Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A cool, classic knife

Mycroft

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Well Mycroft- just as it looks my good Man- easy as pie and twice as fast.
I drilled a hole in the handle, strung a piece of leather thong through- took the two ends and tied a knot- shame I didn't make a neater job of the hole...
If you put the thong through your belt keeper and pass the knife through the loop, it makes a dandy lanyard- long enough to get it hanging in yer pocket is good. Nice to not lose things...

I can't get over how cheap these little beauties are- maybe I'll buy one with a larger blade soon-
B
T

Thanks, I figured as much, but how did you figure out where it would not interfere with the blade and just go through the wood. By the way, it still looks great.

JDCrockett

New in Town
Feltfan, Try a Chive!

Hey Feltfan have you seen the Ken Onion "Chive"? Seems to fit some of your
criteria, my son has one and it's a cool little knife. It has a saftey lock to keep it from opening in your pocket but that sort of defeats the speed factor of the torsion assisted opening. If I remember it also comes with a belt clip,
which can be removed. We bought his at Dick's Sporting Goods about 2 years ago, and it was available to try out in the display case. I've been considering
the "Leek" model myself,a little larger knife.
Here's links to both from the same site that had your Queen knives,

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...w Chive&srch=waDESCRIPTIONdatarq=Kershaw Chiv

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...aw Leek&srch=waDESCRIPTIONdatarq=Kershaw Leek

Ken Onion makes some other assisted openers also marketed by Kershaw.

Blackjack

One Too Many
When I think of a vintage pocketknife I think of a canoe style with a bone or jigged handle like dear ol Gramps carried. http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CA5255
( Oh, how I wish I had some of his stuff today. Suits, razors, carpenters jeans ) but for historical significance and everyday carry I'd agree with the Opinel. I have a #8 in my pocket a LOT and I'm sure it's very close to the one that folks like Charlotte Grey used to cut the throat of many a Nazi not that very long ago.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Well here's my 2 cents...

With the exception of the two small knives I carry for close up magic, I want a knife that will be reliable in a "worst case scenario". Without getting in to a debate with regards to what a "worst case scenario" means to the reader, I want the smallest knife with the strongest blade and most bullet-proof construction possible. If that's what anyone else wants check out this website
http://www.ltspecpro.com/

Lion

New in Town
I never could get into tactical knives. I've tried a few over the years, but they just don't do it for me. They don't speak to me; no soul. The handles on a lot of them tend to be uncomfortable for me with prolonged use as well. I like to whittle and the ergonomic handles aren't very ergonomic in a lot of the grips I use. Slip-joints and vintage style lockbacks are still my favorites. Opinels are great too. I have a spear point #8 that I love.

Multitools are handy as well. And even though most aren't very vintage looking, the idea is very vintage. Multitools were quite popular pre WWII. Despite what the Leatherman marketing team will tell you, Tim Leatherman did NOT invent the idea. I've seen pictures of a couple scissors bassed multitools from the 30s that looked a lot like a Micra; only MUCh prettier.

Leo

varga49

One of the Regulars
I can appreciate your argument

Lion said:
I never could get into tactical knives. I've tried a few over the years, but they just don't do it for me. They don't speak to me; no soul. The handles on a lot of them tend to be uncomfortable for me with prolonged use as well. I like to whittle and the ergonomic handles aren't very ergonomic in a lot of the grips I use. Slip-joints and vintage style lockbacks are still my favorites. Opinels are great too. I have a spear point #8 that I love. Leo
I happen to own a lot of knives and I find that it depends on the job or anticipation of the job, which knife I carry. I had a knife custom made for me in 1978 by David Boye. It's a small fixed blade drop point made from a recycled saw mill blade. I've done about everythig with that knife from dressing out wild game to slicing vegetables. It even stayed with me during a high speed motorcycle wreck. It's also pretty handy for popping a bottle top off of a long neck. Lately I've been using my old military issue TL-29 (cammilus cutlery) folding blade. I was lucky enough to find one with a wooden handle. When I was in the Navy all you got issued from the tool crib was the plastic handle variety. Like my Boye fixed blade this old wooden handled TL-29 has plenty of soul.

shamus

Suspended
A nice little handy, do everything knife that's comfortable is an A.G. Russell Sting. Barley know it's there.

As to the doomsday knife, I like the Black Jack 2000 ( or something with 2000 in it) A gerber mark 1 or 2, and gerber also made a nice applegate folder a few years back.

I like folders, but only if lockbacks. I've had a few fold back on me while in use.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
I used to work in an old sporting good store...It was mainly a hook and bullet shop and we carried knives from most of the big name makers in business. I really love knives and have collected them since a young kid. I have a nice Randall #5 that I ordered when I was 13 and received when I was 16. It was a three year wait back then for a custom Randall. I have had folding knives by Benchmade, Kershaw, CRKT, Buck, Case, Gerber, Boker, Schrade, Uncle Henry, Cold Steel, SOG and the list goes on. Lately I have been going back to the classic slip joint knives like my grandfather would carry. In fact, I have one of my grandfathers old Case knives that the main blade has been sharpened so many times it is almost like a toothpick.
I bought a Case knife on ebay last week that I think looks pretty cool. Here is a pic: http://www.casexx.com/5140res.jpg
It has a classic look to it and I really like the swing guard, which Case decided to reintroduce after about twenty years of discontinuing the pattern.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JDCrockett said:
Hey Feltfan have you seen the Ken Onion "Chive"? Seems to fit some of your
criteria.

Thanks for the thought. It's just too modern looking.
So far I haven't found one with modern function and
vintage look... But this thread has been an education.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Blackgrass said:
I bought a Case knife on ebay last week that I think looks pretty cool. Here is a pic: http://www.casexx.com/5140res.jpg
It has a classic look to it and I really like the swing guard, which Case decided to reintroduce after about twenty years of discontinuing the pattern.

I have an original Case 6111 swing-guard that I use as an EDC, I bought it quite a few years ago, and I believe mine was made in the 1970's.
Also, I have a celluloid handle Case bowtie that I alternate occasionally, I wish that one had a lockback though.

I used to collect some of the old 50's Italian picklock stilletto's before the prices went crazy.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Absinthe_1900 said:
I have an original Case 6111 swing-guard that I use as an EDC, I bought it quite a few years ago, and I believe mine was made in the 1970's.
Also, I have a celluloid handle Case bowtie that I alternate occasionally, I wish that one had a lockback though.

I used to collect some of the old 50's Italian picklock stilletto's before the prices went crazy.

The one I ordered is the smaller version of that knife. Do you find the larger knife carries well? It is made out of the stainless steel?
Thanks,
Ben

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I've carried mine for a longtime with no problem, it's not very bulky.
Mine is made from the older non-stainless steel, and it holds a really sharp edge, all in all it's my favorite Case knife pattern.

I obtained it from a knife shop that was closing several years ago, it was part of a backwall display of every (then) current Case knife, it took a lot of talking to get the guy to break up the display.

Prof. Ed

New in Town
feltfan said:
What do you guys recommend in a pocket (or "jack") knife?
I'm looking at "assisted openers" which is, I suppose, as fast
a draw as you can get when switchblades are not legal.

What I want in the knife is:

- safe to put in my pocket
- looks good (I don't like these plastic or cut-away light weight jobs)
- quality blade
- locking blade
- fast to draw
- not terribly expensive

I don't need bells and whistles- I have Swiss Army knives.
Just a single, not particularly long, quality blade.

The best assisted openers, I believe, are the "Onion" series by Kershaw.

They come in all sizes, depending on what you need.

I have three sizes, myself.

Best regards,

Prof. Ed

Lion

New in Town
AlanC said:
For some cool vintage looking knives, including Opinel, take a look here:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/

I've not ordered from him yet, but I intend to soon. He's got some cool stuff. I particularly want an Okapi in addition to an Opinel.

Ragnar (owner of ragweed forge) is a great guy. I've ordered from him a number of times and never had any problems. He's also been mentioned numerous times on diferent knife boards and I've never seen anyone who's had a problem with him. You can find some of the knives on his site cheaper (not by much though), but you wont find better service anywhere.

Leo

Magus

Practically Family
If you really want a Golden Era Knife...

feltfan said:
Thanks for the thought. It's just too modern looking.
So far I haven't found one with modern function and
vintage look... But this thread has been an education.

Hi all....IF you are looking for a knife that is truly "Golden Era" (they are still made the same way they were in 1927), reliable, replaceable , sharp (you can shave with it), is not a locking blade but has a very stiff mainspring, and has a great lineage (some areas of the world use its name for the word ?¢‚Ǩ?ìknife?¢‚Ǩ? in their language) then go NO FURTHER than the Douk Douk.

I discovered them 8 years ago on a trip to France. I planned on buying a knife as a memento and went to a cutlery shop in Paris. I saw a few in the window and ended up buying one. The gentleman told me ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThere is no other knife like it?¢‚Ǩ?. Not really knowing what I was getting, but liking the fact that I only paid $6 for it I bought one. When I came home I looked it up on the net and found that I had stepped into a bit of history. It has taken a beating over the years but still sharpens to a dangerous level and works every time?¢‚Ǩ¬¶all the time.

On the net you will pay a premium ($25 or so) and I have yet to find one in a shop in the states but, if you are in France, walk into any sporting goods shop, ask for a Douk Douk and the salesman will most likely pull out a box with a pile of them in it and tell you to take your pick. We were there last year and I bought a half dozen as gifts, my mother was with us and liked it so much that she bought a mini to carry in her purse.

Now please don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t think that I am discounting the other brands out there as I own my share of them ranging from the $6 Douk to an $800 custom made Corsican Vendetta Knife. By the way those Vendetta?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s have a great shape and feel in the hand as well?¢‚Ǩ¬¶so if you want to spend a bit more?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

But after reading through the thread and seeing your comments?¢‚Ǩ¬¶I just have to suggest the Douk Douk.

You can see a bit of history on one here:

http://www.covecutlery.com/item.cfm?ItemsID=323

Cold Steel for me.

feltfan said:
Bandit thing? Thumb stud? Any experience- do they really open with one hand? Thanks.
I have used the Bandit thing on a Buck folder, and it worked well. These days many knives are coming with thumb studs for ease of opening. I personally prefer Cold Steel but many Benchmade folders are nice. The list is long, there are many good knives these days. I like the US calvary catalog, and another I can't think of right now. BUT Cold Steel give a lot of value for the $.

In non folders I have a thing for EK knives.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
For a daily pocketknife, I can't do any better than this small, thin Victorinox classic:

002-7482034-1928815

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy