Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A hat for a crooked head

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Every hat I have ever, worn: safari, outback, fedora or flat cap (no matter the quality of hat ), has always sat on my head about an inch and a half crooked off-centre. Is this because my head is hopelessly misshapen, or is it because I always use the same hand to take the hat on and off?
The hats are always comfortable, but just look peculiar. Comments? Suggestions?

g.durand

One Too Many
Mine do that, too, about 3/4 of an inch or so to the right. I have to make a conscious effort to get them on straight, but they don't quite feel right. I just used one of Art Fawcett's conformers to take measurements for a custom fitting and I looked long and hard to see if I could tell if my head is shaped in a way that makes the hats sit off-center, but it wasn't conclusive. I still think it's my head, though. Maybe one of Art's custom fits will solve the problem.

On the other hand, I like a little asymmetry in a hat--it makes for an individual look.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
That Slant is something else!

My hats are never on 'straight', as I put them on with my left hand, angling them to the left a bit. Having a small tilt adds uniqueness, attitude, and what not. Like Frank Sinatra once said, "Cock your hat, angles are attitudes."

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
Every hat I have ever, worn: safari, outback, fedora or flat cap (no matter the quality of hat ), has always sat on my head about an inch and a half crooked off-centre. Is this because my head is hopelessly misshapen, or is it because I always use the same hand to take the hat on and off?
The hats are always comfortable, but just look peculiar. Comments? Suggestions?

Pictures or how can anyone comment.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
There is a thread on Indiana Jones fedora that shows he wore his slightly askew. I never noticed until they pointed it out.

At least you are not as bad off as Fred Allen's friend whose forehead was so wrinkled he had to screw his hat on (joke).

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I am also reminded of the advice Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Bing Crosby provide in the song "You Either Got, or Haven't Got Style."

"A flower's not a flower if it's wilted/A hat's not a hat 'til it's tilted."

I find that few hats look right worn flat and straight, except some military uniforms and royal crowns. A little tilt adds interest and personality. And style.

Hamlet

New in Town
T
My hats are never on 'straight', as I put them on with my left hand, angling them to the left a bit. Having a small tilt adds uniqueness, attitude, and what not. Like Frank Sinatra once said, "Cock your hat, angles are attitudes."

My grandfathers and all the old timers I have ever come into contact with ALL wear their hats at aggressive angles. Have yet to see one sitting straight.

A friend's pic. Head cocked left, hat cocked right.

oldtimer_zpsde194547.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy