Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Good Letter I Found On Radios

K

kpreed

It is one of those "wish I said that" kind of letters I want to share.
I'm sure we all have our own reasons why we collect. Some may do it in hopes of making a profit. Some may collect for the love of wood restoration. Some for the thrill of bringing a dead chassis back to life.

Why do I collect radios? For me, it's the drive. The want. The desire to preserve a piece of Americana, a part of America that will never return again. I look at a you guys in here as the last of a dying breed. Once you guys are gone, where will those of us who cherish these radios go for advice, instruction, knowledge, and tricks of the trade? Who will carry on?

I've always loved the past. My first car I bought in 1970 was a 1939 Ford Coupe. As I've mentioned in a previous threads that I own very valuable pre-prohibition shot glasses. I collected Coleman Lanterns and accessories for quite a while. I dabbled in watches and clocks for a short time. But none of those has inspired me like the flavor of these old radios that I've tasted have. I am truly hooked on these old relics. Each radio has its own personality, it's own stories to tell if it could talk and tell us the things it's seen come and go through the living rooms, the parlors, the shops, the farms, etc., throughout their powered up lives. But now, a lot of them are tossed in the garage with the rest of the junk. Sometimes literally thrown away in the garbage can.

I love the past. I love old things. And my love for the past, the values this country had when these radios were in their prime, the work ethics, and the way the country pulled together and realized what patriotism was all about.

Basically, I am collecting these old radios because it takes me back to the days of my youth. I had a great childhood. I doubt I'll ever sell the radios I've aquired so far. And if I do, I'll pass it on to the next fella at a fair price. But for now, I'm going to enjoy the hunt, enjoy the learning experience, and the thrill of learning as much as I can.

Before I end, think about this.... Imagine how many different hands have turned the knobs on the radios that you guys own. Imagine a time when that was how they got their news. Not by a bunch of pretty television talking heads, but instead, by a voice and a voice only. Listeners were left to their imagination as to what the speaker looked like, etc. It was/is a wonderful stimuli. We have to use our brains to listen to a radio. Isn't wondering a great thing?

I collect radios because I love the feel of wood, the sight of glowing tubes, strange new dials, shiny glass, buttons, knobs, and, the smell these classics give off.

Long live the tubes!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Hi KP,

That was a great letter on the AntiqueRadios.com forum. Glad you shared it here too.
I've said a lot of those things myself on forums and to the people I meet that wonder why I do this.

I save and collect them for many of the same reasons.
Of course, because of where I still live and grew up its Canadiana for me, not Americana. Lots of Canadian radio businesses existed since the early days.

Maybe I have more consoles than most should collect, but I just can't step away from a dead old radio that I find out there neglected at a junk shop or thrown out on the curb. I think about how cool this new one looks and how it's different from the others I have.

I also think of all the events that were listened to on it when the radio was new and proudly set at the centre of the household for entertainment, news, etc. So, I wedge one more into the collection.

Funny how sentimentality and nostalgia for those times can make an inanimate object seem to have life. I actually have felt "sorry" for some beaten up old radios, weird....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Amen, amen, amen. One of the reasons I love "vintage" stuff in general, is that as opposed to artifacts of most previous eras, these things can still be used. I listened to my Zenith for 4 hours yesterday, using my low power transmitter. The sound is so deep and mellow. The only way to listen to music of the era. And when they're turned off, I just love looking at them.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
Amen, amen, amen. One of the reasons I love "vintage" stuff in general, is that as opposed to artifacts of most previous eras, these things can still be used. I listened to my Zenith for 4 hours yesterday, using my low power transmitter. The sound is so deep and mellow. The only way to listen to music of the era. And when they're turned off, I just love looking at them.

dhermann1, you took some more thoughts right out of my head, too cool! :)

When the old radios are off, you have a piece of art to look at, sure beats the plain "black box" electronics of today.
Come to think of it, I don't really know what my modern everyday TV case even looks like. When I turn it off I walk away and try not to see it.

To listen to authentic programs on those radios is a wonderful experience that transports the mind into that time.

Glad I found the Fedora Lounge, most people out there just don't "get it" like the people here do.

zaika

One Too Many
what a wonderful letter.

now i feel bad for letting my great-grandparents' Airline floor radio go to seed. i stored it for awhile, lost a couple of knobs, it's dusty, the speaker cloth is sagging. it's now indoors...but still. it needs some work. and from the sounds of it...i wish i knew how to get it up and running so i could listen to ray noble the proper way.

is there a confessional around here? i need to ask for a penance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters