Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A gem of a lid - for sale now.

havershaw

Practically Family
hello all -
I have a sort of gem up on ebay right now - a pretty sweet 30s brown fedora. It's nice enough (and pertinent enough to this crowd) that I wanted to point it out specifically to everyone here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1930s-B...ryZ14065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought some kind of expensive vintage drums (and a few hats) that made it necessary to once again thin the herd. I have a few more quite nice lids going up later today and tomorrow as well. Some of these I have put off selling for years, but they weren't really getting much wear.

hope everyone is well.

havershaw

Practically Family
Yeah, she's a real beaut. My short-brim hats of the 30s just never get worn. I almost always reach for a wide-brim 40s hat first.

Sorry - I have mostly size 7. The biggest I've got is a 7 1/4. What can I say? I have a small head.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
what's the smallest lid you've got? If I'm not mistaken, you and I have shared eyes on lids before (if that makes ANY sense...) but I've looked at size 7's in the past, so that could've been the case. But if you've got anything smaller to put on the bay, I might be forced to bid!

carter

I'll Lock Up
The smallest I have is a 7 1/2. I actually wear a 7 5/8 but sometimes I just can't help myself.

There's an excellent Stetson Whippet on ebay in size 7. I'd bid on it if it fit.
There's also a Stetson 4X Beaver that's listed as a cowboy hat in size 7 1/8. This is an interesting hat as the crown style appears to be a Montana Peak.
There's an interesting Stetson 50's Panama with a maroon pugaree band.
And a 'Vintage 1940s / 50s Royal Stetson Deluxe Fedora Hat' in size 7.

If I were bidding, I'd bid in order of interest starting with
The Royal Stetson Deluxe, the Whippet, The Montana Peak, and the Panama. I might switch the last two.

havershaw

Practically Family
The Royal Stetson Deluxe and the Panama are two of my auctions.

You should all stay away from that Whippet. I sold my only Whippet two or three years ago and it's the only hat I ever sold that I really really missed. So I'm trying hard for that one! (That's partially why I'm selling these hats!)

Kentucky, I did put up a 6 7/8 and I'll look through what I've got. I still have a layer of hat boxes I couldn't get to which I need to go through to eliminate some stuff.

Drums:
They are 1959 Transition Badge Ludwigs - jazz sizes: 20" bass drum, 12" tom, 14" floor tom. Recovered in a kind of dumb black, but I'm going to either recover them or repaint them in a duco finish to match one of the several duco Transition snares I have.
While I like the 60s maple Ludwigs a lot, I really have an extra warm spot in my heart for the mahogany-shelled WFLs. I have a whole bunch of them. But this was the first time I ever saw them in these smaller sizes (Transiton Badge Ludwigs, by and large, used leftover WFL mahogany shells.) I couldn't pass them up...and the bidding got out of hand.

Don't get me wrong - my hat collection is out of hand. But you should see my drum collection:
http://www.flyingblanket.com/gearlist/12
(you can click on each item and a photo and description should come up.)

Now stay away from that Whippet!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Drum collection? Geez ... I get read the riot act by my wife because of my postcard collection. And that only takes up a couple of folios on my desk.

Maybe I'll start collecting baby grands. :D

Richard

havershaw

Practically Family
Yeah, my wife has two words that instatly start a vein in her forhead pulsing:
"drums"
and
"hats."
Luckily, my drums are all kept at my recording studio and an additional storage space. But I generally bring each new kit home and disassemble it completely and clean each and every crevice of the drum, replace the worn parts, etc., and while I'm doing that, one half of my very small living room ends up being full of drums. And that REALLY makes her nuts.
I'm a very lucky man. She has a lot to put up with.

ideaguy

One Too Many
I've got a Borsalino Allesandria in a size 7...thin,soft felt, light tan, wind trolley, leather sweat is close to perfect-will try and get a photo or two up if my camera and editing program cooperate; or/and PM me if there's any interest...
one of the nicest I've come across-but I take a 7 3/8.

Tariacuri

New in Town
Hey, those sound awesome. This is what I do in my spare time

http://www.frontrangebronze.com
Drums:
They are 1959 Transition Badge Ludwigs - jazz sizes: 20" bass drum, 12" tom, 14" floor tom. Recovered in a kind of dumb black, but I'm going to either recover them or repaint them in a duco finish to match one of the several duco Transition snares I have.
While I like the 60s maple Ludwigs a lot, I really have an extra warm spot in my heart for the mahogany-shelled WFLs. I have a whole bunch of them. But this was the first time I ever saw them in these smaller sizes (Transiton Badge Ludwigs, by and large, used leftover WFL mahogany shells.) I couldn't pass them up...and the bidding got out of hand.

Don't get me wrong - my hat collection is out of hand. But you should see my drum collection:
http://www.flyingblanket.com/gearlist/12
(you can click on each item and a photo and description should come up.)

Now stay away from that Whippet![/QUOTE]

havershaw

Practically Family
Oh yeah, my wife does enjoy the persecution.
But she enjoys it more when our living room is not full of drums that I'm trying to put back together after having polished them.

That cymbal site is AWESOME. I only play vintage 50s and 60s Zildjians. I'm sure I'd like the 40s Istanbuls but I have never been able to afford one, so i've never actually heard one.

Great, now I have something else to save up for.

Tariacuri

New in Town
havershaw said:
Oh yeah, my wife does enjoy the persecution.
But she enjoys it more when our living room is not full of drums that I'm trying to put back together after having polished them.

That cymbal site is AWESOME. I only play vintage 50s and 60s Zildjians. I'm sure I'd like the 40s Istanbuls but I have never been able to afford one, so i've never actually heard one.

Great, now I have something else to save up for.

50's and 60's Zildjians may not be hand hammered - but they do have that classic 'rock' sound

The Dreams sound vintage but without the sticker shock.

I have many, many, vintage cymbals and drums!!!

cool to see another drum nut - love the Rogers

Chris

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Will you be letting go of your Stetson Flagship anytime soon? Drums and hats are a great combination. I just sold a six piece Sonor-Lite to make room for a custom set made by the Modern Drum Shop. You have a wonderful drum collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24