Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few questions about naptha...

Jerekson

One Too Many
I got a great new hat in the mail today, but before I unveil it here I want to ask a few questions about cleaning it.

I understand that "naptha" is very popular in these parts.

-Where can I get it?
-How do I use it?
-Is it okay to use on wool felt?
-Ribbons and sweatbands?
-Will it make an old white hat whiter again? :p

Thanks gents!

Jer

EricH

One of the Regulars
Use the lounge search engine. This topic has been covered at least half a dozen times. Naptha is readily available at hardware and home improvement stores. It is highly flammable so cleaning should be done outside. Eric

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Naphtha also goes by the name "white gas" or Coleman Fuel. The camp fuel you can buy at Wally World is about the cheapest source I've found. Way cheaper than buying naphtha at the hardware store.

Kevin

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
So far as method goes, it's relatively simple. I have a large deep bucket with a built in stop cock and a lid, something from my beer brewing experiments. The stop cock makes it easy to pour the naphtha back into the cans after use and the lid keeps the odor contained. If you can't get something like that get a large funnel. You can reuse the naphtha several times, particularly if you're cleaning dark felts. I simply fill the bucket with enough naphtha to cover the hat and soak it over night. I have a smooth rock I place in the crown to keep it fully submerged. I've done several hats and have never had an issue. Dark felts seem to clean up easier. I tried to clean a light colored Borso with some unknown stains and it didn't really touch them. Just like at the dry cleaners, some things just don't come out once they've set. That said I've had great success in all but that one case. None of my hat's have the plastic liner so I'm don't know how that would fair. Ribbon, leather, and silk/acetate liner will be fine. When I take it out of the soak I place is on a piece of plastic screening I have stretched on a frame and let the naphtha evaporate. Once it's completely dry there will be no residual odor. Needless to say, this all needs to be done in a well ventilated place. Once it's all done I go over the sweat band with some leather treatment like Lexol or Pecard's. Turn the band out and work it in from the back unfinished side so it will soak in. Be sure the leather treatment is not excessive and let it dry well before you turn the band back in as you don't want the treatment to get into the felt.

Kevin

Ande1964

Practically Family
Great answer, Kevin... thanks so much. I'm gonna try this when it gets a little warmer.

See... great things can happen when you don't use the search function! ;)

Anj

Feraud

Bartender
Kevin Popejoy said:
Dark felts seem to clean up easier. I tried to clean a light colored Borso with some unknown stains and it didn't really touch them. Just like at the dry cleaners, some things just don't come out once they've set.

Could the efficacy of naptha cleaning dark versus light felt be a perception?
To clarify, does dark felt appear cleaner because you cannot see how clean dark felt is compared to light? Is there residual matter left in the bucket afterwards? Is it grit like matter or dye from the dark felt?

Of course the quality of the stain is another factor.

Has anyone else noticed this cleaning light versus dark felt issue?

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Light colored hats are not as forgiving. I have cleaned light hats that came out very well but this one didn't do so well. A shame as it's a very high quality Borsalino. I do typically get some stuff that precipitates out during cleaning. I use some cheese cloth to strain the naphtha when I return it to it's storage can. After a number of uses the naphtha will become discolored. There comes a point when you need to get some new. You would do well to clean your light colored hats with new clean solvent.

Kevin

Jerekson

One Too Many
I was just going to ask that too. Is the naptha bath eqauvilant to a soaking, I would assume?

Thanks for the help guys! This is going to be a snap!

I looked at the search button, but there were stilla few questions left unanswered for me.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My experience has been that naphtha (coleman fuel) doesn't affect the stiffener in a hat so you shouldn't see any more shape change than you would in, say, a soaking downpour ... this supposes you place the hat in the bath with care in an appropriately sized container, not just shove it in a bucket of gas.
As I said in another thread on this very subject, once I white gassed an Adam and accidentally left the feather in the ribbon and even it came out looking fantastic. Other than one tragic incident this has been a trouble free process for both me & my hats a dozen or more times. Do use care with this crap tho' ... I understand it is highly flammable / toxic.

Feraud

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
Other than one tragic incident this has been a trouble free process for both me & my hats a dozen or more times.
Can I ask what the incident was?
Considering the dangers of working with naptha we could all use the lesson.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I still haven't had one of my main questions answered; is it okay to use with wool felt?

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Is there any brushing/rubbing necessary in this process? Other than the standard preliminary brushing to remove surface dust and suchlike... I picked up an old Resistol the other day that's got a decent bit of grime on the bottom/front of the crown, extending down onto the brim about 1/4". Rancher grime, probably 1 part axle grease to 1 part cow poop. Wondering if this will really do the trick. The hat was once a beautiful gray-brown (under the ribbon), but sun and everyday wear have faded it a fair bit.

Regards, Andy

fletch31

Familiar Face
Naptha doesnt work well at all on food stains by my experience. I dont know how that will relate to cow poop. :) Grease, hair pomade and such comes out with out much problem though.
I did have a bad experience with a sweatband becoming incredibly brittle on a vintage 100% beaver open road style hat after the Naptha treatment. It was before I was able to treat with any leather treatment though I dont know how much it would have helped. It was an open road style that I got off the bay and it had a Cargill logo on the liner. It also had "100% beaver fur" and "Top Salesman" in gold lettering on the sweat. It was pretty dingy so I tried water and woolite first. I think that shrunk my sweatband up. Then I dunked it into a 5 gallon bucket filled about a quarter of the way with Naptha. I would shake it periodically over the next day and squashed the hat down in there real good. The Naptha got out half the stains and it dried with absolutely no smell. However in my excitement to find it dry with no odor, I put it on my head and instantly split the sweatband. I almost thought it was made of compressed paper but it was indeed leather. It was just really dry and brittle. I was able to tear pieces of it of rather easily after I took it out. I was pretty bummed about it but it led to me installing my first sweatband :)
I've only spot cleaned with naptha since then.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Fletch. I've already taken the liberty of removing the sweat, liner, and ribbon. All that remains is the brim binding. By the time I'm done with it, that'll probably be gone, too, following a brim trim from 3 1/2 down to about 2 1/2-2 5/8. Gotta see where a resize and reblock takes me first! I'll find some pics to post. Also got a Stetson stingy that might could use some help...

Regards, Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes