Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A huge thank you to those bringing business to South Street Hats

ijhutch

New in Town
South Street Hats and Oscar = THE BEST

I'm going to perform some necromancy and post in this thread :cool: months later, but I have to give a shout out to South Street Hats.

My poor Bogart style fedora from my college days (about 20 years ago) was dusty-dirty, had a terribly faded band, and was in sad shape (it had been stored in a paper bag). It's nothing fancy...unlined, simple felt, layered band--but it has sentimental value to me.

I finally decided that it was time to fix it up, store it properly, and just start wearing it again 'cuz it's just a classy-cool hat!

I googled and found this forum with references to South Street Hats and this dude named Oscar--his history and that of the posters on this board who have been there were...colorful in a great way. It sounded too good to be true. And then there's the price: $8 for a clean and block?

Well, before increasing my carbon footprint by sending my hat across country, I figured that I'd try and support my local hat shops. Driving by one, I noted the name and called it the next day. They wanted like $30+ for a clean and block. When I asked about replacing the band, they said that they probably wouldn't be able to do it, but if they could, it would be like $20.

Practically, from a financial standpoint, I think I bought the hat for like $30 back in the day. But I wanted to also check out ol' Oscar's store. So I boxed it up, included a letter (referencing this forum), and sent it off.

Not only did he clean and block it, he replaced the band with another beautiful black one AND added a special touch--a cool looking feather (which both my kids AND the wife really like). He then included a hat box for me that was boxed in a plain cardboard box (i.e., it was double boxed) and sent it back.

Let's just say I got out for WAY under $50. I strongly recommend South Street Hats--Oscar is great to deal with. His style of customer service is absolutely refreshing.

http://www.SouthStreetHats.com 215-829-1600 in Philly, PA

Tell him "the guy from Phoenix" sent you. I credit tortswon in the following thread, though: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43026

* ijhutch *

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Oscar really is a great guy and gives a fair deal to his customers. Having been in his store and met him and his crew, I weep for the slow death of shops like his all over. Glad to see he has a new customer to keep the blood pumping! :D

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Just brought them an Adam, a Creighton and a Dobbs, all vintage, to clean.

Of the hats they sell, so far the Selentinos impress me the most.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Got my hats back in 24 hours. A+ work. One 50-year-old hat looks like new! And the stingy grey's brim is now turned down more so it's perfect. A feather is missing but that's OK; I can always get another one from them or from a shop closer to home if I feel like it. I've got another hat they can work on some day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW