Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A jacket that changed my life

Peacoat

Bartender
Sister Morphine is a haunting yet beautiful song. Ry Cooder's slide guitar is just amazing. I'm glad she thrives.
I didn't find Sister Morphine. Had I listened to it, my question would have been, Ry Cooder or Jesse Edwin Davis? If anyone understands the background to that question, then he is well versed in the blues.

OK, just found the song. That is not Jesse Edwin Davis, who was one of the premier slide players of all time (along with Duane Allman). Ry Cooder is good, but he is no Jesse Edwin Davis or Duane Allman.

Sorry about getting off topic, but there are few things as interesting as women in leather jackets, the ever beautiful songbird Marianne Faithful and the slide guitar.

And yes, the woman in the post above this one on the BMW in the leather jacket is quite striking.

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I didn't find Sister Morphine. Had I listened to it, my question would have been, Ry Cooder or Jesse Edwin Davis? If anyone understands the background to that question, then he is well versed in the blues.

OK, just found the song. That is not Jesse Edwin Davis, who was one of the premier slide players of all time (along with Duane Allman). Ry Cooder is good, but he his no Jesse Edwin Davis or Duane Allman.

Sorry about getting off topic, but there are few things as interesting as women in leather jackets, the ever beautiful songbird Marianne Faithful and the slide guitar.

And yes, the woman in the post above this one on the BMW in the leather jacket is quite striking.
Oh yea.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Oddly, the jacket that changed my life was a Hugo Boss grey suede thing I bought in the sales on Buchanan Street. Got it home, found it had a red felt tip pen mark on it, left by whoever was marking it down, and took it back. Basically, this broke the mental barrier I had on buying an expensive leather jacket and sent me off on a Google search for 'the best leather jackets in the world', which gave me two 'life changing' responses: it introduced me to Aero and the world of high-end leather jackets; and 2. led me to here...

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Oh yea.
In 1968, Taj Mahal released his debut album. Born Henry Saint Clair Fredericks on May 17, 1942, this multi-instrumentalist remains to this day a faithful practitioner of the blues. The eponymous LP “Taj Mahal,” on the Columbia label, includes such blues standards as “Dust My Broom” and “Checkin’ up on My Baby” and an electric version of “Statesboro Blues.” The McTell tune is the second cut on side one, with the “Same personnel as Band 1” who include: Jesse Edwin Davis on lead guitar and Ryland P. Cooder on rhythm guitar. Both Jesse Ed Davis (who died in 1988) and Ry Cooder are well known in musical circles and have lengthy and accomplished careers, the former as a session man and the latter as a multi-instrumentalist, composer, and producer. And both have well deserved reputations as slide guitar players par excellence. On the record, Taj and the band commendably romp and shuffle for almost exactly three minutes at medium tempo through “Statesboro Blues,” invoking Elmore James slide guitar licks. As “Arranged by Taj Mahal,” as stated on the record sleeve, the song captures imagery from the original, including grandma and grandpa in the corner, and Statesboro is definitively located (“Statesboro, Georgia, that is” proclaims Taj). There is not, however, a train reference. After Taj, the stage was now set for the Allman Brothers Band and their contribution to the song’s evolution. Substantiated legend has it that Duane’s brother Gregg gave the guitarist a copy of “Taj Mahal” and a small glass bottle of the cold medicine, Coricidin, on an occasion when Duane was sick. Duane woodshedded to perfect his slide guitar chops done on the Taj recording by either Jesse Ed Davis or Ry Cooder.

https://www.loc.gov/programs/static...servation-board/documents/StatesboroBlues.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21