Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Difficult Decision to Make

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

A few days ago, I won an eBay auction for a green felt fedora, probably from around 1940. The hat arrived today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...00029140018&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

It's a beauty. The felt has a Cavanagh-style finish, smooth as velvet. The grosgrain ribbon has a very fine ligne and a distinctive bow treatment. It was made by a hatmaker named "Courtney - distinctive designs".

Here's where things get difficult. The hat has a very wide brim -- or at least it's very wide for my face. About 2 7/8 inches wide! It makes this fedora look like an Australian bush hat.

Solution? Take the fedora to nearby Baron Hatters (in Burbank) and have them trim down the brim, to about 2 5/8 inches. And now comes the REALLY difficult part ...

The brim has a Cavanagh-style edge. As you know, these edges are not made today -- period. If I have the brim trimmed, the Cavanagh-style edge will be lost forever.

What to do?

S

Samsa

Well, if you won't wear it with the current brim width, then why not trim it? In a sense it's a shame to lose the Cavanagh edge. But if the alternative is that it sits in a hatbox somewhere in your closet and is never worn, then I'd say it's worth losing the edge.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
If I intended to sell the hat, I'd follow your advice.

Problem is, I wish to keep it for myself. And I can't get over the fact that the brim looks out of proportion with my head.

In the words of Treebeard the Ent....."don't be so hasty!'

Its been less then a day, I would not rush into any decisions whatsoever until you have put that hat on your head for 10-15 min every day for 3 weeks.....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc,

I hate to say it, but this is not a run-of-the-mill fedora, it is a rare felt and a rare brim edge.

Wear it around for a while, it might grow on you. Touching it seems sacrilegious!

I think of my Indy friends who find these wonderful old brown fedoras and chop them up to look like Indy hats. :eusa_doh:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Don't touch that brim!!!!!!!!!

I bet you had already guessed my response.:)

What's the crown height? Your best bet would be to reblock the hat into a taller crown, though you still have to be careful with that edge. That's assuming the crown's not at 6 inches now. Then just move the sweat and ribbon, and you're all set.

Brad
"Save the Cavanagh Edge!"

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
And that's the problem. The crown is already nearly 6 inches tall :(

Hmm, somewhat of a problem, but not really that bad. A deeper center dent or whatever bash you put in it will still look fine, and will take up some of the extra height. Just have to find a hatter with a 6 1/4" to a 6 1/2" tall block. I'd bet Art has one.

Brad

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is a beautiful hat Marc. I would try to save the brim and work out some alternative style to the hat that does not draw attention to the wide brim or tall crown.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Marc its your hat

I saw the hat and for a brief moment thought I may have a chance for it, well it went for much more than I was prepared to pay. That having been said, what a horrid fate to do a slice and dice on this hat. It is truely a one-of-a-kind. Have you considered what a 6 inch crown without the brim to support it may look like? Anyway, it is your hat, I don't normaly like people to tell me what to do with what is mine. That having been said enjoy. It is one heck of a hat.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
My gut reaction to your post before seeing a photo of the hat was to vote "trim it if you're not going to wear it as is." However, after seeing a photo of the hat, I realize that my gut reaction was WAY off. That is a special one, Marc...trimming it just seems wrong to me, almost like defacing a work of art. It may not become a staple in the wardrobe, but you'll likely never find another like it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I hear you. On the one hand, I know how rare and beautiful the details are. On the other hand, its wide brim makes it look like ...

rogerrabbit.jpg

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I am sorry, I just don't see the problem

Marc Chevalier said:
I hear you. On the one hand, I know how rare and beautiful the details are. On the other hand, its wide brim makes it look like ...

rogerrabbit.jpg

In the ebay photo, it was obvious that it was a wide brim. I guess I am used to wearing a wide brim as I am in a Western quite often. 4" is quite normal for me, I do not feel a stingy looks good on me so I don't buy them. Why buy a Mona Lisa and paint over it because you dont like painings of women?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Please dont destroy your vintage 1930's era hat !!!. I started to bid on it but forgot about it at the last moment . I'm glad it went to someone on the FL .
They DONT make them like that anymore.

Steven

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
thefedorastore said:
I'd suggest keeing the brim in original condition as the hat will probably not depreciate. Also, you face might change over the years!
Yes, time does have a way of filling out ones face (among other places) and you may come to a point where such a wide brim seems like the only type you are comfortable in. Also you could grow a long beard. Just don't drive an "eliminator". ;)

Any chance of a photo with the hat on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland