Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of Homburg questions

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
I would like to get a Homburg to go with a navy pinstripe suit but I don't want to break the bank. What are my options? I'm looking at a Christy at the moment as it seems to be affordable. Are there other options?
I did some research and went through the homburg nation thread but most hats seem to be vintage.
Also, for a navy suit, I was thinking a light gray with possibly a gray ribbon as well, would that be a good fit or what would you rather recommend?
Although I know the light gray Christy has a black ribbon.

Lastly, there seems to be a couple of styles of homburgs. Some have the brim pretty flat in the front while others have the brim somewhat lower on the front. Since homburgs have more rigid brims, is the front curve built in in the brim meaning a different style of brim or is it styled by the owner b either pulling it down or rolling the sides more up?

I like it better when the brim is lower/curved in the front like these:

1930%20MW%20Fall-Win%20p246%20men%20hats,%20Homburg%201.jpg

1930mwfallwinp246menhat.jpg

rather than flat as a bowler like this:

gfhat1.jpg

I don't like it flat.

Thanks.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
What color are your shoes? If they're black shoes, I would get a black, navy or gray hat, although a brown hat with a black band could work because the band can "tie it together." Brown shoes, I would get a brown, tan or navy hat, although gray could work too because gray pretty much goes with everything.

This looks like a good deal on a new Homburg.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Shoes are black, suit is navy pinstriped.
I had looked at that link but they don't have a light gray hat.

I'm not really fond of black hats reason why I was thinking of going with gray. Just not sure if gray with a gray band is too fancy for a business suit.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
retrofashion said:
Shoes are black, suit is navy pinstriped.
I had looked at that link but they don't have a light gray hat.

I'm not really fond of black hats reason why I was thinking of going with gray. Just not sure if gray with a gray band is too fancy for a business suit.

Yeah, I knew they didn't have a gray one, but I wasn't sure if you were married to the idea of a light gray hat or not. I do think that light gray would be ideal for you. I don't know if a gray hat with a gray band is necessarily too "fancy" for a business suit, but I believe that a light gray hat with a black band would look "better."

Cordite Blues

New in Town
Homburgs

These hats are made by Biltmore of Canada (at least mine is). They have quite a selection of brim styles -- I bought a "Prince Albert" which has the wider, flatter brim that I was seeking. I did not buy one in the god-awful purple they show in their example, but it does let you see the shape of the hat. The "Deans" or "Elwood" might be be what you're looking for. Nice people I dealt with on the phone, re: questions, etc.

Cordite Blues

http://www.millerhats.com/homburg_index/homburgindex.html

Unless you'd rather not have a vintage hat, and/or would rather spare yourself the potential pitfalls of buying on eBay, I'd recommend going that route. Provided you aren't an unusually large size, I'd bet you could find any number of suitable homburgs there, and you'd likely end up with a better hat for less money than you'd get buying new. Homburgs still don't draw the level of interest fedoras do, generally, so they often go for a song.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I have a Biltmore homburg.

I don't like black fedoras, but do like black homburgs.

A hat shop can adjust the brim shape to your liking, or you can do it yourself if you are patient and careful.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Bird's One View said:
... or you can do it yourself if you are patient and careful.

I'm approaching age 50. I'm still impatient and reckless but I can't move as fast as I used to. Does that count?

Does anybody have any opinions, good or bad, about the Stacey Adams fur felt homburg?
I do not own a Stacey Adams hat but the ones I have seen I hold in very low esteem.....marginally above a costume hat. I agree with Red. There were two vintage Stetson St Regis on the Bay this week for $140 and $159. Both in excellent condition.

Ouch. That's unfortunate as any of the larger sizes bring a steep price increase with them when buying vintage. If you don't need the hat right away, keep an eye out for a good used one and you'll be happier than if you buy new. If you need one right away you should also look at Akubra. Personally, I don't care for the shape of the Akubra Homburg, but there's no denying that they are a bargain for a fur felt hat. That brings me to my last point: if you want a hat to wear as opposed to a costume hat, hold out for a fur felt hat. Skip the wool hats. I like wool hats for some applications, but a Homburg is a dress hat and it really needs the refinement that comes with fur felt.

As for used, I agree with what has been already stated and will add that you should keep an eye out for a Beaver Brand Homburg. The Beaver Brand is not as refined or as light as some, but it is a nicely shaped hat that is built for hard use.

Good luck and post photos of whatever you decide on. You should also visit the Homburg Nation thread here at the Lounge.

Musher

One of the Regulars
I do not need it right away and won't wear it much. I was thinking of the Dobbs or Akubra versions. I like the one that Al Pacino wore as Michael Corleone in the above posted photograph. Most of the newer ones look like they have a higher crown to me than his hat and I don't care for that. I won't be able to afford it for a while anyway but I want to get a good one when I can.

What color do you want? If you have the time, it will be well worth the wait and effort to seek out a vintage. I'm a size 62+, (7-3/4, XLO) and with ample time was able to find a black 1952 Stetson St Regis for my daughters' weddings. Of course, there are no guarantees of finding one as the numbers dwindle, but that's what I would try to do.

P.S. The Hommy was a hit, even in the jaded eyes of my most discerning daughter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo