a first-time paint job so it doesn't really matter. Just as long as it looks good.

DSCF1169-1.jpg

So far I'm happy with the results. I don't have a pic of the back but I'm nearly complete. I have a P-47 in the colors of the 56th FG with the name "Highwayman" above it. The painted areas themselves are very flexible with no flaking since the paint soaked into the leather.

Mr. Nick Danger was great help throughout the process and I'd like to thank him. :)

You're welcome, thanks for the plug. :) Looks great so far, can't wait to see the back.:eusa_clap
The logo painted directly on the front was sometimes done in lieu of a patch, and is perfectly alright. Sometimes only a name, a slogan, painted pilot's wings, or even a small pinup picture was done to just the front of an A2.
I'm itching to do another one here myself,...soon as I get a good jacket and some time.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here's more photos.

The completed front:
DSCF1293.jpg

The nearly completed back.
DSCF1292.jpg

The name is finished (the yellow is not nearly as bright as the pictures show it) and I have a few details to put on the plane, such as more insignia, panel lines and control surfaces.

I've thought about painting some 'sky' around the plane to add more color to the back. Opinions?
Also, I don't think I'm going to attempt to paint a propellor in motion. I'm not good enough to make it look right.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Dean!

Here it is complete with its happy owner. I added some red background to the yellow name to liven it up a bit and painted in some details before putting on a single coat of finish, which makes it appear a bit glossy.
Overall, I'm happy with it. I wore it antiquing today and got a few interested glances.

DSCF1305.jpg

DSCF1306.jpg

Thanks again to Mr. NickDanger for teaching me the process. :fedora:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner