Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A look at the real “Cops and Robbers” of the Depression.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have a close friend who’s a crime historian of the Prohibition and Depression eras. He has read many books pertaining to the life of famous Gangsters and Lawmen and everyday life of those years.

I recall a post about the Mobster’s Ball in San Fran and some members feeling uneasy about a themed event relating to that side of history… well, my friend wanted me to help those understand the period a little better before jumping to the normal conclusion regarding Gangsters and Mobs of the “roaring twenties” and “dirty thirties”.

Here are his words:

The typical idea of gangsters being killers and plunderers; who is "good" and who is "bad" battle can only be said by someone who has a limited knowledge about the subject other then what Hollywood has portrayed.

First off, everyone needs to know that John Dillinger and Al Capone could not have existed for one millisecond without the protection and help from the police and politicians.

Most people don't know that many of the bigger bank robberies were arraigned by the banks themselves. What had happened was that bank officials had stolen or embezzled large amounts of money to invest in the stock market. Well the market crashed and they had to make up the money some how so a robbery was arraigned. They got a hold of the mob through dirty cops who had those connections. The mob got a hold of Dillinger or someone of his profession. The bank robbers would come in and steal say 50 thousand, and the bank would claim 250 thousand was stolen, or what ever they needed to make the books balance again. The mob, police, and politicians would get a cut.

Did you know that police would talk some random hobo into robbing their local bank? He'd tell them, "I'm the law and I'll make sure I don't catch you and we can meet outside of town after and divide the loot". Well when the hobo/bank robber met the law officer outside of town after, he would be killed and the money taken. Some times the law officer would actually collect a reward in addition!

Let’s talk about Lee Simmons. Never heard of him you say?
Well he was head of the Texas prison system when Clyde Barrow was there. Did you know that he organized death squads to go to the various prisons KILLING inmates he deemed "troublesome"?

Did you know that Frank Hammer, the man who killed Clyde Barrow, is credited with killing 55-65 men? That’s like 5 times the number of men Clyde was even involved killing (he only pulled the trigger on maybe 4 people). Frank Hammer was a KILLER with a badge. And he ENJOYED it!

Did you know that the East Chicago cop directly involved in killing Dillinger was boyfriend to a madam and DIRECTLY connected to the Chicago mob? He was not an unusual kind of cop.

This is only the TIP of the iceberg!

So the idea that enjoying this part of our nations history, that involves gangsters and bank robbers, is promoting killing or robbing is naive in the extreme. There's more to life and history then the shallow, millionaire peacocks of Hollywood… even they had dirty rotten skeletons hanging in their closets! Not all but, enough to make mention… no one on this earth is, or ever was perfect!

I don't see where anyone, with an incomplete understanding of this subject’s history, should be censoring anyone’s interest in this period. Especially to make some "moral" point that's based on flawed knowledge.

Knowledge is power; before taking a standing on a historical or moral topic, one should be well informed and well educated to what he or she believes in.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

His words may be blunt however, to the point without fancy coats of sugar. He is about promoting real history, the way it happened; Hollywood seems to misrepresent sides in many cases… always makes the law out to be the good guys… not always the case. In those early days, it was almost like the old west… there was very little true law and order in large cities such as Chicago and New York. Not saying that there weren't any good men on the forces of Chicago or New York in those days, just saying that it was tougher to be such and those who were had very little say because the upper brass was corrupt and one had to do things they didn't feel right about to keep his job and the bread on the table in those hard times.

History is so fascinating, when one really digs, one finds answers or, finds out more then they’d expect to find. History is full of mystery and stories that only witnesses can tell… and thank goodness a good deal of them have recorded what they remember for future generations.

FM~

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
Interesting stuff FM.

Of course a lot of Hollywood's blatant misrepresentation is due to the hypocritical production code of the times. The 20's and 30's were swinging times in America but a lot of the "powers that be" still had antiquated Victorian morals.

The crooks and politicians are still strange bedfellows today. They just do a little better job of covering their paper trail.

Best, Toots

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another thing most folks don't realize is that the average person had nothing to fear from the gangsters of the era. The did not commit crimes against citizens but rather against institutions such as banks and law enforcement. They didn't stick up some poor schmuck that just cashed his check in the parking lot, rape women during the commission of other crimes or take innocent hostages. The robbers fought the cops and had shoot outs with them not Ma and Pa Kettle-type store owners.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Interesting info, Forgotten Man. Could you give some suggestions into good books that you know of that detail the research and history of some of the points you've brought up?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, this is off to a GREAT discussion! I'm excited!

Since that is something my friend wrote, I'm not too clear on all the books he's read, there are many but, one of his favorites is Public Enemies by Bryan Burrough. It is quite a good book... I've started to read it and find it very fascinating... it goes into great detail and is very accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Public-Enemies-Americas-Greatest-1933-34/dp/1594200211

Twitch, you made a good point! The big time gangsters didn't really bother the average joe blow, they pretty much kept to their own kind... fighting other mobs and the police. The kind of crook that the average Joe feared was more of two bit crooks, like your common street thug and such... or, the guy who's at the end of his rope and knockin' over a gas station or small store was the only way he was going to be able to buy food.

John Dillinger is said that his life of crime started out by robbing a small store... they all had to start somewhere.

One of the movies I enjoy is "Scareface" from 1933... it is dark, and really is quite powerful if one looks past some of the corny lines... myself, I love the corny lines but, there are some parts of that movie that kinda effected me... and that feeling went on for hours after the film ended.

FM~

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
Actually Bonnie and Clyde do not fall into the “Honorable Crook” category. They and their “gang” never robbed a bank in their entire career. They chose to rob the small Mom and Pop establishments, where there would be little or no resistance, and sometimes with deadly results for Mom or Pop. They did not have the intelligence or guts to pull off a real job like John Dillinger.
Dillinger even complained that the couple of punks were giving real crooks a bad name. No I am sorry, but Bonnie and Clyde were no Robin Hoods, they were truly cheap, murdering thugs.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Bonnie and Clyde

I believe that they weren’t as vicious as some believe, they spent most of their time running from the law, sleeping in their car and living a pretty wretched life. Some may say they deserve what they got, well, if one takes a deep look at what happened when they were gunned down, what they depicted in the movie pales in comparison. They had Thompson’s, BAR’s (which are more powerful then Thompson’s) and all sorts of other firearms trained on the little ’34 four door Ford. It was over the top I feel. The photos of Bonnie after the blaze of bullets is really quite sad. It really wasn’t lawful how they handled Bonnie and Clyde at all.

hintonpic.jpg

FM~

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Mr. K.L.Bowers said:
They and their “gang” never robbed a bank in their entire career. They chose to rob the small Mom and Pop establishments, where there would be little or no resistance, and sometimes with deadly results for Mom or Pop.

Even Raymond Hamilton, self-styled 'gentleman bandit', made it a point to distance himself from the Barrow Gang after leaving, considering Clyde and associates 'small time' and unable to pull off a bank heist. Hamilton was an escape artist, electric chair executee with a 362 year prison sentence, had a violent disposition and a weasel-like personality. Some of the murders associated with the Barrow gang were actually Hamilton's doing while running with Clyde. The 'biggest' jobs the Barrow Gang pulled were armory raids to pick up weapons and ammunition. Most of their gun battles were happenstance, people being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Were it not for Bonnie Parker, Clyde Barrow would have been another footnote in history. The thought of a young bandit couple did and still does captivate both the general public and popular media. There are indications that Bonnie was mostly along for the ride and an unwilling accomplice in some cases.

I'll bang this gong again...popular culture takes the most extreme cases and examples of an era, stretches it out to encompass and overlap the surrounding eras, and paints everything within with a broad brush. The details disappear, and you're left with pinstripe suits with a fedora being 'gangster'. Move forward 15-20 years and you're looking at every young girl wearing poodle skirts, and just about anything with wheels being a '57 Chevy or a rodded '32 coupe. Aberrations become icons, icons become standards, standards become cliches, and those of us who know the difference become irritated at the general lack of sense.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
My hat is off to you guys, I am truly enjoying this thread.

I'm about talking over facts and stories told, this is very interesting. I have sent some of the comments made here to my friend, he hasn't a computer right now so, I am waiting for his response on a few of the points made.

I've told many people this before, I'm into history, the good side and the ugly side, I'm into real history and as long as it comes from real accounts (Even if some can be found to be flawed) I'm interested in what is to be said!

Some things mentioned in the "Mobster's Ball" thread posted in Events kinda drove me to start a thread about the "John Laws" and "Big Lugs" of those years... so people could gain a better perspective as to the real stories and real life of the period, other then what they see on the surface. One needs to peal away the top layers and dig to find real history.

Let's keep this ball rollin'!

FM~

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
You are correct in that Bonnie and Clyde did not have a chance when they were gunned down. I actually saw the car in the 60’s when it was being paraded around the country, skimming off the popularity of the movie. The photos do not tell the entire story. The destruction to the vehicle is much more impressive in real time.
However the same model guns that were pointed at the Ford were found in the Ford after the ambush was successful. The Barrow gang maintained quite an impressive array of weapons, partly due to the raids on National Guard arsenals. Also on at least one occasion they did gun down unsuspecting officer after asking for directions. A little joke on their part.
George Nelson, John Dillinger, George Kelly and many more of the famous gangsters of the 30’s were of a different breed, a class of their own. And many did get a bum wrap. Bonnie and Clyde, ……….

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Sir, you are correct. The Barrow gang did have quite some firepower… they are in a different league then Dillinger and the other big timers.

They had to be stopped, and I agree with that… but, the point I am trying to make is that the man (Frank Hammer) who killed Bonnie and Clyde is just as bad, even though he was on the “Law’s side” he enjoyed killing… and he killed quite a few behind the badge. Now, if a man is with the law, if the individual enjoys his job in that regard (killing) the lawman is no better then the outlaw.

That day May 23, 1934, on a desolate road near their Bienville Parish, Louisiana hideout will be known as a blood bath for a long time to come… because the failure to warn the duo of impending death… it wasn’t handled well and it wasn’t lawful the way it was executed. The reports didn't match from my understanding... the police looked like a mess of idiots... the storries didn't add up.

Two of my good friends have seen the death car and they both told me how bad it is… it is amazing that it is held together at all. In fact, one of my friends owns a swatch of blue serge from Clyde’s pants he wore that day… his “Death pants” if you will. They came from the actual pair of trousers that were saved by the family. They were later cut into small swatches and sold off to collectors. Kind of sad, wish they were on display with the car… oh well.

Let's move away from the Clyde gang... let's talk about someone else... howabout "Ol' Creepy" Alvin Karpis!

FM~

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
The truth shall set you free!

I'm glad someone has sorted through the emotions and made sense. Those of us who "re-create and reenact" the gangsters of the period do not agree with what they did. It was a hard time for most of the "common" folks then, especially those in the farming/ rural regions. They did what they had to do to survive.

Harry Pierpont stated at his trial when the prosecutor accused him of engineering $300,000 in bank robberies in the short time he was out of jail. "'I wish I had,' Pierpont told the court. 'Well, at least if I did, I'm not like some bank robbers -- I didn't get myself elected president of the bank first.'

"The crowd burst into laughter and the judge ordered the last few lines stricken from the record.

"'That's the kind of man you are, isn't it?' prodded [the prosecutor].

'Yes," retorted the prisoner, encouraged by the audience response. "I'm not the kind of man you are -- robbing widows and orphans. You'd probably be like me if you had the nerve."

Yes those were hard times.

Well as I said we do not do this to glorify criminals, we do it for history's sake. The same way those who do military reenactments do not do it to glorify war.

Harry

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Clyde Barrow

Mr. K.L.Bowers said:
They and their “gang” never robbed a bank in their entire career. They chose to rob the small Mom and Pop establishments, where there would be little or no resistance, and sometimes with deadly results for Mom or Pop.

Banks known to have been robbed by Clyde Barrow:

1. Unknown bank in the Midwest. Sometime between March 25th and April 11, 1932. Take: $33,000.

2. Farmers and Miners Bank, Orongo, Missouri - November 30, 1932. One of the few occasions when Clyde Barrow was required to fire a weapon during a bank robbery. He returned fire at a bank teller that pulled a gun and townspeople that fired at them as they drove away. No one was hit. Take:$100

3. Lucerne State Bank, Lucerne Indiana-May 12, 1933. A few shots were fired inside the bank and no one was hit. No money was taken.

4.First State Bank, Okabena, Minnesota- May 19th, 1933. There was an exchange of gunfire and no one was hit. Take:$1,419

5. First National Bank, Rembrant, Iowa - January 23, 1934. Take:$3,800.

6. Central National Bank, Poteau, Oklahoma - January 25th, 1934. Take:$1,500

7.State Savings Bank, Knierim, Iowa - February 1, 1934. Take:$272

8. R.P. Henry and Sons Bank, Lancaster, Texas - February 27th, 1934. Clyde returned $27 to a bank customer rather than take his WPA Paycheck. Take: $4,176.

9. First National Bank, Stuart, Iowa- April 16th, 1934. Take:$1,500.

10. Farmers Trust and Savings, Everly, Iowa - May 3, 1934. Take:$700.

There are more that are suspected to be Clyde's work; but the evidence isn't as strong.

Here's a really good book on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonnie-Clyde-Twenty-First-Century-James-Knight/dp/1571687947

And where should we start with Karpis?

Les

dostacos

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
I believe that they weren’t as vicious as some believe, they spent most of their time running from the law, sleeping in their car and living a pretty wretched life. Some may say they deserve what they got, well, if one takes a deep look at what happened when they were gunned down, what they depicted in the movie pales in comparison. They had Thompson’s, BAR’s (which are more powerful then Thompson’s) and all sorts of other firearms trained on the little ’34 four door Ford. It was over the top I feel. The photos of Bonnie after the blaze of bullets is really quite sad. It really wasn’t lawful how they handled Bonnie and Clyde at all.

hintonpic.jpg

FM~
just read about them, and I would have to disagree with you, he killed at least 5 cops, and his favorite weapon was a cut down BAR that he could shoot from the inside of a car. they robbed lots of regular people and stole their cars. they had shot their way out of at least one police stake out. They armed up and took care of business.....

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
dostacos said:
just read about them, and I would have to disagree with you, he killed at least 5 cops, and his favorite weapon was a cut down BAR that he could shoot from the inside of a car. they robbed lots of regular people and stole their cars. they had shot their way out of at least one police stake out. They armed up and took care of business.....

Yes, you're correct, however, Clyde was a desperado, Bonnie never really fired anything at anyone... she could reload but, she never pulled the trigger from what I have learned... I could be wrong… yes; she was an accomplice to Clyde… I could be wrong but, I think she was more going along with the excitement and romance of being an outlaw.

Let's talk about some of the big timers, Capone, Karpis, Dillinger or even Mickey Cohen! Now, that guy was a tough mug!

FM~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner