Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of Homburg questions

Musher

One of the Regulars
s-l400 (1).jpg

I need some help. This is listed as a fedora but is it?

Musher

One of the Regulars
Ouch. That's unfortunate as any of the larger sizes bring a steep price increase with them when buying vintage. If you don't need the hat right away, keep an eye out for a good used one and you'll be happier than if you buy new. If you need one right away you should also look at Akubra. Personally, I don't care for the shape of the Akubra Homburg, but there's no denying that they are a bargain for a fur felt hat. That brings me to my last point: if you want a hat to wear as opposed to a costume hat, hold out for a fur felt hat. Skip the wool hats. I like wool hats for some applications, but a Homburg is a dress hat and it really needs the refinement that comes with fur felt.

As for used, I agree with what has been already stated and will add that you should keep an eye out for a Beaver Brand Homburg. The Beaver Brand is not as refined or as light as some, but it is a nicely shaped hat that is built for hard use.

Good luck and post photos of whatever you decide on. You should also visit the Homburg Nation thread here at the Lounge.

I found a Beaver Brand homburg on ebay today in my size. Thanks for the tip. It should be here in about a week. The posting claimed it was never worn.
s-l400 (3).jpg

I found a Beaver Brand homburg on ebay today in my size. Thanks for the tip. It should be here in about a week. The posting claimed it was never worn.
View attachment 91867

Outstanding! Make sue you post photos when it arrives.

I came very close to getting a black Stetson St Regis homburg a couple of days ago but the eBay gods are cruel and fickle. At least it went to another Lounger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo