Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fast food rant

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I know this has nothing to do with the golden era.....but.....

(in an Andy Rooney voice).....have you noticed menus at fast food joints lately? They don't list everything that they serve. You see pictures for some things and menu lists for others. Sometimes the picture is in the window and not on the menu at all.

Since I am on the subject....they also have a problem understanding the English language. I am not talking about people who don't speak English as a first language. That is a problem too, but I am referring to their confusion on certain words.

MEAL: 1 : an act or the time of eating a portion of food to satisfy appetite 2 : the portion of food eaten at a meal

If I get just a hambuger, it is still a meal even though I am not having a soda and fries too.

BREAKFAST : 1 : the first meal of the day especially when taken in the morning 2 : the food prepared for a breakfast

There is no mention of eggs in the definition. Breakfast is when you eat not what you eat.

What will they think of next?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh what I love is this. You see the following...
French Fries-$.99, $1.09, $1.29, $1.39
with no sizes listed...so you have to say, "I would like the $1.09 fries, but I don't know what size that is. That'll be all."
Employee-"Okay, one medium order of fries. Would you like a drink with that?"

The above applies to drink sizes/prices too. Am I supposed to assume the $1.39 price is for Jumbo size???? Fast food restaurants, gotta love 'em.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Mrs. Band Director Jones and I stopped by a local fast food restaurant last night. Of course, I use the phrase "fast food" very loosely. I took us 10 minutes to get our order taken and to get our food. The place wasn't busy and there were plenty of workers in the joint. While I was waiting patiently for my food, I took the time to read a few of their signs posted for their employees.

One stated that during their "Peak Times" (which fell within the time we were there) that all registers should be open and that all employees should remain at their stations. Out of the three registers, only one was open and most oft he people were in the back or wandering around in front of the counter.

The second sign stated that the "Food Delivery Time" should be under 3 minutes. 3 minutes!?!?!? Boy, did they miss that goal.

By the time we got our food there was a growing line (at least 5 or 6 deep) and still only one register open. Then to top it off my fries were cold and it was darn near impossible to find a clean table. :rage: :rage:

Then, why do they have to always ask if I want it "Super Sized' or if I want something else with it? Don't they think that if I wanted something else I would have asked for it? And how come they have those ketchup dispensing machines, but never keep them filled, making me have to go back up to the counter, wait in line again, just to get ketchup. They should be aware of what is going on in there own restaurant or do away with those machines if they are not going to keep them filled. And, would it be such a big deal to smile and seem happy to see me like on the commercials instead of making it seem like I was there worst enemy and a big nuisance?
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

I'm going to go calm down now . . . Kum-Ba-Ya, My Lord, Kum-Ba-Ya . . .

Imahomer

Practically Family

I'm going to go calm down now . . . Kum-Ba-Ya, My Lord, Kum-Ba-Ya . . . [/B]

Pretty funny. I try to not eat the fast food junk. But, of course I've gone into probably everyone that is out there. When I see that sort of service, or hear people complain about it, my usual responce is:

"There is a reason that these folks are working in a fast food restaurant."

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by Chamorro
That's why I like In-N-Out. Very simple menu, only one size of fries. The do have other things not listed but you have to be an insider to know about them. Weeds out the riff-raff.

They do make a tasty burger there. They opened one in my town about 5 years ago and my oldest son worked there when they first opened up. Damnn.... they worked him like a dog. That place was so busy, the people were lined up way out the door.

Every time I would go into it to buy something, I'd look for my son. I'd see him, but he never saw me because his head was down and he was working hard.

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
What I hate, and I see this mostly in Pizza joints, is a skewed size structure to their menu. How can you have a "medium/large/x-large" without a "small"? I'm sorry, but the medium becomes small by default. Don't try and make me think I'm getting something I'm not.

Mike

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Would you like to SUPER-SIZE your rant?

Ever notice that McDonalds isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t about FOOD anymore? McDonalds seems to wrap itself in the latest Disney promotion?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ to the point that some of the restaurants even do a partial make-over for what ever Disney is cranking out.

And, they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re always ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCelebrating?¢‚Ǩ? the release of something Disney related. Who CELEBRATES the release of a flick? Do they wear Tux?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and Evening Gowns? Do they all raise Champaign glasses and toast the release of the movie? No, you CELEBRATE the birth of a child, a wedding, an anniversary, graduation?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ real life things. (I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m still hung-over from last night?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ we were drinking the bubbly for Mike?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s new Optimo.)

Ever notice that commercials always have good looking healthy under-weight people?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ while in the actual restaurants you have people with bulging waste lines.

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
Re: Would you like to SUPER-SIZE your rant?

Originally posted by Renderking Fisk
(I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m still hung-over from last night?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ we were drinking the bubbly for Mike?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s new Optimo.)

Boy, I wish you would've shared... all I got was rainbow sherbert.;)

Mike

Dalexs

Practically Family
Re: Would you like to SUPER-SIZE your rant?

Originally posted by Renderking Fisk
Ever notice that McDonalds isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t about FOOD anymore? McDonalds seems to wrap itself in the latest Disney promotion?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ to the point that some of the restaurants even do a partial make-over for what ever Disney is cranking out.

Of course, this is coming from a man who's child is still a wee bit too young to fully let dad & mom know his appreciation of all those wonderful fast-food tie-ins. I give him 2 years and ol' Mr. Renderking Fisk will be singing a different tune! :rolleyes:
(this coming from a dad who actually went BACK to the counter to exchange a Helllo Kitty toy for a BroBear toy for his son...) :cry:

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Another sappy post about my love for the USA.

I love America. Love it. This great Nation of ours is absolutely fantastic. I am so privilaged to have been born in the United States and one tiny, yet significant, portion of that privilage includes places like grocery stores and fast-food joints. Now I don't eat a lot of fast food but I love that fact that I live in a nation where if it is late and I'm tired and need something to eat I can pull over just about anywhere and get a warm meal for just a few bucks. It is amazing! We live in a place where giant corporations are devoted to keeping our tummies filled. Is it the most healthy food? Of course not. Moderation of anything is best. But if you had a lousy day at work and the last thing you want is to spend forty minutes cooking a meal that will take ten minutes to eat you have the choice in this Country to stop off and grab some food all ready prepared. It is a wonderful, wonderful thing. There are places on this Earth where finding sustenance is a daily struggle. We are so lucky to live in a place where there is a McDonalds or SubShop or DQ or even a grocery store close by just about anywhere.

My one complaint about fast food places concerns the employees. They are either border jumpers that can barely speak a lick of English or they're idiot teenagers with a lousy work ethic. Let's face it, working at McD's isn't rocket science. The least they can do is put some effort and reasonable intelligence into getting an order correct. Being good at a job isn't always about liking what you are doing. It's about respecting yourself because of a job well done. No matter what the task. The rest follows.

gobler

One of the Regulars
Well The_Edge couldn't have said it better. The area I live in which is a decent middle-class to upper-middle class, is borderd by lower-class/"imagrent" cities. The thing that really cheeses me off is that when I pull up to give my order I can be curtain that the person on the other end cannot fully understand what I am saying. I have had to pull forward to slowly explain what I want to see there glazed expression and having some one behind them (most likely the manager) translate:rage: I'm sorry but if you intend on working a job dealing with the public then for Peet's sake speak the bloody language!! Rant over (for now)

Cheers,
Jeff

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got fed up with all of the aforementioned problems with restaurants, so we primarily eat at home. We go out to eat once a month or so. It's cheaper, and much more enjoyable.

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
I do get frustrated at times when I have to repeat an order to someone who understanding of the english language is, well ... lacking. However, isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t it the managers responsibility to hire those who will do a good job and have a competent grasp of the english language? My issue isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t with the employees, but the managers who hire individuals that have difficulty speaking english or don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t care about their job. So either the manager doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t care about the quality of individuals they hire or the hiring pool is ?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ (how shall I say this?) ?¢‚Ǩ¬¶less than optimal.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I was asked by my friend's grandfather once what was the difference between supper and dinner?

Any thoughts? He told me but I want to hear what you think.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by CoffeeDude
I do get frustrated at times when I have to repeat an order to someone who understanding of the english language is, well ... lacking. However, isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t it the managers responsibility to hire those who will do a good job and have a competent grasp of the english language? My issue isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t with the employees, but the managers who hire individuals that have difficulty speaking english or don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t care about their job. So either the manager doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t care about the quality of individuals they hire or the hiring pool is ?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ (how shall I say this?) ?¢‚Ǩ¬¶less than optimal.

A very good point....and one that I need to keep in mind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leathermilitia