Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A cranky moviegoer writes:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Okay, owned, I didn't define what I mean by a generation

I guess it would have to be defined by when an actor comes of age or comes to attention, depending on when and how they enter the craft/business.

My favourite period of films is not, actually the Golden Era, but the Golden Age of Film (in Hollywood and everywhere else, the late 60s through early 80s. That genration (those genrations?) gave us a number of really great actors, really great character actors and a few good stars... but the material was also much better. Do we judge Al Pacino on his work in the Godfather I and II or The Devil's Advocate? I mean seriously.

So I guess my argument is that the crap material leads to a lot of crap actors getting a lot of work... like those yukky Wilsons that got me so het up in the first place.The real issue was the idiocy of the promotion that CS.net thought was was worth posting.

Why don't we see see serious actors like Marlon Brando or Montgomery Clift anymore, just to name two? I guess it's because there is no real theatre in the US anymore; actors are trained at universities and colleges specifically in film acting and then enter film and television bypassing what was once the apprenticeship of work on stage. And there are no more Arthur Millers, Tenessee Williams or Eugene ONeills. Theatre as a serious art form in America is dead, and it dragged film as a serious artform into the grave with it. Even Sam Shepard and David Mamet have abandoned theatre more or less for film and television, which is where I think you can find the best writing and the best acting overall.

As far as the greats of the current crop, Gary Sinise has been mentioned. He started in theatre. There is an early video production of True West, the Sam Shepard play, in which he holds his own against John Malkovitch, something he fails to do in Of Mice and Men (because Malky decided to lunch on the scenery and grazed away). But I haven't seen anything else that I've particulalry liked him in. Not that I'm following his career, those CSI shows are goofy music videos that make Miami Vice look like Serpico, and why, seriosuly why, does he always look like he's just sniffed someone else's gas?

Gary Oldman, also a theatre background is a great actor, but has fallen in his alcoholic (and post alcoholic) years into playing cartoonish villains. Possibly just poor material.

Depp and Sean Penn are capable but often very mannered.

Aaron Eckart - also started in theatre - did some good stuff with Neil Labute, and he is often very very good, certainly charismatic.

Catherine Keener and Parker Posey are both, I think, much better than most of the movies they are in.

Jeff Daniels - another Steppenwolf alum, along with Sinise, William Hurt, etc. is a very good actor, I think one of the best now at work, but he had his start on stage in the 70s and in film in the early eighties. Can we say that someone who's been plugging away for 20+ years is the currrent generation?

Some actrors do get better with age. I mentioned Bruce Willis in that context in another thread, but Tom Cruise becomes more insipid, more robotic with every film. He's just awful.

And finally, yes, some good performances are created by the editors, some are ruined by the editors. The directors job is to dramaturge, to press the text to life by directing his/her actors. Too many actors are "stars", and they won't be told. Too many directors are more concerned with what's cool, where the green screen goes, how it will play as a PS@ game, or whatever.

Okay, my boy's home sick, and he's crying, gotta run.

I think I responded to most of your responses. Thanks for hearing me out and entering the discussion. I'd love to hear more.

Cheers

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I've always had a soft spot for Owen Wilson, but mostly for his pairing with Jackie Chan in Shangai Noon.

As for the top actors now...

-Don Cheadle (anyone ever see "Devil in a Blue Dress?")
-John Goodman (though he never sees good roles, or hasn't since "Barton Fink")
-John Malkovich (another case of wasted talent most of the time)
-Leonardo DiCaprio (I think he was getting quite good, "Gangs of NY," "Aviator," "Catch me.")
-John Leguizamo (I think this guy is amazing - he needs the role to prove it. Ever see his one-man-shows?)
-Pierce Brosnan (Now that bond is done, I think we'll see this guy hit some gold. "Tailor of Panama" was great.)
-Bruce Willis (He'll always be remembered, I think. Even his bad movies are watchable.)
-Mickey Rourke (This guy needs a comeback. "Barfly" plays in my mind all the time.)
-Josh Hartnett (Hasn't been good yet, but might soon. In James Ellroy's next book->movie adaptation.)
-Tim Roth (I just like this guy.)

Actresses? I really haven't the slightest clue, but I'd trust the following in most roles:Hilary Swank, Catherine McCormack, Jennifer Jason Leigh (Dorothy Parker), Jennifer Connelly, Kate Winslet.

I think Gary Oldman is a horrible over-actor.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Ok, good older actors:

Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Dustin Hoffman
Harrison Ford
Morgan Freeman
Clint Eastwood

middle aged actors:

Sean Penn
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
John Malkovich
Johnny Depp
Gary Sinese
Robert Downey, Jr.

Younger actors:

Matt Damon
Joaquin Phoenix
Leonardo DiCaprio
Bruce Willis

With few exceptions, none compare to the now-deceased British actors, who were so good they could completely disappear into a role. My favorite all-time actor was Sir Alec Guiness.

I think Eastwood is a better director than actor, same with Clooney and Redford. All the same, I like him when I see him in his films.

Wish Joaquin's brother had lived, I loved that kid's acting. Died so young, stupid drugs. River would only now be in his mid-30's. Robert Downey Jr. has much potential, hope he stays away from drugs, too.

Hard to believe Depp is now middle-aged. Boy, do I feel old!

karol

Hondo

One Too Many
Baggers said:
I nominate Gary Oldman, simply because he is the only actor I can think of working today who totally loses himself in a role. He never seems to be playing subtle variations on himself, he creates a completely different character each time. More than once my wife has had to remind me that he was the actor playing a particular role in a film we've just watched. The man has acting chops that I can only dream about having.

Cheers!

I'll have to give this some thought, but I'll add "Willem Dafoe" in the same sentence. Gary Oldman, Gary Sinise (Reindeer games) and Christopher Walken even if he tends play the same part, or character, still give me the willieslol

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'm very surprised that no one has yet mentioned this very talented younger actor: Matthew McConaughey.

Oops. See, I'd put him on the list of actors that got me started. Amistad came out in a very bad year for me, so I missed it, and a lot of other films, but in his other work, or what of I've seen of it, he is a preening mannequin. And what tripe he makes. Sahra was so bad it was laughable, and his non-stop romantic comedies must be helping him amass quite a collection of cars, or something. Yuk. He was once being pushed as the new Paul Newman, but the old Paul Newman made Exodus watchable. I'll admit, however, he was not bad in Lone Star, though it was a small role, and he was good enough in Dazed and Confused, so, what the heck, I'll take a look at Amistad. I've read good things about it. Is the movie generally very good?

I love Christopher Walken, a real screen presence. One weird cat.

Denzel Washington is the kind of actor I'm talking about. Every performance is strong, he''s even good when the movie around him is pure dross, like Fallen or Virtuosity.

Mickey Rourke is great, always was and always will be. Too bad he went woohoo, and too bad he now looks like Donatella Versace.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
I nominate Gary Oldman, simply because he is the only actor I can think of working today who totally loses himself in a role....
Cheers!

Not my first choice but now that you mention him, he's actually a name that will convince me to see a film.

Good choice Baggers- he's a Stalwart- a solid actor.

Here he is totally disappearing into a role- Sheldon Runyon in "The Contender" (2000).
contender1007.jpg

http://garyoldman.info/Movies/displayimage.php?album=13&pos=2

B
T

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While it ultimately may be true that tangible quality is below some arbitrary line I find something else a little weird. Everybody thinks they're Ebert & Roper and are compelled to intellectually dissect every flick they see and analyze it instead of just sitting back and taking it in. In that same vein critics reviews are often taken seriously by potential viewers and they steer away from some movies. I used to do that and finally realized that most critics are in another realm of existence than I am in regard of what is entertaining or not.

Blame it on the hectic world today or whatever, but I find people I know not enjoying any freakin thing in entertainment. Everybody's a critic. They bitch that a CD they bought only has 2 good cuts on it. They complain about movies. The club comic they saw last friday "wasn't that funny." They complain even about educational TV programs questioning the validity of the content as though there was some plot to purposely lead them astray.

Everybody seems to be in some New York minute mode of perspective when it comes to any entertainment these days like thay have adult A.D.D. Politically correctness has altered people's perception of what they think they should find entertaining. No one wants to chuckle at something that "used to be funny" in out dim unenlightened stone age times.

People not only can't let go and immerse themselves in audio or video entertainment, they can't even relax anymore. I find that sad. But then again I could be wrong.
Sigh.gif

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it's not so much the actors, as it is the writing,....

......casting, production, direction, etc. that make a character or a performance memorable.
Good actors are sometimes wasted on bad movies.
For instance, Bruce Willis was great in Pulp Fiction, but Armegeddon was a real clunker.
Probably every actor and actress of note throughout motion picture history has been the victim of a bad screenplay or has been horribly mis-cast in the wrong role.
And then it is like any art form, sometimes an artist will simply sell out for the cash and do shlock work. :( :mad:

Hmm,.....so then maybe the real question should be, "Which modern actor or actress has never sold out?"

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Oh, I think we have some strong actors working today.....

• Tom Hanks - Destined to be today's Jimmy Stewart.
  • Anthony Hopkins - a total chameleon. Wonderful actor.
  • Antonio Banderas - inevitably typed as a Latin, but has considerable range and has made interesting movies.
  • Harvey Keitel - wonderful character/supporting actor and occasional lead; he has appeared in too many B pictures.
  • Gary Sinise - very versatile, but perhaps the perpetual bad guy.
  • Gary Oldman - anyone who can play Dracula for Coppola is impressive. He does good and bad buy roles with equal ease.
  • Richard Dreyfus - another "Everyman" who has a good range.
  • Mel Gibson - he manages to help me suspend disbelief every time.
  • Al Pacino - has perhaps done too many gangster roles, but still a fine actor even if verging on typecast.
  • Duston Hoffman - from Midnight Cowboy to Little Big Man, and still working.
  • Robert DeNiro - has to be one of the greats. He also tends to get into gangster roles, or he lampoons the gangster persona in comedies - but he's solid.
  • Dennis Hopper - do you have ANY idea how many movies this guy has made? He was in westerns with John Wayne and others, broke out in Easy Rider, but he does roles of all kinds. He was the bad guy in Speed a few years ago..and he keeps popping up in places where you don't expect him. Normally a supporting actor, but he does fine work.
  • Jack Nicholson - I like him a lot when he's NOT doing a parody of Jack. Every now and then he just goes through the moves and you see Jack playing a part. But in roles like "As Good As It Gets" and "Something's Gotta Give", you really believe him.
  • Orlando Bloom - played in Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Kingdom of Heaven, and seems to have great promise as a leading actor for the future.
  • Viggo Mortenson - has played many roles (including the D.I. in "GI Jane") and seems to have a style that many people like. Aragorn lives!
  • Harrison Ford - aging, but one of the most important actors of the past 30 years. How many huge pictures has he acted in? It's staggering!

About Bruce Willis and Nicholas Cage, I don't know - they have moved into action flicks as their mainstays, but people love them and they're dynamite box office. I think they should be mentioned with those above.

Mickey Caesar

Familiar Face
How are we defining "this generation"? Would this include actors working within the last 10-20 years or so?

Duvall, Hackman, Hopkins, while all fine actors are of which generation exactly? I assumed they are from an earlier one. Someone enlighten me!
I think one of the problems with casting actors like these, is that (no offense) they are too old to play in the type of movies that the Hollywood execs rightly or wrongly think America wants to watch. They seem to be falling short these days.

ukali1066

Practically Family
I must mention Daniel Day Lewis....a remarkable actor.... His Daniel Plainview in There will be blood is a masterclass...finest actor working today in my opinion....he only chooses quality parts

ukali1066

Practically Family
Someone mentioned Matthew Mconaghey....I have his career choices sussed....he has only two on screen personas.....earnest Southern lawyer or bare chested rascal...

djd

Practically Family
My personal 'this genetation' actors would be-

Damien Lewis
Timothy Olyphant
George Clooney
Kevin Mckidd
Tom Hanks
Patrick Stewart

Those are the few who spring to mind when I think of people who I can watch in anything

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
I believe Sean Penn deserves consideration, as well. His career may have started off a little rough but his portrayal of Sergeant Welsh in "Thin Red Line" was masterful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy