Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Girls' Weekend Out, circa 1939

St. Louis

Practically Family
I'm looking for suggestions and ideas. A friend of mine, who lives about 550 miles north of me, wants to take a long weekend vacation for a Girls' Weekend Out. We only see each other once or twice a year, so this is a way of getting together on our own just for fun and relaxation.

The idea is to stay in a bed & breakfast, have a nice ladies' lunch, go shopping for clothes circa 1930s and 1940s, maybe do a fancy afternoon tea, perhaps take in a concert or maybe even find a swing dance. We plan to avoid and eschew modern movies, malls, restaurants, or anything similarly vulgar.

What do you think would be a great place for a 1930s weekend? At the moment we're so bereft of ideas that we've decided to do in St. Louis, which does have a lot of the amenities I've mentioned, but surely there must be other great places. And it's kind of cheating for me, since I live here. (But that would save the hotel fees, obviously, and I've already offered to treat on all the restaurants and teas.)

Do you have any other ideas for fun things we should do? Also, what would be the appropriate clothing? A nice suit for shopping and a printed silk dress for tea? We're planning to do this in mid-April.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
It seems like you and Rue have some great ideas already. Maybe add antique gadgets/books shopping with clothing?
As for the tea party, printed floral dresses with cardigans, hats, matching bags and shoes, and perhaps gloves would probably be appropriate as well as pretty. I searched for pictures, but I found most of the examples lacking (too many super casual outfits with hats thrown on top).
This picture I found of someone's tea party. They still look too casual to my eye, but I think the one in the white with purple flowers has the right basis. She just needs a cover for arms and shoulders, a hat, etc.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CPPBLw0gWxQ/S-BlKnG28uI/AAAAAAAAAtE/qGHYUbCM-q8/s1600/gang.jpg

Last edited:

St. Louis

Practically Family
Thanks! The Botanical Garden is about 160 years old, so it's a wonderful site for a 1930s toddle. I just wish I could picnic there! ThemThereEyes, my pal and I will dress circa 1939, but I think the details you describe are perfect.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
The Scott Joplin House and the Campbell House Museum are great attractions and I highly recommend them.

The Union Station has exhibits showcasing the history of the station with vintage memorabilia on display. The hotel within Union Station has a very ornate dining room that has been restored to its original design. Go have some drinks there.

Be sure to include Dad's Cookies for your weekend out, http://www.dadscookies.com/ ..can't get more vintage than that.

Hit up some of the historic hotels in the area. I like the pink Sheraton Hotel right in downtown as well as the Roberts Mayfair Hotel. Both historic gems.

Check with the Casa Loma Ballroom to see if there will be any events going on during your Girl's Weekend. http://www.casalomaballroom.com/history.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24