Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Lounge Akubra Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoney

Practically Family
griffer said:
this may sound overly simplistic, but why not take the proportions from and attempt to reproduce the hat in the FL logo?

Griffer's idea to duplicate the FL logo as a real hat... Brilliant!

I would much rather see something original like this as the FL Special Edition Hat than a rehash of an older Steston syle like the Whippet.. Don't get me wrong, the Whippet is too cool for school but... If we're going to do something special here I think a fresh design that incorporates the best elements from some of our favorites would be ideal. Again Griffer hits home with...

griffer said:
Everytime I look at the logo, i am impressed with how it distills and captures everything I admire and aspire to in my fedoras.

Rick Blaine said:
2 3/8" X 2 5/8" dimensionally cut bound brim, Minimum of 5.5" straight sided, taper free unbashed crown, a nice roan sweat (or at least not cardboard) & maybe choice of ribbon widths ...

I like the dimensional brim idea Rick. That's one of the things about the IJ Raiders Type hats that makes them appealing, but.. I think your dimensions are getting pretty close to a Raiders clone. If you applied the same idea to Griffer's lets make the logo a real hat idea. Hmmmm

Another thing I would like to see is that the hats are sold through the forum and Classic Style Magazine, rather than through a vendors website.

PS. Checkout the profile of the hat in griffers avatar. If we made the brim a little larger we would be close to the FL logo.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stoney said:
Another thing I would like to see is that the hats are sold through the forum and Classic Style Magazine, rather than through a vendors website.

Well, if we recall Sator's OP, the entire point is that the Australian vendor is open to ordering a hat to special specs, and the idea was floated that we could have some input on that. If FL wants to do its own hat completely under its own control that would seem to be a different project, but it seems that this is an opportunity that the members here would do well to take advantage of.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Stoney said:
Maybe we can get the pin and the hat(s) going at the same time.

I like the suggestion of three styles, open road type, a wide brim and a stingy...
but of course if we can only do one then my vote is....

A) High crown 4 1/2" to 5 "
B) 2 1/4" Snap Brim
C) 2" Grossgrain Contrasting Ribbon
D) No taper in the crown.
E) Semi Stiff , not too loose but not a cowboy hat either
F) Complete with 3/4" Fedora Lounge pin (no text) centered on the bow.
G) In Black, Taupe,Light Blue and some shade of Green or Green Taupe. *We all have plenty of brown and tan hats.

And most importantly; priced at a fair value for the hat.

Works for me! How can I get one?? Glad to see SATOR over here.

Sator

New in Town
OK guys, it's great to see all of this interest.

Irrespective of whether this project ends up being an 'official' FL thing or just a group of forumites getting together to recreate a classic fedora design, we are on to a winner. In the latter case we can just give the hat a name of our own choosing. I will of course only ever use the FL name or logo if MK officially sanctions it.

Regardless of whether this gets 'official' status or not it would be good for you guys to all be involved so that there is a sense of ownership in the design.

I will be in touch with Steve to try to get the idea from concept stage to looking into the detailed nitty gritty of it all. I will keep you all updated.

Stoney

Practically Family
Say Sator,

Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I think it would be a good idea for you to contact MK directly as I'm sure that he would be intersted in marketing the hat in the Classic Style store and magazine. You two should be able to work something out that is mutually benificial.

:)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Can we do multiple polls in one thread? Why don't we figure out some way to set up polls for the different attributes, e.g. color, brim width, crown style (including open crown), brim edge, ribbon widths, ribbon colors (though that would be sticky with contrasting options, matching options, and so on), etc. and just see what gets the most hits? The most popular attributes get combined into the first hat (provided they make sense together, of course), with options of the three most popular colors and ribbon combinations, and voil?†! the first Fedora Lounge endorsed hat! If the first hat takes off, the list of second most popular attributes would make a dandy second model.

For my .02, I think the Whippet idea is a great one, and would be a fine nomination for a first hat. My only reservation is that while I love my Akubra, I am considering Rick Blaine's method for softening it up because it is so darn stiff. The typical Akubra stiffness seems antithetical to a Whippet.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Excellent Idea, Jack!

Mojave Jack has an excellent idea! A series of polls would yield some very interesting information about our style preferences, even if it did not lead to one most-popular hat.

Of course, certain features tend to go together, e.g., (1.) wide brim, high crown, no taper, narrow ribbon (the '40s look); (2.) narrow brim, lower, tapered crown, wide ribbon (the 50's look); or (3.) narrow brim, high crown, a little taper, wide ribbon (the '30s look).

There was a poll a few months ago, What's your favorite brim width?, that garnered a large number of replies, but the FL search function is not working for me. I can't locate it.

Creating multiple polls is beyond my FL savvy, but perhaps one of the moderators could be persuaded to attempt the task. Matt or Andy, how about it?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I really like Giffer's idea.

If we were to splice the FL banner into a real-time hat, I would most definitley purchase one for myself.

Perhaps someone should create a poll...?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Regarding the hat....I don't want to have a conflict of interest with our advertisers. Therefore there won't be a "Fedora Lounge hat".

Having said that, I happy to discuss designs with Akubra or any other hat company about lids that would be a big hit with our crowd.

In fact, I have been invited to the National Headwear Association Dinner this week in NYC. I will be speaking with many of the makers and I feel certain they are interested in our market. My hope is to inform them of what they are missing....in other words....the great styles of the golden era.

vonwotan

Practically Family
MK - Great news about the Headwear Association dinner. Sounds like folks are really taking notice of The Fedora Lounge and Classic Style magazine. :eusa_clap

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
MK - will you show them some slides of what Loungers are wearing (higher crowns, no taper etc...?).

BTW, who are these people, are they the same association as the Hat Makers assoc. (can't think of the exact name of it) back in the 30s - 50s?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Mr. 'H' said:
MK - will you show them some slides of what Loungers are wearing (higher crowns, no taper etc...?).

BTW, who are these people, are they the same association as the Hat Makers assoc. (can't think of the exact name of it) back in the 30s - 50s?

This is my first time attending, but my understanding is that most of the major hat makers are represented. I was invited by the Vice President of Dorfman Pacific. This is the 99th annual event....so my gues it is the same orginisation.

I haven't decided which lid I will be wearing yet.

Sator

New in Town
MK said:
Regarding the hat....I don't want to have a conflict of interest with our advertisers. Therefore there won't be a "Fedora Lounge hat".

Having said that, I happy to discuss designs with Akubra or any other hat company about lids that would be a big hit with our crowd.

Thanks MK. I understand the situation and will respectfully avoid any suggestion that this project is an official FL project. I hope you don't mind if we still use this excellent forum to (re)create a hat that many would be proud to own.

I would like it to be a Nungar exclusive hat as I think it would be difficult to realise this project without Steve's willingness to help. In return he gets exclusive right to market the hat.

So far it sounds extremely promising. Steve rang me today and said that Akubra are happy to do it. They gave a minimum order number of 50-80 hats but even if there were only 12 upfront orders for the hat, Steve would still be happy to press ahead and order.

Even better is Steve's price. You are not going to believe this but he said a maximum of $120 AUD (about $93 US) plus shipping. I thought there was a mistake here and had to double check if he really meant a hat in the deluxe quality felt - but Steve was absolutely adamant this was indeed the case. What is more, Steve will give any FL member who orders a special discount on shipping.

All we have to do now is decide on the design and Akubra will make it for us. I think this is an unmissable offer.

As for those of you who have never heard of Nungar Trading I suggest reading this thread:

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21179

Guys are reporting excellent service and communication from Steve. He doesn't even charge your credit card until the goods have shipped. One guy who was visiting Australia rang Steve up to order from him and was invited to come and stay at his farm.

So can everyone interested in ordering up front please put their hand up!

Sator

New in Town
The leading candidates

I just read through this thread again and here are the leading candidates:

1. A recreation of the Whippet (the most popular proposal by far)
2. A modern update of the Stratoliner
3. A reproduction of the fedora on the FL logo

If we can come up with some good final candidates someone might like to start a thread with a poll (I don't seem to be able to add one to a thread) and put it to a popular vote.

I think we need to decide on this first before we fuss over colours, addition of a wind trolley etc.

Remember guys that if this project is successful, it will pave the way to us realising more designs in the future.

mingoslim

Practically Family
MK said:
In fact, I have been invited to the National Headwear Association Dinner this week in NYC. I will be speaking with many of the makers and I feel certain they are interested in our market. My hope is to inform them of what they are missing....in other words....the great styles of the golden era.

I hope you have a great time, and can find some sympanthetic ears . . .
But one thing they should also know is . . . while the great styles of the oglden era would be grand . . . the quality of the materials and workmanship of the golden era would be even more appreciated.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Wow! How did I miss this thread over the weekend??? This sounds like a great idea! The specs sound great- my vote is in for the 2 1/2" brim, although a taller untapered crown would be more suitable. I'd say 5 1/2-6" crown though...that can be dropped down to a a much lower height with a c-crown without getting any taper or be kept at its taller height for those of us that love the 30s high-crown look. I'd like to see the 2" ribbon, contrasting or matching. The wind trolley would be a great addition, too.
Personally, my favorite sweatbands are the ones on my Akubra Federation and Akubra Fedora- they're soft, supple and don't feel plasticky or overly glossy like some modern sweatbands. They feel very real.
If we have a large enough order, could we get a cavanagh edge? I know we've discussed it, and Graham at Optimo has been quoted as saying that it's possible but needs a minimum of 50 orders to get the bodies made.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Sator, what wonderful news!!! Such a good price. MrsRedPop isn't ready for another hat priced like that, she doesn't "get it" :( But ,man, it's easier to save that many pennies than a few more.

MK, instead of just quashing it outright, why don't you pursue this Hatter as an advertiser? Certainly with this many members already interested, the vendor can see a good market here, and get some value from being an advertiser? THEN your members can wear their TFL connection with pride. I think many here want to be able to honor TFL and their affiliation with it.

Best to you at the conference, that is more good news.

playitagainsam

New in Town
I've been following this since the other day, and I'm in for either Mr. Rover design or the FL logo design. I would also hope for high qualit felt even if it costs a few bucks more.
:)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Rover said:
Wow! How did I miss this thread over the weekend??? This sounds like a great idea! The specs sound great- my vote is in for the 2 1/2" brim, although a taller untapered crown would be more suitable. I'd say 5 1/2-6" crown though...that can be dropped down to a a much lower height with a c-crown without getting any taper or be kept at its taller height for those of us that love the 30s high-crown look. I'd like to see the 2" ribbon, contrasting or matching. The wind trolley would be a great addition, too.
Personally, my favorite sweatbands are the ones on my Akubra Federation and Akubra Fedora- they're soft, supple and don't feel plasticky or overly glossy like some modern sweatbands. They feel very real.
If we have a large enough order, could we get a cavanagh edge? I know we've discussed it, and Graham at Optimo has been quoted as saying that it's possible but needs a minimum of 50 orders to get the bodies made.

You've got my second on everything you've mentioned, Ray. These are all the features I'd love to see in a hat like the one Sator has proposed.

Whatever the final design we work out, I know it'll look great with the input of the esteemed gentlemen here. Count me in on this one, Sator!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
MK said:
This is my first time attending, but my understanding is that most of the major hat makers are represented. I was invited by the Vice President of Dorfman Pacific. This is the 99th annual event....so my gues it is the same organization.

I haven't decided which lid I will be wearing yet.

This is good - this is real good. We need a voice to espouse the wants and desires of this Lounge. We are the way forward. Wow, I wonder what lids these guys are wearing (probably really disappointing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou