Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Difficult Decision to Make

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As others have stated, this is a rare find, and in such good condition. It's value might only appreciate. I'd leave it alone, keep it as a collectors piece. Or, wear it around the house a bit, a little while every day, you might just get used to the big brimm and it could become your favorite hat. I know someone this happened to:)

feltfan

Of course I'll also vote for wearing it a while and seeing
if you get used to it. Or I'd be glad to buy it from you
and wear it with pride (after a bit of stretching)!

I find that extra wide brim hats are nice to have around
for certain occasions. They do offer a lot of shade.

Let it grow on you (or you on it) . . .

Sad to say, most of us guys don't grow more gaunt with time. My 43rd birthday brought both reading glasses and a jump in my shirt size from 15.5 to 16. And the trend continues. . .

People wait decades for a great wine to come into its own. Surely you can wait a bit for your face to grow into your hat. What's that? "It'll never happen to me"? That's what I said. Ozymandias too, no doubt.

Or sell it to Besdor.

In any case, congratulations on a fine win.

Sardou

Rick Blaine

I implore you, PLEASE...

... leave the hat unmolested. Not only for all the very good reasons enumerated here, but also for posterity, as its integrity is essential to its significance as a valuable historical item... (i.e.-they don't make 'em like that anymore, nor will they in the future) Speaking for myself, I would gladly trade a couple of my 7 3/8 stingier brims for that beaut', as I am sure many here would too! But please give us a chance to see it on yr. head!

stylin

Familiar Face
I'm with the others.....give it time my friend. Time. It may grow on you. If not, trim it.

For it's better to have loved and worn then to have never worn at all.. [huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
!

Marc, you know exactly what to do here, as you have advised me in a similar situation - and VERY firmly so!

Remember the jacket I picked up and thought was WAY too long? I was going to have it shortened, and you told me PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THAT JACKET! Because I respect your advice, I followed it, and am VERY glad. Now that I've worn it, I understand that to mess with it would have been to screw it up irretrievably. It is now among my most treasured articles of clothing.

If you like that hat, hang onto it, wear it a bit, see if it grows on you. If not, sell it to someone that can make it work, and look for another. You'll live to be 108 and you KNOW it's so: there's always another one.

Would you hack up an Oviatt's suit that didn't quite fit you to make a patchwork quilt? Or would you sell it and raise cash for the better-fitting Oviatt's suit that will surely come into your hands sooner or later?

deanglen

Could you post a picture of you wearing the hat? I agree with Scotrace, dpn't give up on it. Time is on your side, besides heres a hat with similar dimensions to yours and I think it looks good, but I'm biased, I admit.
8-3-06S5A.jpg

dean

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Marc, knowing you as a true vintage collector with an apprecaition of the past I am surprised at this very thread. Nobody here can stop you from doing what you think is best but if you decide to cut the brim down, please do NOT send it to me. I will not do that to a rare hat.

Barry

Practically Family
Jay said:
No need to make a hat like that even rarer than it already is. Keep it like it is.

I'm with everyone else - don't change it.

Once I found out (based on everyone's comments) that the stitched band on the Stetson Sovereign that I recently won was rare I decided to keep it. Kind of made me look at it in a new light.

Barry

nightandthecity

Practically Family
don't touch it! You'll find plenty more hats, some you'll like even better. Keep it as it is, and if it doesn't grow on you, sell it on.

Razzman

One Too Many
MC, that is one stunning hat. It seems to me that it would a crime to change it. You would instantly become the Fedora Lounge's Public Enemy Number 1. All the folks here have provided some great insight regarding what should be done with the hat. I too, feel it should be preserved in it's original state. Other hats will come along. You may even grow to love the way it looks on you. Give it some time. By the way congratulations on a great find.:eusa_clap A true piece of Americana. As Besdor proclaimed, "they don't make them like that anymore." It really does need to be preserved.:)

J.B.

Practically Family
Channelling J.C.

Remember -- I'm just a mere conduit from the other side...

though you don't like the brim
you must never trim

if you whack that fedora
this lounge'll have a bad aura

and if you cut off the edge
tarzana whups out a sledge

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Okay, gang, I've made a decision. Six more days of deliberation won't be necessary.

I won't trim the hat's brim. Instead, I'll live with it for a while. If the hat never ends up looking good on me, then I'll sell it.

Many, many thanks to all of you. Your opinion counts very high in my book. I wouldn't have asked for it otherwise :)

-------------------All the best,
---------------------------------Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto