Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A great way to spend D-Day

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Jump to Destiny: A Clash of Eagles

D-Day reenacment

http://wardepartment.prophpbb.com/topic292.html

A 100 person combined blankfire and airsoft event, the largest of its kind that we know of.

558926058_92gSm-XL.jpg

558926745_a2rDN-XL.jpg

558927025_EkcUp-XL.jpg

558927141_7Qjru-XL.jpg

558927729_8n7ZQ-XL.jpg

558928056_MVwHu-XL.jpg

558928235_Gf4nN-XL.jpg

558928423_BLk5K-XL.jpg

558928849_rvWNE-XL.jpg

558929179_Zs75s-XL.jpg

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Very cool

I would highly highly suggest coming down to Camp Roberts West Coast Regional Event this November. Our Camp Roberts events are always over 200 participants nearing 300 with each year. Except we don't allow airsoft guns I'm afraid.

Davep

One of the Regulars
If you go to the main site of the photographer
http://www.gwagdesigns.com/Military Simulation

You'll notice a mix of WW2 reenactors and Airsoft Players dressed in WW2 clothing an gear. The airsoft players, have lots of what the reenactors would call "farbee" items, ie. wrong boots, plastic canteens, beards, knee pads, etc. For example you'll see boots which are simply hiking boots. All of which wouldn't be allowed in your average WW2 reenactor event.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Davep said:
If you go to the main site of the photographer
http://www.gwagdesigns.com/Military Simulation

You'll notice a mix of WW2 reenactors and Airsoft Players dressed in WW2 clothing an gear. The airsoft players, have lots of what the reenactors would call "farbee" items, ie. wrong boots, plastic canteens, beards, knee pads, etc. For example you'll see boots which are simply hiking boots. All of which wouldn't be allowed in your average WW2 reenactor event.

No they don't look perfect but for 40% of the people there it was their first event. The airsoft guys get better every time they come out, just l reenactors. they are just a couple years behind, but catching up fast.

DannyBoy

New in Town
Man, I've been trying to make it up there for either JTD or the Bulge game for the last couple of years now. The weekends have always fallen on a date that I'd had a previous commitment though :( . One of these days I'll make it out. I like idea of combining airsoft and blank fire, you kind of get the best of both worlds - the flash and bang of blanks, and the "oh $h*# there's stuff actually flying at me!" of airsoft.
Anyways, beautiful pictures _RAGNAR_. Is there a tentative date for the next event?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Great photos.

_RAGNAR_ said:
No they don't look perfect but for 40% of the people there it was their first event. The airsoft guys get better every time they come out, just l reenactors. they are just a couple years behind, but catching up fast.

And if a hobby is going to grow, then a bit of tolerance and soft-voiced coaching goes alot further than the elevated nostril belittlement I've seen some stitch-counters dish out.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Story said:
Great photos.

And if a hobby is going to grow, then a bit of tolerance and soft-voiced coaching goes alot further than the elevated nostril belittlement I've seen some stitch-counters dish out.

Yeah, we call 'em stitch nazis over here. You can't expect a new guy to get it right the first time...its very rare that a guy comes out to his first event in full kit. And its unreasonable to expect them to, thats the quickest way to get a guy burnt out is by expecting him to do such things. And besides...think of the example you are setting for your unit to the new guy.

Davep

One of the Regulars
That is why the more experienced guys in a unit, take the new guys under their wing, and "complete" their kit with all the missing items for a "basic impression" with proper loaner gear. We never leave it to a new guy or allow him to worry that he will be missing something, this includes a M1 Garand Rifle and clips if need be.

In many cases we search out the missing items, and either direct them to the items or vendor, or purchase them ourselves off ebay for them (which they reimburse us cost/shipping) for those guys who don't have ebay accounts.

Even for us regulars, it seems we have back-ups for everything, from cork for canteens to a pair of new shoe laces, spare earplugs and extra water.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Exactly...even though this has been reiterated more times than anything else. in the 2nd we assign mentors to new guys if they approach the unit. Or if one of the members gets a new guy he becomes the mentor by default, but of course we all pitch in. Most of the stuff a new guy buys is from unit members.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
Exactly...even though this has been reiterated more times than anything else. in the 2nd we assign mentors to new guys if they approach the unit. Or if one of the members gets a new guy he becomes the mentor by default, but of course we all pitch in. Most of the stuff a new guy buys is from unit members.

Most every unit uses mentors and loaner gear, in the case of this event unfortunately the Allied reenactors in the PNW did not support it in any significant numbers, so the Allies that you see were for the most part VERY new i.e 1/3 plus their first event, another 1/3 their second event.

Given that the Allies were for the most part making it up with composite units created the day of the event and very limited or no mentorship and they look pretty good. Half of the Brit unit was experience reenactors with over 1/3 from the same unit so they looked a lot better. The Americans did the best they could on their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy